• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How do I sell a non running bike?

Monica

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who's asked for my help selling a nonrunning bike. It's a custom chopper that hasn't been ridden in more than a few years. I have all the paperwork on it so at least I've got details and photos I took. But otherwise I don't really know the bike. Also the bike is at their house so I'm not sure how we're going to do the 'can I look at it?' request. I've been given a dollar request for what they want for it.

How do I sell this thing? Should putting it at a bike shop on consignment be a consideration? I have no experience selling a nonrunning bike and a custom chopper is way out of my wheelhouse. I could use some advice. Thanks.

Last edited:
put some pics up here to start with and perhaps someone will know more about customs; provide brand year and model it was based off of. If its a home built job the value is probably really low. if a name brand factory build, perhaps higher, but really nice low mile ones in running shape from the early 2000's can be picked up for a song now, 8-10K for a bike that originally had over 40K or more sunk into it. There are lots of secondary markets for these bikes and auctions. It could go all over the board but I'd anticipate a low sales price, as it's a huge financial gamble getting it going again, particularly if it needs engine work. Its over $500 just for new rubber and a battery. Might be some additional registration costs as well, unless someone kept it registered, which is unlikely. Someone with mechanical ability will absorb whatever info is available from the owners, check to see if the motor spins, has spark, compression, etc. then decide if it's worth their time to try and resurrect, or just part it out. CL is a place to sell it but I cannot imagine the slimy characters a non running chopper would attract to their residence. Personally, I'd rather have it on a trailer and show it in the police department parking lot....

put some pics up here to start with and perhaps someone will know more about customs; provide brand year and model it was based off of. If its a home built job the value is probably really low. if a name brand factory build, perhaps higher, but really nice low mile ones in running shape from the early 2000's can be picked up for a song now, 8-10K for a bike that originally had over 40K or more sunk into it. There are lots of secondary markets for these bikes and auctions. It could go all over the board but I'd anticipate a low sales price, as it's a huge financial gamble getting it going again, particularly if it needs engine work. Its over $500 just for new rubber and a battery. Might be some additional registration costs as well, unless someone kept it registered, which is unlikely. Someone with mechanical ability will absorb whatever info is available from the owners, check to see if the motor spins, has spark, compression, etc. then decide if it's worth their time to try and resurrect, or just part it out. CL is a place to sell it but I cannot imagine the slimy characters a non running chopper would attract to their residence. Personally, I'd rather have it on a trailer and show it in the police department parking lot....

Good thoughts. I've thought about trying to work on to see if i can get it to run but it's out at their place. My tools are all here. Itd be easier to mess with it here but I simply dont have the room for it with two bikes already in my garage unless I temporarily move both of them out. I'm considering it.

So looking at the ppw the bike last had an appraisal in 09 which I believe when it was new. The bike is titled but idt the registration has been kept up.

It says an '09 ASVE w an Ultima 107ci and an Ultima 6spd and 3-3/8" drive belt. 250 custom rear fender and 21" front wheel and dual disk brakes. Frame is a Cut Throat Custom and Hawg Hauler front end.

Ive got an engine owners manual, drive belt assembly reference booklet and a ton of reciepts, it looks like documenting the entire build start to finish, including txdmv ppw for the title.

I've got pics, let me dig them up.

What would it take to get it running? If you can get it running, you've probably tripled the value - which, as others said, still won't be great in today's market.

I know nothing about custom choppers or the names you posted, so I'm clueless on the market value. But another thought is - if you find you can't get more than, say, $500 for it, you might consider stripping off a few parts & selling them instead. $100 each for good wheels, $100 for a good seat, $??? for fenders, and you may have already made more than the entire bike will sell for. Just a thought.

It probably has one big carburetor on it and would be relatively easy to remove, clean and tune.

Customs are hard enough to move. The market for them has really settled out since the Tuetuls went off the air (or cable) and Jesse James faded into obscurity after cheating on America's sweetheart, Sandra Bullock . A non-running custom may have the one perfect buyer but finding that person is the challenge.

