• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How did you get started?

I got started when I was about 12. My uncle had a Suzuki dirtbike. It was big and the seat was about my chest height. He would hold the bike upright for us to climb on to it where me and my cousins just barely could reach the pegs. then he'd kick it in to first gear for us and we'd just feather the clutch out while he ran beside for a few feet (same way you would do for your kid when they get the training wheels off their pedal bikes the first time). I made it about 20 feet on the first try. 2nd try I got a 1/4 mile. That was it for about 20 yrs when my 1/4 life crisis kicked in and I started hanging around bikers at work and looking for bikes on ebay/CL. My darling wife signed me up for the MSF class for my birthday. I bought my first bike from one of my friends at my then job for $800. It didn't run when I bought it or for the few months it took me to learn how to work on bikes. I've put about 300 miles on it so far. The bike is a 1980 Yamaha XS1100 Special.

3 reasons I started riding motorcycles:
1. Evel Knievel
2. Then Came Bronson
3. My grandfather's gas station. I worked there pumping gas on Saturdays beginning at 12 years of age. We all know what happens on those magical Saturday mornings right? Well I was young and I grew up in rural West Virginia not a stellar state from an economic perspective but some of the best riding roads in the country. IMO... It was a small country gas station in Lavalette, WV. Fortunately, it was just outside of Huntington, WV. A town of about 50,000 people. There were many bikers from town that came out towards the country to ride the country roads. Many stopped to get gas at my grandfather's gas station and while I pumped a lot of gas I was never permitted (by the bike owner) to pump gas in his bike. As I would hand off the gas nozzle I found myself mesmerized by the motorcycle itself. I had many discussions with bikers and found them and their machines interesting. Scores of other bikers would simply pass by and wave. All of this left a powerful impression on me.

My mother wouldnt let me get a motorcycle as a young kid. My father was a drag racer and understood my fascination with mechanical things but to this day I dont think he's ever ridden a motorcycle. I think my mom's decision was influenced by what she saw me do on that Honda 50 when I was 7-12 years old. I was always a big kid and I remember riding that Honda 50 for way longer than I should have. At that developmental stage, you tend to get more brave with every day that goes by. Long story short.....I think my mom is still scarred from my stunt days on that little red Honda 50. Her position was, "when you turn 18 you can do/get whatever you want". In my mom's defense I think she was hoping that my fascination with motorbikes would eventually subside......it didnt.

The fall after I turned 17 I bought my first motorcycle. It was a 1982 Honda V45 Magna (750). It had 17k miles on it and I remember paying $1800 for it. Much of that money was saved from working at the gas station as I increased my hours and responsibilities as I grew older. At 17 I rode that bike to South Carolina for a beach trip in all it was about 500 miles and took me about 10 hours or so. I also rode it to countless shorter trips around the region. I rode it for a few years and sold it for $1800.

If you fast forward 25 years or so I have owned around 12-15 motorcycles and I currently have 5 in the garage. I have never owned a dirt bike but I really believe that if I had learned to ride on a dirt bike I would have been a much safer rider when I began riding on the road. I am truly lucky I didnt hurt myself or someone else when I bought that 750. If I would have owned a dirt bike as a kid I feel that I would be a better rider...even today.

When I am out riding and stop in a remote gas station I always pay particular attention to the young impressionable kids/adolescents that may be around. I feel like if I represent the character of the bikers I met in my youth then the chances are good that I may be sharing the road along side that young person some day in the future.

In the summer of '03, I was about to enter my senior year of college at USC. I don't know how many of you have ever lived in LA, but it sucks to be there without a car. Everything is spread out and the public transporation blows. A car was out of the question for me, but I had scraped up enough cash to buy a buddy's Ninja 250, and took the MSF course and got licensed. Then I made the mistake of mentioning my plans to my parents....

Them: "What are you talking about? You're not buying a motorcycle!"
Me: "Yes I am, I'm sick of not being able to get around, and this is the only thing I can afford."
Them: "No, it's too dangerous, especially in LA. We won't let you."
Me: "The only way you're supporting me is by putting me through college, and you're not going to pull me out of school over this. I'm buying it anyway."
Them: "Umm... what if we buy you a car instead?"

