• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How do I change my Avatar?

Okay, I now have the join date showing under the user avatar ;-) Just took a while to figure out where that option was in the myriad admin control menus!

So for now all avatars are the same size?

If you are a regular computer, just put the mouse over the person's avatar and wait a second. If you are on a phone, just put your thumb/finger on the avatar and hold it for a second or two. A small box pops up with all that info.
Ah yes, mucho better, I see um now. Now to get klb1122 to fix my avatar.

Mine's not as sharp as it originally was AND it wasn't centered correctly, but I did find where I could move the image. So I did that and now it's centered. Still blurry, but centered.

Mine's not as sharp as it originally was AND it wasn't centered correctly, but I did find where I could move the image. So I did that and now it's centered. Still blurry, but centered.
Hi, is that new b fit gym open for business there in yoakum? It used to be the alco store i think. Got to get out there this week for repairs sometime.

The lack of sharpness is a result of how the forum scales the images apparently. There are numerous other forum admins griping about this on the XF support forums. I don't know if they will do anything about it or not :shrug: There is nothing I can do at the moment.

Anybody see an improvement in the sharpness of the images on your end?

I think some folks still need to upload a new avatar image, so that there is a big image (400 X 400) to start with that has good sharpness and then perhaps crop it so that the longest dimension is 400 depending on if your images is tall or wide. If you have a landscape style image, make the width 400. If you have a portrait style image, make the height 400. I think this will keep the proportions you want in your image. I'll have to experiment with it on my end to be sure. Feedback from you guys can't hurt though ;-)

I've taken a new picture and sized it 800x800. See about the clarity, seems about the same

86 Wing sqa800.jpg

The recommended size is 400 X 400 when you go to upload it.

Sharpness will also depend on the original image. To me, your avatar and the image in the body of your post look about the same in terms of sharpness.

Just tried the 800 for giggles, seemed to be about the same as the 400

86 Wing sqa400.jpg

I can't tell any difference, above is 400, it seems less clear than the 800
Picture started as 2368x2368

The program you are using to resize it seems to be pixelizing the image when it reduces the size. The image above actually looks worse. Although, the current avatar looks about as good as it make get regardless.

I use Irfanview, it is free. www.irfanview.com

Open the image, CTRL R for resize and it usually does a great job. Save it and you should be good to go.

The IrfanView is doing a better job, thanks. It still isn't as clear as the 800x size but a marked difference in the 400x done with MS Office Picture Manager. This photo was cropped with the Pic Manager so the loos of quality may have started there, I'll have to see if I have the unmolested original and try the Irfan program from start to finish.

Thank you Scott

Mike, what did you use to take the new pic? Can you set it for standard and not widescreen . Use the device you used to take the pic to crop it to square dimension (if able) then upload it to the site (like a smartphone or tablet). I'm thinking the pc software is causing the blurry condition.

his avatar looks fine to me now :shrug: I think it would be hard to get it any sharper looking.

StromXTc

Used a Canon and took it vertically so as to crop it into a square, since the avatars are a square dimension. Yes the MS Office Picture Manager was what caused the issue on the smaller 400x photo, using the IrfanView produced a clearer 400x photo, not as sharp as the 800x size but very close.

I have been using Irfanview for close to 20 years now. It is great for basic stuff. Real simple and easy to use. I like the thumbnail viewer feature. After you open the program, hit T. That opens a new window where you can browse directories and view all the images like they were on a contact viewer. You can set the size you want the thumbnails to be. It REALLY makes it easy to do ride reports and/or find images. If you want to see one of the thumbnails full size, just double click it and it opens in the regular part of the program. There is also a nice slide show feature in the main program. Very easy to use. I will often set it to a directory with pictures from a trip and have it display on the big screen TV in the living room and let it run in loop mode. It is a great conversation starter when company comes over.

StromXTc

Used a Canon and took it vertically so as to crop it into a square, since the avatars are a square dimension. Yes the MS Office Picture Manager was what caused the issue on the smaller 400x photo, using the IrfanView produced a clearer 400x photo, not as sharp as the 800x size but very close.
Was thinkin that a web device with camera (smartphone,tablet) directly uploaded might yield better results . This was all I was trying to say eariler. Course im not the 800lb computer guru in the room :-P.

Back