I ride a Harley and a BMW. Not really a custom chopper kind of guy, but if the price was right I might be interested in tinkering with it. Also I would like to see a few pictures.

It appears you have a "one-up custom built bike" and the market is even smaller than Ed suggested. Cut Throat Customs is still listed as being in business in Humble, Texas. Their Facebook activity looks like 2018 was the last post but I don't use Facebook). Here's the phone #(281) 446-2009 that is listed for them. I would give them a call; find out if they built the bike or just the frame. If just the frame you most likely have a garage built 1-up custom and a potential buy would be buy nothing more than a bunch of parts that somebody else put together. In which case part it out and you might end up with a 2 or 3 thousand bucks. Ultima engines and transmission are good after market stuff and new one are available for $3500.

You must be a really good friend to take on this project. Good Luck!!!

Later, Bud...

If you just want to move it, put it on a trailer and haul it to a shop that specializes in custom choppers and see what they'll offer for it. I wouldn't take less than $5k for a complete bike with the details you listed. Otherwise part it out as above and you can maybe get some $$ out of it that way, but it can be harder to move components.

Last edited:
Selling customs is hard. I helped a neighbor once and it was not fun. Unless they don't really care what they get for it I would definitely try to get it running. Also check with the builder as they may have a line on a good customer for it.

How to sell a non running bike?
1. Cheaply
2. Get it running. Often times all it takes to make it at least run is something simple like a battery.

What would it take to get it running? If you can get it running, you've probably tripled the value - which, as others said, still won't be great in today's market.

I know nothing about custom choppers or the names you posted, so I'm clueless on the market value. But another thought is - if you find you can't get more than, say, $500 for it, you might consider stripping off a few parts & selling them instead. $100 each for good wheels, $100 for a good seat, $??? for fenders, and you may have already made more than the entire bike will sell for. Just a thought.
What will it take is a good question. Ideally a a tank and carb cleaning, new battery and oil change and it fires right up. But that's best case scenario. Idk the last time the engine has been turned over. So I need to see about doing that by hand. Its going to be a learning curve, I have no clue about this engine and transmission.

It probably has one big carburetor on it and would be relatively easy to remove, clean and tune.
Its is, a 44mm Mikuni I think, I gotta chk the exact model.

Customs are hard enough to move. The market for them has really settled out since the Tuetuls went off the air (or cable) and Jesse James faded into obscurity after cheating on America's sweetheart, Sandra Bullock . A non-running custom may have the one perfect buyer but finding that person is the challenge.
Yeah, this might be the long road. I halfway wondered if I can get it running if it'd be worth suggesting to approach a shop to see if perhaps consignment is a reasonable avenue.

I ride a Harley and a BMW. Not really a custom chopper kind of guy, but if the price was right I might be interested in tinkering with it. Also I would like to see a few pictures.
I'll get pics up soon.

It appears you have a "one-up custom built bike" and the market is even smaller than Ed suggested. Cut Throat Customs is still listed as being in business in Humble, Texas. Their Facebook activity looks like 2018 was the last post but I don't use Facebook). Here's the phone #(281) 446-2009 that is listed for them. I would give them a call; find out if they built the bike or just the frame. If just the frame you most likely have a garage built 1-up custom and a potential buy would be buy nothing more than a bunch of parts that somebody else put together. In which case part it out and you might end up with a 2 or 3 thousand bucks. Ultima engines and transmission are good after market stuff and new one are available for $3500.

You must be a really good friend to take on this project. Good Luck!!!

Later, Bud...
I appreciate the knowledge there, that helps. Especially in the larger parts. Im so unfamiliar that I know I aint ready to deal with the Craigslist crowd lol.

