• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How many is "Too Many"

"Too many" is a scientificaly invalid concept.

The number is different for each of us. IMHO.

The right number of bikes is the amount you can own and feel blessed, and too many is the amount that brings you stress because you do not enjoy keeping that many bikes road worthy, insured, and ridden enough to justify owning it. .02

I have been up to 5 and am at 4 now. I would rather have 3, but a different group of bikes than I own currently. If this makes perfect sense to you, then you may need to talk to Kurt about possible MBS and it's side effects.

LOL, it's kinda sad that a lot of guys determine how many is too many by their wife's standards. Think they ever worry about what you think is too many pairs of shoes???? :rofl:

Why would you need more than one of anything? (said the guy with 11 guitars)

LOL, it's kinda sad that a lot of guys determine how many is too many by their wife's standards. Think they ever worry about what you think is too many pairs of shoes???? :rofl:

That's true, but I'm positive I have spent more on my bike with all the accessories and maintenence than my wife has spent on shoes in her lifetime! I can't really argue with that. I've probably got more tied up in gear than my wife does in shoes!

Why would you need more than one of anything? (said the guy with 11 guitars)

Different folks use different bikes for different purposes. There's an old codger a couple towns over who brings a Harley custom to shows, rides a late Nighthawk 750 to Germantown to see his grandchildren, and an ancient Honda Trail 90 to work every day.

I've found out that it's not the number of bikes you have, it's if you can ride them all and enjoy them. I used to have three bikes for dual sport riding, but since I purchased a BMW 1200GS Adventure and can ride it off road somewhat I can make it with two, the other being a DRZ 400S. I have had a KLR 650 for a third bike, but it always came down to which bike to ride, each has its own advantages. Two works for me today, but tomorrow who knows.

John

You ARE definately asking the wrong crowd! Please see sig. line below!:eek2: I would still like to pick up a few more...

Wow, what a question for a certified
motorcycle junkie... I have owned 75
or so but never more than "3" at a time.
Dirt bike, Vintage Bike, Super Sport Street
Bike. My last threesome was a CRF250X,
CBX (1000cc) and a DRZ400SM but required
a three car garage. In my 2 car garage, I
currently have 2 Buells. So the answer is
connected to your garage size. As for the
wife, her question is always the same. "How
many of those can you ride at one time?"

I have three street bikes and that maybe one too many. I ride on weekends when I can as a hobby and don't use them to commute to work. Of the three seems like one rarely gets ridden, but when I take the covers off to clean them up, I couldn't part with any.

Our current fleet... I would like to do some updating though :trust:

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

The TTR50E is about to go to a new home once I get it running. It is waiting on a new battery.

I would REALLY like to replace the KTM 530 EXC with a newer 500 EXC, but... $$ :shrug:

I think the TTR110E and the CRF110 are here to stay a while, as is the XR80R.

I often have several of the smaller bikes stored in an enclosed trailer just because it gets too crowded in the garage otherwise...

I have mixed feelings about the 1200 GS. I think I need something else until I go ride it. It is just such a great solid bike for 90% of the riding I like to do, which includes dualsport/adventure. The KTM covers that other 10%. Sure, a newer GS might be nice, but I am not real sure what that gets me beyond what I already have, except newer :shrug: This one still has screw/tappet valves so valve inspections/adjustments are a breeze.

Yeah... if I could just figure out a way to work a 500 EXC into the garage, I think I'd be happy for a pretty long time.

If I had more TIME, a KTM 300 two stroke for woods riding would be nice. I got to do a short bit of riding on one and it was SWEET!! I just rarely have time to do that kind of riding.

Back