• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How far do you ride to work?

A regular week for me is 18 miles total.
I am 3 miles from work, and work 3 days a week (unless I pick up an extra shift or have a meeting on one of my days off).
Bike unless it is raining going in or below freezing (4 bridges in that short route). I can do the trip with only 4 shifts (if I start out in 2nd and catch the lights).

My previous 2 jobs were 30 miles each way (5 days a week, but opposite flow of traffic) and 52 miles each way (2-3 days a week, left early enough to not have traffic going in).
I got a pay raise with the new job even though I was making the same amount due to driving 1100 miles less/month.
These were my pre-bike days.

I don't know if I could go back to driving a long distance to work again.

Never rode to work , I have to walk across my driveway to work , that’s where my bikes live too .

40 miles each way, 6 or 7 days a week. If it is raining when I open the front door at 4 or 5 am then I drive. If I am riding the mountain bike trails after work, I drive. Over 30,000 miles on the Harley last year. I stopped riding years ago because bikes just don't hold up to the mileage, then my touring bike got totaled riding to work just to run the gas out of it, so now I figure the bikes aren't going to last anyway. Might as well ride them into the ground.

11 miles each way when the weather cooperates. I generally follow the 40/40 rule, 40 degrees or higher and 40% or less chance of rain. A couple of mornings these last few weeks my wife says "you riding that d**n motorcycle, what's wrong with you!"

It was 5 miles by truck but 10 by bike. Always went home for lunch so mileage was 40/day. On real nice days, I'd just ride a 50 or so mile loop instead of lunch. Don't work anymore so now I just ride when the urge hits.

40 miles each way, 6 or 7 days a week. If it is raining when I open the front door at 4 or 5 am then I drive. If I am riding the mountain bike trails after work, I drive. Over 30,000 miles on the Harley last year. I stopped riding years ago because bikes just don't hold up to the mileage, then my touring bike got totaled riding to work just to run the gas out of it, so now I figure the bikes aren't going to last anyway. Might as well ride them into the ground.

Do you commute on that Triumph in your avatar?

2.9 miles.

I'll ride sometimes but my mechanical empathy doesn't like subjecting the bike to such short trips. If I do I'll take a long detour and leave early.

Do you commute on that Triumph in your avatar?

The Triumph is a nice bike, so only once every week or 2. I ride a 2008 Harley FXD with Progressive cartridge forks, taller 444 series shocks and an oversized front brake rotor. The Harley is the mule, the triumph mostly a play bike at the moment. Although the Harley is fun to back into the corners on the county roads in the afternoon.

I almost forgot, heated grips are the most important accessory on the FXD in the mornings this time of year. I haven't bothered to put them on the Triumph yet, I'll wait until it needs grips anyway.

Last edited:
11 miles each way when the weather cooperates. I generally follow the 40/40 rule, 40 degrees or higher and 40% or less chance of rain. "

Same here 11 miles to work.

Unfortunately for me it's all surface streets in the plano area so it's not very fun but still a lot better than being in a cage.

20 miles each way to work for me. I've been commuting on a bike for 11 years and I'm on my 3rd bike. I ride down to 26 degrees and I haven't found a day so hot that I didn't ride. I do pick a cage on days that stay below freezing for the whole day or if the chance for precipitation is higher than 40%.

My commute use to be 18 miles. Usually rode unless it was raining that morning or a high chance for the ride home. Don't mind the rain if I'm moving but it sucks in stop and go.

My commute is now just 2 miles. So I now ride my scooter everyday. 2mi isn't long enough for the motorcycle to even get up to temp.

2mi isn't long enough for the motorcycle to even get up to temp.

That is my problem as well. My truck starts to finally warm up right as I pull up to my parking spot and get out. Same thing going home. It's barely enough time for the heated seats and steering wheel to come up to temp :-P

37 miles each way to and from work for me. I enjoyed riding to work for my last job and it was 26 miles each way. That commute had variety. My new job, for the last year, has an extremely boring commute on Toll 130 east of Austin from Georgetown to South Austin. Miserable ride, so I mainly just drive now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So this is a funny one to dig up. Looks like Kim, and I have the same avatar from way back when. I wasn't yet a member here when this thread was started but my how things have changed for my commute.

When this thread started my commute was exactly 7 minutes from key in my door to sitting at my desk. Half of that was taking two elevators, one from the parking garage to the lobby and one from the lobby to my floor. That was a glorious commute.

Much like the OP, I then moved and went to a 45 minute commute and navigating the surface streets and stop lights was faster than the highways. That change liked to kill me.

Let's see, then I went to nearly all public transit to downtown Dallas with a job change, a move to Cleveland where I continued the public transit thing and then back to Dallas.

Currently, I work from home 3 days a week so the commute from bed to desk is pretty quick. However, those two days I go in I have to go 50 miles through aich ee double hockeysticks of Dallas commuting. The WFH makes up for it though.

Back