If you just want to move it, put it on a trailer and haul it to a shop that specializes in custom choppers and see what they'll offer for it. I wouldn't take less than $5k for a complete bike with the details you listed. Otherwise part it out as above and you can maybe get some $$ out of it that way, but it can be harder to move components.
Not a bad idea. Got a trailer that's always available. Who knows, maybe can move it without needing to get into more work.

I just saw my Ironhorse shirt last week. I didn't own one, but the shop was close and did great work. They also sold Victory's.
I couldn't believe what people were paying for a motor and a custom frame and paint.
The owner survived the Ironhorse crashing and has a very good shop near me.

I can't remember the last time I saw a chopper on the street. part it out?

Well, I have to agree with what Lowrider Bud said earlier. You're some kind of a friend to take this one on. Good luck with it; hope this goes well.

Ya will get pics soon, thought I had them on the phone but no. I'm right now 4 hrs away from the bike, you know, working to pay bills. So, give me a some time dudes, I KNOW, pics .. :giveup:

I've been given a dollar request for what they want for it.

Monica, to be totally up front with you.
What they want for it and what they get are two totally different things.
Non running bikes is not worth much, probably less than half what they want for it.
Your friend paid a lot of money for this bike and probably think it is still worth a lot of money. They should have never let the bike get to this point. This is going to cost them a lot more money than they think.

The only way to get close to what they want for it, keep this in mind.
You can get really good deals on bikes these days that are clean and ready to ride, check the classifieds.
Custom doesn't necessarily mean that it's worth a lot more money.
It needs to be super clean, polished and ready to ride to get any kind of decent money for it.
Getting it in that kind of shape is going to take a lot of hard work, time and money.

I know you want to help your friend out and that's great, but I would pass if I were you. Project bikes are a lot more work than you may think and if you have no experience with Harleys even more.

I recommend that they put it on a trailer, haul it to a independent bike shop that works on Harleys to get a price on getting it road ready. If they can't put it on a trailer they might be able to get the bike shop to come and look at it where it sits. They will find how big of a mistake it was to let this bike get into this condition.

I second the above. Hard truths of selling a custom bike can be hard on a relationship. When I helped my neighbor sell his. I got a nice knock from his adult children at my door wondering why I had not sold there dad's bike yet? I told them I was not charging the old man for any services and was only trying to help him out as he did not have any family who seemed able. I told them I will be deleting all ads I had placed and they can have a nice day. They promptly backed down and apologized. Regardless. I will Neve help someone through that process that does not understand the true value of what they are selling.

Find out when it ran last. Unless it's been like 5+ years or been stored outdoors, it probably just needs fluids changed, battery, carb clean and new gas.

Parts are probably less than $200 but there's a lot of labor in the above....

Even so, the bike is probably worth next to nothing not-running and several thousand more if running so even paying a shop a $1000 or so in labor is probably worth it.

Depending on how good of a friend, you could help them out with that number and do it for less....but I'm not sure I would do for free.

lots of solid advice, charge the battery if it well take , pull the plugs and squirt WD40 into the cylinders and hit the starter button. Advise them to get the carb cleaned and tank drained with a splash of fresh gas, put the plugs in and …...
the bike is not in your normal experience range and may end up being an albatross. Give them the advice you have read and walk away as a friend. No good deed goes unpunished.

Gentlemen, I definitely appreciate the frank and straight forward talk, thank you for that. I'm still considering what I'll do, how involved I will get and organizing in my head the conversation I should have with my friend about it.

You've all given me great points to think about and if you have more, keep them coming.

An acquaintance of mine bought an S&S-powered hardtail custom with a Baker 6-speed circa 2007 for $31,000. He sold it circa 2017, not running, for $3,500. I thought I'd offer that info just as a reference point. Customs from the "American Chopper" era are terribly out of fashion right now and very difficult to sell for a premium price, even if pristine. It might be better to hang onto it if possible and see if these bikes make a comeback somewhere down the road. Since they have little practical functionality as motorcycles, custom choppers come and go as fads. Right now they are unfavorable, but who knows what might happen in the future.

Back