So, I ended up with an '00 Mustang GT, and a MC license with no MC. Sadness. Then I graduated, and the parents said that the car I got also counted as my graduation present... to which I replied that it wasn't keeping me from not buying a MC then :lol2:

I ended up moving out to Texas shortly thereafter, and in the spring of '06 finally picked up an SV650S. I put 30 miles on it the first day without leaving the parking lot of my apartment complex. By the following week, I was confident enough to ride it to work, and never really stopped. Once I realized how enjoyable it was, I was quite peeved at my parents for tricking me into getting a car instead. I sold the SV after about 7 months and got my VFR, and did my first trackday a few months later... So, I've been riding for about 2 years exactly, and have a bit more then 30,000 miles under my belt, and enjoyed (mostly) every one.

Oh, and I still have the Mustang. It doesn't get out of the garage much.

At age 14, bought a Bridgestone 60, rode it 12-14 months, bought a Suzuki TS120. Broke my arm on it. Moved clutch to front brake side and continued to ride - throttle & clutch on same side, no front brake for six weeks!

Next bike was a TS250 Suzuki, and the bikes just line up from there. All this started almost 40 years ago. Still going. (Did have a dry spell when the kids came along.)

Hey Teuchter, don't feel bad, not everyone had a bike as a kid. I have wanted a bike as long as I can remember, but Mom would have none of it. Lost a few years in the '80s, my first wife would have none of it either. Kids, school...finally about five years ago my 2nd wife said go ahead:clap: . I got a '93 Sportster from a buddy & cut my teeth around town on that. I try not to think about all the miles i missed out on.

Once I realized how enjoyable it was, I was quite peeved at my parents for tricking me into getting a car instead.

:lol2: They didn't trick you, man. They bought you a car! See, that's a good thing.

Now you're on two wheels and loving it. More power to you.

My brother built a mini bike in shop, McCollah Power Products off our racing cart, scrub brake, no suspension. He burnt up the the centrifigal clutch and I hammered in wooden clothes pins and rode it. hooked! The gas tank cap would vibrate loose and the exhaust pipe ran under the tank. It was hot:eek2: :rofl: we burnt the seat up several times! My first was a Yamaha 80. 1969 the year of my first license! Learned to drag the pegs on that thing:eek2: You would have to understand the tire technology is not what it is today. Watching Daytona on Wide World of Sports:clap: Easy Rider. Then Came Bronson. Evel. Got to hang out at a "biker" shop sitting on H/D back in the mid 60s waiting on a friends Hodake Ace 90 mini bike to get a Tiger taillight.
I love bike shops to this day!:rider:

I've always like motorcycles and cars and heard stories from my dad about him riding various British bikes before he could afford a car in the UK. After being in the states for a few years I guess he thought me and the bro were ready so he bought us a Honda CT 70 (trail 70) however it was in parts. At first I wasn't too pleased with a bike that wouldn't run but after spending a summer rebuilding the machine and then actually riding it it was too cool. That project tought be so much about working on bikes and cars.

Later moved up to an SL100, Suzuki TM 125 and Yamaha YZ250 dirt bikes. When I was 15 Dad gave me a CB200 for the street and had my cycle license first. Made my way up to a Monza V50 and Honda S700 nighthawk before doing the radical RD400 that was only just streetable.

Took a few years off after moving to DFW then bought the BMW 1100S Boxcup.

I didn't get into riding motorcycles until I was already dating John in 2004. I've always liked them, but since my dad rode and crashed one, we didn't talk about it.

John was a non-stop motorcycle nut, so I was actually able to talk about my interest without negative comments and the rest is history. Did the MSF course and bought a Ninja 250 shortly after.

Funny thing though, as soon as I got mine, my dad got himself a Kawi Nomad.

Hrm :trust:

