• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How far do you ride to work?

If I take Hwy 21 its 35 miles one way.
If I take 166 its 45 miles. But either way I have some nice curvey roads with not much traffic.
Now one of my customers drives from Lexington to Victoria four days a week. Thats 116 miles one way. He has traded in two bikes with over a hundred thousand miles on each one.

Ron

Work is merely 5 mile. Not worth it to ride since it almost takes me longer to gear up. Hah. Bike doesn't even get properly warmed up.

Commute to class is 20 miles, inside downtown Houston. Frightening but I refuse to park my cage downtown where it may receive a door ding.

i am just shy of 40 each way. up 35 to 20, 20 to 408 to loop 12. 12 to Davis. Most of the time its 55-99 mph. (well for me) and about 20-40 mins

got about 6 or 7 miles on the expressway from my side of town to downtown. I take the bike on mondays cuz its jury selection day and parking is nonexistent past about 745. I wear a jacket to keep my tie from flapping in the wind and choking me to death. But its so hot Im getting tempted to ditch the jacket on occasion.

Pete,

About 20 miles one way Flower Mound to Plano. 3040->I35->George Bush->North Dallas Tollway->Plano Parkway. It is not too bad. Going home is awful sometimes, but in the morning it is great.

Good luck! It's a tough choice.

Bo :-|

Pete, that sounds nuts on two wheels. But if lanesplitting were an option...

I can make it in under 15 minutes if I take the short way, but the fun way is at least 45 minutes and involves some sweet offroading if it's not muddy. No jacket, gloves or jeans (takes too long to put on, and it's too **** hot) but I always wear a helmet.

Got within two feet of armadillos twice last week, and this morning I got a knee down while running the post office errand. I was "backing it in" (as the kids say) but couldn't sustain it, and the rear went wide. (Really, I was carrying too much speed for the transition from wet lawn to aggregate sidewalk.) So I skinned my knee -- at least the bike only sustained a ground-up pedal! I might have avoided injury altogether if I had stepped out of the inside clip-on a bit faster.

--Chris
_________

03 Haro Escape 8.1

Thanks for all the responses folks. I've decided it's just not worth it. Life's way to short to sit in that kind of traffic or to modify my work hours just to accommodate a rough drive.

Pete

My commute isn't nearly what txcpl is talking about. After a couple of months of riding I decided to try commuting some. Now I commute about 30 percent of the time.

My commute is 15 miles one way in north Dallas traffic from Sachse to N. Dallas. I constantly have to be alert and ready for lane sharing, left turners, failure to yielders. Since I know my experience level is fairly low, (1 yr/12K mi) I give myself plenty of space and never follow too close. The air horn has actually been a big help. Several times people have almost overcorrected into curbs. :)

I used to live in Irving (for 15 years). I still ride (occasionally) over to see my son on Monday evenings after work at the end of rush hour.
Not something I'd like to do daily. Stay alert, stay awake and pick your times and routes wisely. Good luck.

Ride far, be safe and play in the groove.

Scott

Bellaire to Westchase - about 8 miles or so. But I get to ride the almost deserted Westpark tollway so it is very relaxing and quick - maybe 15 minutes?

I had a meeting downtown yesterday, elected to catch a ride rather than try to deal with downtown parking.

In short, if it's fun I would commute on my bike. When it's not fun - I don't. It's not about making a statement, it's doing what you feel comfortable with.

Dave.

My commute was 60 miles each way from Bonham to Plano. Now that they forced me to change offices its 75 miles each way with that extra 15 miles each way being in the bad traffic zone to Farmers Branch. I don't like it so I leave early around 5 A.M. The good news is I can still enjoy about half the distance without any real traffic pressure. The bad news is the additional time in traffic does mean additional risk. Even this morning before 6 A.M 635 was backed up and as I went past the accident I see a sportbike being loaded on a wrecker. It makes me think but with gas prices what they are I will continue to ride the bike most days.

Wonder how many people passing by a car wreck think, gee driving a car around here sure is dangerous, maybe I ought to start taking the bus? :roll:

its only about 6 miles to work from my house, but my motorcycle is my only transportation and it rains a lot :(

Work? I remember work.

But I did ride about 35 miles each way from Dallas to FtW. Used surface streets which allowed variety, and often on the way home had to run to Gainesville or Waco to get some gas.

Hello,
This is my first post here on these forums. Nice to find so many friendly riders in Texas. :D
My commute (every workday) is 17.5 miles each way up in rural southeast texas' piney woods on 2 lane windy Farm to market road and 3 miles on 2 lane 96 and then into and mostly through the city of Jasper. For those who enjoy pictures I've even documented it HERE. Kind of boring actually. LOL I also ride to training sessions, work call-outs and an occasional poker game.

Selias said:
Hello,
This is my first post here on these forums. Nice to find so many friendly riders in Texas. :D
My commute (every workday) is 17.5 miles each way up in rural southeast texas' piney woods on 2 lane windy Farm to market road and 3 miles on 2 lane 96 and then into and mostly through the city of Jasper. For those who enjoy pictures I've even documented it HERE. Kind of boring actually. LOL I also ride to training sessions, work call-outs and an occasional poker game.

Hey Stu!!!!

:tab Nice area to ride Stu! Have you ventured over to FM 777 South of US 190, or FM 1012 and 1414 South of Hwy 63? Then there is FM 692 heading off towards the Toledo Bend Dam. Really fun roads!! You live in a great area! Welcome to the site!

I commute on a daily basis as far as there's no rain in the morning when I'm leaving to work. I like commuting on the bike because of the availability of the I-10 Katy Frwy. HOV lane.

My commute is ~22 miles one way to the Galleria area. I'm in the N. Fry Rd and Clay Rd area. I use Clay Rd all the way to HWY-6 and Park Row to enter the HOV lane and exit at Post Oak and from there all the 610 service road (traffic is bad in this area) to Woodway => Sage => San Felipe.

Lately the traffic around the 610/Woodway Dr. is very bad in the afternoons, so I'm using the West Toll Parkway all the way to 1464 => Westheimer Pky => S. Fry rd => N. Fry Rd => Clay Rd.

If I want to ride in the streets I can use HWY-6 => Briar Forest => San Felipe, this's a very direct approach but traffic is very heavy, too many lights and some school zones (3)

I travel 1.2 miles to catch our van pool. If I miss the van pool, it is a 45 mile drive to Sherman on hwy 75. Good news is it oppsite rush hour traffic.

So how many of you commute and how far? I used to commute daily, but now my commute is one stop sign and three or four miles. It takes longer to put on my gear and get the bike out than it does to just drive to work.

Depending on which office I'm working out of, either 25 or 52 miles one way. The 25 miles is a laid back low volume road, and the 52 is I20, so I get a happy mix of things lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Just checked my January mileage business travel this month was 4771 miles sadly only 900 of those were on the FJR the balance divided between the Challenger (if you have to drive a car a Hemi & 6speed make it more fun) and the Truck the few times I had to haul equipment to customers for demos

I have a 'company' vehicle, so from my front door to my driveway.

Back