• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How Harley killed themselves

Exclusivity only has value if people are clamoring to buy your exclusive product and can't get it. I don't think there's a motorcycle marque in the world that can claim that. And frankly, it's hard to manufacture exclusivity; ask the Franklin Mint people. Exclusive products tend to choose themselves through weird market forces, and that exclusivity may last a year or a decade. Remember that when Chrysler first released the PT Cruiser, it was bizarrely exclusive. You couldn't get them; dealers would raffle off opportunities to buy one for a grand or two over sticker. A few years later, you couldn't give them away as door prizes.

I'm with you, Dave. I'll probably ride my '12 Strom until the day my wife pulls my 2-wheel ticket. After which, look for me in some little Beemer or Audi turbo 4-banger or, if I can swing it, a well used Porsche of some sort.

Hate to see it, but I don't see a new bike in whatever's left of my life. Perfectly happy with the 2000, I can work on it, and they really haven't changed anyway.
And the '82 for a reality reminder of old school riding.

Hear ya Dave. Got rid of everything but my 05 GS which was the last new bike I bought. Even with the few mechanical meltdowns it experienced, I sure enjoyed it. Liked the bike so much that I found a low miles 06 in great shape that should last me the rest of my riding career. Riding for me had slowed tremendously and just don't see the aggravation of a new bike in my future. I'll just stick with what I enjoy riding and know the ins and outs of. :rider:

I'm certainly not a Harley guy, but I get what you're saying on the parts for sure. There are only two times that I've found Japanese parts I've needed in stock locally. Even then it was after many phone calls. On the other hand, I've bought parts for Japanese bikes from Harley dealers at a much cheaper price than the Japanese brand would sell the same thing for. Just don't tell the guy at the parts counter what it's going on. I made that mistake once and was told "we don't sell no parts for Japanese bikes" and then he wouldn't work with me.

If Harley started a sub brand with bikes and a dealer network that I liked, I would consider it after it had been around for three or four years. I would like to buy American. That's a lot of hoops to jump through though.

Yeah, back when I rode a Buell, parts seemed dirt cheap compared to Honda parts.

I can not remember the last time I went into an HD dealer or what it was for. I've never bought a new bike. Ever.
As long as J&P Cycle is around, I'm in fine shape with the big bagger and old Sporty.
I see no reason to pay dealer prices for parts and accessories, and especially for service.

The "exclusivity" tactic is interesting. I would not have thought of that. If the goal is to sell more motorcycles, it would seem prudent to a) attract more buyers and b) have motorcycles to sell to those buyers. Exclusivity is an interesting idea to achieve those two objectives.

I don't think Harley is going to die. Lots of dealers probably will. I know a few shop techs on the younger side who have lost their jobs already.

I don't think Harley is going to die. Lots of dealers probably will. I know a few shop techs on the younger side who have lost their jobs already.
Agreed. I see them becoming smaller, more the size of Indian. Lots of dealerships will close, but I think they will still exist in some form for quite a while longer.

I have seen all the videos and comments on HD dying and in trouble. The thing that boggles my mind is how? Sure their “sales numbers” maybe lower but the number of Harley’s I see on the road compared to other bikes is probably 10-1.
Maybe it’s just in my area? I find it hard to believe. Maybe this is Harley’s way of “bad publicity is better than no publicity”

Im not for or against Harley in any way. I have considered buying one a few times but have never pulled the trigger on one.

Sure their “sales numbers” maybe lower but the number of Harley’s I see on the road compared to other bikes is probably 10-1.
Definitely in my neck of the woods, but I was shocked at how few Harleys I saw in Denver when I visited.

"Consumers in the United States bought some 472,000 motorycles in 2017, down from about one million in 2007. Most motorcycle fans reside in California, where over 842,000 motorcycles are registered. Other popular states for motorcycles include Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York."

Biggest problem might be sales down from 1 million in 2007 to 472,000 in 2017. That affects all of them.