Started out with a 5-hp Montgomery Wards minibike. I don't know if I rode it more than it rode me or vice-versa. Acouple of years later a friend let me ride his Honda 50 Cub. I talked my Dad into a Honda CL100 that I could ride around the farm. I was about 9 yrs old and I could ride it to my tractor or to check the irrrigation in the summer. My brother had a SL 125, but he wasn't into bikes like I was so when I wore out the CL I finished on his SL. I got to graduate up to a CL 350 when I was 13. I had a red one that I rode until it blew up one day and then I got a blue one just like it. I would ride it to school which was about 25 miles away. There were times during the year that I would have ice in my hair when I got to school, but it beat the heck out of riding the school bus. I had to quit riding it when I was 15 because the local Highway Patrol caught me and I didn't have a liscense. Oh well back on the bus for one more year. I got my drivers liscense and started driving a pickup to school and saving money for a new bike. My Sr. year I got a 1978 Yamaha TT 500. That thing would try to break your leg if you let it. Tons of torque and would do wheelies for miles. Handled like crap in the dirt though. Figured I better get rid of it before I killed myself. I went to the local Honda dealer and saw a new 1978 GL1000. Well, the TV show Then came Bronson was my favorite show and I was having visions of myself traveling on a bike, which I had been doing since I was 9 yrs. old. I would pack a bag and ride that little Honda CL over to my Grandparents house which was about 4 miles away. Got the GL and traveled on it puting on about 75000 miles until 1982 and the new Aspencade. I fell in love wiht that bike and bought one and got a new wife the next yr. We rode about 40000 miles on that one and then our Daughter was born and We didn't like leaving her and I didn't like leaving them so I put it in the barn and covered it up. Well about 3 yrs ago we happened to test ride a new 1800 wing and couldn't resist. We had the daughter just about thru college so now We have a 05 White 1800 Wing. Can't seem to find the time to ride it thought. Only have about 19000 miles on it. Maybe more this summer.

When I was around 7-8 years old, my Dad took me riding on his CB 450. We went dual sporting before it was called that... He did not have that bike long, but I never forgot it. Unfortunately, it was a longgg time before I would ever get back on a bike.

When I was 32, I had a buddy that made me an offer I could not refuse. He had just bought a ZRX-1100 when they came out. He had his old bike on consignment at a shop in Austin. It was a mint Cherry Red 92 Honda Nighthawk 750 with around 3K miles on it. After a quick chat with my wife, we decided it was time to do something fun. So we bought it.

hawk1.JPG

hawk2.JPG

hawk3.JPG

That is Will "birdwh" on the ZRK, me on the 750, and Beth on the Virago 535 Special.
hawk6.JPG

Beth took the MSF course with me and aced it. On the way home, she decided she needed her own bike. I shopped around a bit and found the Virago. She loved it. It was a great first bike.

IMG00262.JPG

VIRAGO1.JPG

It was all downhill after that. I moved on to a VFR 800 and she moved on to a Triumph Legend.

NC0001.jpg

MVC-027S.JPG

NC0044.JPG

After riding a friend's Triumph ST, she decided she needed something sportier... So we got her an SV 650S

GIVI2.JPG

MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

I eventually upgraded my 98 VFR 800 to a 2001 VFR 800. She got the 98, but with all blue OEM plastics (her fav color).

red01.jpg

blue01.jpg

98bluesilver3.jpg

I eventually got the dual sport bug and bought an 1150 GS.

DSC04075.JPG

We started having kids, so the VFR's went up for sale, as did the GS eventually. I replace it with a KLR 650. Beth no longer had her own bike, but she wasn't riding much anymore anyway.

DSC04860.JPG

I was having fun on the KLR, but I was missing the street manners of the GS. So I lucked into a nice Vstrom 650 to compliment the KLR.

IMG_2062.JPG

The Vstrom 650 is a great bike, but it was not long before I was REALLY missing my 1150 GS. SoI sold the Vstrom, kept the KLR, and found me a 1200 GS.

IMG_1128.jpg

Utah_0094.jpg

Utah_0484.jpg

Utah_0510.jpg

The KLR was getting long in the tooth after 15K miles of adventure. I fell into a sweet deal on a KTM 530 EXC, which I still have.

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

Utah_0193.JPG

Utah_0380.JPG

Utah_0405.JPG

Utah_0602.JPG

My 05 1200 GS had the EVO power assisted brakes. I was never wild about those and when I got a chance to upgrade to a 2007 1200 GS without the EVO brakes, I jumped on it.

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

P1080714.jpg

P1080766.jpg

P1080768.jpg

So, there's 20 years of my bikes. The 2010 KTM 530 EXC and 07 BMW R1200 GS are my current rides. I have an itch for some newer bikes, but right now things just aren't working out that way. Still, both of these are great bikes and they cover pretty much ALL of the kinds of riding I do. Dad planted that seed all those years ago taking me out on his BIG Honda CB 450 (they considered a 450 big back in the early 70s :-P). Neither of us realized how long it would take or whether or not it would even grow. I got a late start compared to many riders here, but I've tried to make up for lost time :rider:

Back