• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How Long Does it Take to Ride 3 Sisters?

Tesla

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Google shows the 3 Sisters loop to take 3 hours and 25 minutes. Does it really take that long?

Looking for rides or destinations April

Hi my name is Mike and I have decided to make my way to Texas for the first 11 days of April, As I live in Canada I have no idea what attractions, sights or rides there may be in Texas, So if anyone has any input at all I would love to hear it.. I have two bikes a BMW K75 street bike and a Honda XR650L dual purpose I am not %100 sure which bike I will be bringing, as I may have a riding buddy, but if he jams out then either bike can go but not both... As I have to treailer them to the end of the snow belt in April.. Thank you in advance for your comments Mike...

I rode it solo and sporty. Passed a lot of groups on the road. I am not sure how long it took, but I was tired and achey at the end. Devote some time to it, especially if you like to stop, take in the view and take pics of some of Texas most beautiful acreage.

Have, fun!!

Google shows the 3 Sisters loop to take 3 hours and 25 minutes. Does it really take that long?

It really depends on the day and your riding style and how concerned you are with getting tickets:eek2:. If it's a really nice day following a rainy or gloomy period it will take you at least that long because everyone in the area will be out and likely large groups abound. If you are just riding and can get around the slower traffic then you can do better than that. There are parts that can be quite technical so if you haven't been down there before might just want to plan on a few hours so you can ride at a nice pace and stop when you want and not be worried about being somewhere else. Just what ever you do, don't get caught napping on the boring parts because the fun stuff sneaks up on you at times.

Good Luck!

Michael

If you are really moving then you can do it in about 2 hours. If you go the speed limit it will probably take you about 3. Would probably depend on if there are a lot of other groups out also. No matter what speed you go, definitely watch for gravel, especially on 335.

Re: Looking for rides or destinations April

Hi my name is Mike and I have decided to make my way to Texas for the first 11 days of April, As I live in Canada I have no idea what attractions, sights or rides there may be in Texas, So if anyone has any input at all I would love to hear it.. I have two bikes a BMW K75 street bike and a Honda XR650L dual purpose I am not %100 sure which bike I will be bringing, as I may have a riding buddy, but if he jams out then either bike can go but not both... As I have to treailer them to the end of the snow belt in April.. Thank you in advance for your comments Mike...

Welcome Mike :wave: Texas is a big place with lots of road miles in between the good stuff. I'd ride the beemer. If you're going to trailer all the way you could bring the XRL and spend a week exploring the Big Bend area alone. On a road bike a nice loop would be to start with Guadelupe Nat'l Park. Head south through the Davis Mountains on 118, stop by McDonald Observatory near Ft. Davis, then south toward Presidio. 170 East into Big Bend. East on 90 to Bracketville. Head north to Camp Wood and catch the three sisters; 335, 336, 337. Head south east toward Corpus Christi and Mustang Island. Work your way up the coast past Houston. Stay off the Interstate Hwy. The minor roads are generally well maintained and much better scenery. Maybe someone from east Texas can add some good roads for you to head north on.

The Google time estimate is probably quite close. Have a full tank of fuel, be sure you are hydrated and your sunglasses are clean. Leave all your worries and unrelated concerns at work or home. When riding the Twisted Sisters roadways, set your stop watch, maintain your focus, be vigilant at all times and avoid glancing at the wonderful vista views along the way. If you make a pit stop, do not make eye contact with other riders (this can lead to time consuming conversations discussing stuff like what a great day for riding and extended life's stories of riding experiences and time to check out their two wheeled machines). Oh yeah, leave your camera at home and do not stop to enjoy the Lone Star Motorcycle Musem to look at the fantastic collection of motorcycles while enjoying a mighty good hamburger or Australian meat pie, or stopping to see the herds of exotic animals. Save your funds by not going to the Stonehenge replica near Hunt cause you might be compelled to drop some bucks in the donation box.
If weekend riding, be prepared to deal with slower moving vehicles especially when executing a perfect line through one of the twisty curves where your vision through the exit is blocked.
Have a most good safe ride and post it for us to enjoy too:rider:
Neal p.s. forgot to mention.......my last trip took two days

I left Junction a 8am as I wanted to let the deer wake, eat and lay back down.

Did the route as shown by the Streets screenshot.

3hrs by Streets set a faster drive speed option

3hrs actual riding time point 1 to point 7

Attachments

• 3sis.jpg
    3sis.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,151
I usually stay in Bandera when I go to the Hill Country. Below is the route I normally take and with the short side trip to StoneHenge it is just over 250 miles. This route takes 16 to Kerrville, 27 over to 39 (which is such a shaded pleasant ride it is difficult to muster any enthusiasm for spirited riding), then around the 3's and back to Bandera. I find 336 to be the least pleasant because of all the cattle guards.

I can tell you that between Stonehenge, the Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool, lunch, photo ops, and other distractions I do not think I have ever taken less than 8 hours for this loop and usually longer than that.

-

Bandera.jpg

-

That's about right, provided you are riding responsibly and not stopping at the various attractions. You do not want to hot-dog it on this ride. The curves are tight with blind radii. There is also gravel on the roads. I did this ride just a few weeks ago. I rode on a Wednesday when there was about zero traffic. You can click on the ride report in my sigtag for further details.

Mike

Re: Looking for rides or destinations April

Hi my name is Mike and I have decided to make my way to Texas for the first 11 days of April,
Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum. I'd suggesting posting up an intro and your question separate in case it gets lost in the discussion in this thread.