I had 3 Harleys in the AMF days. Not worth a much. Last Harley I rode with a license plate was a 2007 or so Ultra Classic Electra Glide. About all in common with the AMF bikes was vibration at idle, limited ground clearance when cornering, and the sound of the exhaust. Other than that, very different bikes.

Right now I'm working on an XR750 adventure bike that should be just under 300 pounds dry.

I had 3 Harleys in the AMF days. Not worth a much. Last Harley I rode with a license plate was a 2007 or so Ultra Classic Electra Glide. About all in common with the AMF bikes was vibration at idle, limited ground clearance when cornering, and the sound of the exhaust. Other than that, very different bikes.

Right now I'm working on an XR750 adventure bike that should be just under 300 pounds dry.

Pics of the project please .
I'll post to get ya going .

I rode Harleys for 14 years starting with a new 79 Sportster XLS, new 1982 FXRS (first yr. rubber mounted, 5 speed), used 81 FLT (shovelhead), new 85 FLT (Evolution) later converted to FLHS. The 81 FLT had 4k miles on it when I bought it. It handled like crap at low speeds. Rode it to Ruidoso for the annual bike rally when they had factory reps on site. I had a rep look at mine to figure out the handling issue. He did and told me the motor mounts were worn out. I ask,"In 4k miles" He just smiled and shrugged his shoulders. I changed mounts and it was fine. But from there on out it was like that at the dealers when I had issues or problems with the dressers. "That's just the way they are!" To make a long story short, in 1993 I traded my 85 in on a BMW and have been on one ever since. Still have my last new one, 1998 R1100RT. No problems, just regular maintenance. I wouldn't take any new HD over my RT to this day. By the same token, BMW doesn't offer anything new I would want today. Just getting old I guess!

HD lost on the one thing that the Japanese manufacturers figured out long time ago. Value. I paid 6500 bucks for a Shadow 750 and rode it for almost 40,000 miles with nothing more than gas, oil, and fuel filters. A couple valve checks at the dealer where the only services that actually required me to go to the dealer. I had the dealer servicing the bike the first 2 years as I lived in an apartment with no garage, and the experience was great at the 2 dealers I used. The one dealer even agreed to knock out my oil change in 30 minutes if I could get there 45 minutes before closing.

My Friends with HD's have paid 2x minimum what I did. All have had various nagging unfixable issues. One friends bike almost caught on fire because the dealer didn't tighten the battery cable down, and it was millimeters from touching the frame.

I’m like woods guy, have owned over 250 bikes, and the only HD I ever owned, I gave away.

I want this, with a 4" taller seat, mid-controls, and dual discs on the front. View attachment 264116

After many years of disdain for these poor excuses of a motorcycle and a lot of badmouthing them, I casually looked at one because the gf had a difficult time getting on/off my Vstrom 1000. One test ride later and I sent that Vstrom (my 2nd) packing and took that burnt orange Sport Glide home. Fit and finish is bar none. They’re no longer your grandads Harley. I had ridden several dynas and sporty’s in years past. They’re much improved now. Shake at idle? Nope. Incredibly hot in traffic on a summer day? Nope. Turning radius of a suburban? Almost. Have to blip throttle at stoplights to keep it from flaming out? Nope. Have to blip throttle at stoplights because the man riding it is a little boy at heart? Yep. Sucky, weak motor? Not hardly. In all honesty, it’s the easiest riding motorcycle I’ve ever ridden. Very well balanced, no issues making no feet down stops. It will roast the rear tire in first 3 gears. It’s unbelievably stable. It’s absolutely on rails at 80, literally a freight train and much smoother than you’d believe. It did take a good week of riding to become accustomed to forward controls.

Badmouth them all you want, but you’ll need to find a new victim for your elitism elsewhere because in the end they’re not how you think they are. Not anymore anyway. It was an epiphany moment for me.

Back