It could take me days.... I never want to leave when I get there...

4 of us rode it for the first time last weekend. It really exceeded my high expectations of it. 335 was our favorite sister. Cresting that tall hill and going down into what looks like the Nueces river has flooded the roads below was just amazing!

4 of us rode it for the first time last weekend. It really exceeded my high expectations of it. 335 was our favorite sister. Cresting that tall hill and going down into what looks like the Nueces river has flooded the roads below was just amazing!

Great place. For some reason I liked 336 better despite the cattle guards. It could be because I rode it last and was really in the groove at that point and it just all came together for me. 335 was a close second and is an outstanding road. 337 is good but a little intimidating with all of the crosses and super technical stuff. i could see that section being my favorite on a Supermoto.

I hope to get down there in the next month or so with a couple of weapons on a trailer.

Did you ride hwy 16 between Kerrville and Fredricksberg? Also a great section of road... Hwy 39 from the 3 sisters area to Ingram also an outstanding stretch... I could go on and on and on... Can't wait to get back

That's about right, provided you are riding responsibly and not stopping at the various attractions. You do not want to hot-dog it on this ride. The curves are tight with blind radii. There is also gravel on the roads. I did this ride just a few weeks ago. I rode on a Wednesday when there was about zero traffic. You can click on the ride report in my sigtag for further details.

Mike

+1 to all the above.

Friend of mine came around a corner and t-boned a large rock in the center of the road with his Beemer GS and spent the rest of the day at the motorcycle museum trying to fixe the bike.

And remember - there are LOTS of deer on the Sisters routes.

Did you ride hwy 16 between Kerrville and Fredricksberg?

Nope, but wished I had. We could have done so much more riding if we hadn't spent so much time trailering our bikes from hotel to hotel. Wife and I did go to Enchanted Rock from Fredericksburg. Don't remember the road to get there but what a bonus that was! Actually did it twice since it appeared the park was overfilled and the traffic was stop and go on Saturday so we went back on Sunday which was much better.

We did see at least 10 deer, all of them were puny. Fortunately none were running across our path. Seeing kangaroos off of 335 was just surreal. I did see what I thought to be a little bobcat on 337. I was pointing, yelling and trying to get everyones attention to see this wild and dangerous..........common house cat. We all had a good laugh over my enthusiasm over a cute little kitty cat.

Still trying to figure out why my wife practically had no fear on the sisters but usually is tense on much lesser and safer roads. Must have been the scenery.....we both loved it, however, I was too focused on the road ahead rather than munching on the scenery. You really do need to be on your game. Never was it more apparent on the sisters that proper cornering technique is a must. I don't think an inexperienced rider would enjoy the sisters or even the experienced rider for that matter that hasn't learned the art of proper cornering. I haven't mastered it yet but I'm getting there. Hopefully, I'll learn a thing or 2 in the Lee Parks class that I'll be attending this weekend.

This one?
145911170_nd6JM-L.jpg

Nobody mentioned the Garven store at the intersection of 41 and 83? Some of the best deer? sausage around, had turkey jerky last week there which was surprisingly good.

3 hours seems kind of short, unless you cut out a bunch of 337. You should ride it on a weekday, weekends bring out a lot of LEO and cruisers.

I'm not fond of 16 between fredericksburg and kerrville either, too much traffic and well patrolled as most of 16 is. Come to think of it, those cities aren't that great either. Too many ill-timed lights in kerrville, too much traffic in fburg although the food is better there. Best to take 2093 west out of fburg and work your way SW on the back roads. I think white oak lane and klein ranch road will get you to where 41 and I 10 meet.

As far as the OP's choice of bikes, there are many more miles of asphalt than dirt, but there are some interesting offroading possibilities.

I spent last sunday running 39, 1340, and 27. Thought about the 3 sisters but good thing I didn't because front tire valve stem gave out in fburg. Riding close to 100 miles on a flat front tire sucks.

This one?
145911170_nd6JM-L.jpg

Thats it!! Great shot. Did you take that?

Wife and I rode the V-Strom 650, friends rode a Honda VTX1300. No offroading opportunities for this weekend, however, I don't have ANY offroading experience. Looking for instruction.....need to experience the nirvana that you dual sport guys speak of.

If i leave early saturday,around 0500 hr., i can ride the three sisters, have lunch,and be back in houston around 1900 hr. However, those long days are just about over as age and joint pain in the knee tell me to stop at 500 miles. Round trip is about 600 miles.

Thats it!! Great shot. Did you take that?

Wife and I rode the V-Strom 650, friends rode a Honda VTX1300. No offroading opportunities for this weekend, however, I don't have ANY offroading experience. Looking for instruction.....need to experience the nirvana that you dual sport guys speak of.

Thanks, yep I took that and a bunch similar over the years from the cockpit. there aren't too many public dirt roads, but there is one that connects 335 shown above and 336 that's pretty cool. You know if a K1100LT can do it .......

18337030_Sx5zY-L.jpg

one more, from 336

145910036_BmAb4-L.jpg

Took us about 3.5 hours of ride time today! Motorcycle museum was closed when we got there late in the day, though :-( It's a pretty good workout on a big rig, but she did great!

Awesome day with perfect weather and we had the whole place to ourselves!

2636_62579266731_692551731_1679932_1482732_n.jpg

Back