• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How to include images in your posts

Let's back up just a bit....

Having pictures on your computer is one thing. You can attach them from your own computer much like the three shots a few posts back. But they are attachments to viewers and have to be clicked to see a somewhat larger version. If you're not logged in, you don't even see the pictures, just 'attachments' as a link you then have to sign in to click and view.

Having them hosted at a host site such as shutterfly, smugmug, flickr or photobucket is another option most everyone uses. That allows the pictures to be pushed up from your computer to THEIR site, then you grab the internet address of the picture and post that in THIS site. The viewer won't have to click any little pictures and larger versions display automatically regardless if the user is logged in or not.

Any of them are fine, and you said your pictures already on shutterfly, right?

Ok. That helps. Not all are on shutterfly. But the URL address thing is a bit confusing. Does the address always pop automtically up or do you have to add it? And I see your point about making the pic a bit larger, mine were too small.

OK, do this just to get the hang of it....

Open two windows, one here to get some direction, and a second to open your Shutterfly account....

Let me know when shutterfly is open.

OK, go find a picture you want to test with. Make sure it doesn't violate our code of conduct, ie: make it a benign picture.

When you find that picture, SOMEWHERE around it would be something that says HTML, LINK, URL, BBCODE or something like that.... you might have to click on the picture itself and get it to display by itself instead of in an album, I'm just not sure how shutterfly looks inside......

Let me know if you see ANYTHING like that or ANYTHING that looks like: [IMG ] shutterfly.com/blahblah[/IMG ]

OK, sort of bad news......

I googled hard linking shutterfly pictures and it appears they won't allow that from their site. So...... I'd recommend going over to Flickr.com or Photobucket.com for free accounts. I think if you have a Yahoo! email address, your userid/password works on Flickr as well.

Personally, I have a pay-for-site at smugmug.com and a freebie at Photobucket. Many friends use Flickr and it seems popular.

A long time ago I had a Kodak gallery that wouldn't allow direct linking and that's what forced me to change where I stored my pics for display on forums.

Starting about post #92 and using Photobucket, here's a good discussion I had to get another user up and posting...
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25568&page=5

Sorry I can't help much more than that at the moment...

You have been a HUGE help! I guess shutterfly isnt such a good one for this. I will try Flickr. Now, what entails getting photos over to Flickr from shutterfly?
Can it be done?

BTW, could the capitol of wierdness be the most awesome Austin? Also,my dreambike is a BMW R1200RT, now that they have a lowered suspension and seat height it may be doable some day soon for my 5'2" frame!

There would be no way to transfer pics from your existing shutterfly account to another easily. You mentioned you have a new computer, but am I to assume you don't have your data/pictures loaded on that new machine?

My understanding is, that you'll have to have the images on your computer or at minimum a CD/media stick to upload them from to the new host (flickr in your case).

So..... ASSUMING you have all your images on a computer you can connect to the internet with or a disc/stick for a computer that can connect, it should be fairly easy. Just open the new flickr account, create an album (I think you get three albums for their "FREE" enrollment) then start uploading via their uploader the images.

In some respects, that's why I like Photobucket. You get to have as many albums as you want and you're only limited by space used, something like a couple GB of data I recall.

All it takes is an email address for either.

One thing to consider is how long you think you'll be tied to that photo host or your images. Once you start with one, you're sort of tied to them to at least log-in every so often to keep the account active.

Or.... you pick something like Flickr Pro or Smugmug which are Pay-For sites and pay an annual fee for them to host your images.

But for now, we've got to get the account somewhere for you in order to start creating albums to upload pictures to....

Follow so far?

Got it. I think I will go with Photobucket then. What is the annual fee for smugmug? So what I need to do is get a stick, copy photos from shutterfly, and then open the account and download them to Photobucket?

Not really....... That would be horribly long to grab them back from shutterfly now. And when you uploaded them, they probably went through some sort of compression routine degrading the quality and/or size. But IF you were to try that, you would most probably open the largest version of each picture at shutterfly and one by one, do a "right-click-save-as" and save the image to your computer at home. Not sure how that works on a Apple though...... Each picture would have to be done like that.

Don't you keep a copy of every image/picture you take on your local home computer in a folder somewhere? Or do you upload the picture then delete it from your computer? Or did your previous computer go belly-up and you don't have access to all your images/data anymore?

That sort of drives how to proceed.....

I transfer my pics from my camera card to my new Apple onto iphoto. I still have an old Dell PC that I started the Shutterfly on 4-5 years ago. I have CD's with a lot of the pics but not all. Can I download some of these pics from CD's onto Photobucket and the images be fine?

just a small plug for Picasa Web Album/Picasa. Google has done a good job of linking Picasa (their version of editor and photo filer) for your home PC and Picasa Web Albums--the online album that integrates pretty easily with what you have with Picasa. They give you a free 1G space and you can get 20G for $5/yr.

I use Picasa Web Album for family photos. Here's mine as an example
http://picasaweb.google.com/gleavelle

Picasa on your PC will scan your PC for all your photos and organize them into a scrolling album based on when they were shot. It has some decent photo editing tools, too. All free.

I transfer my pics from my camera card to my new Apple onto iphoto. I still have an old Dell PC that I started the Shutterfly on 4-5 years ago. I have CD's with a lot of the pics but not all. Can I download some of these pics from CD's onto Photobucket and the images be fine?

Doh! :doh: Is IPhoto an on-line host of your pictures? ie: you've uploaded them on their servers?

Yes, if you have a hosting account, it's going to ask for the location of the pictures on your computer to pull them from. Typically, you'd say some folder on your hard drive such as c:/data/pictures or wherever they might be/have been. If the images are on disc, you just point the downloader to the disc drive when the disc is in it.

I will have to check that out this evening. I don't know if iphoto is an online server.?? Like I said I am just not computer saavy, but trying to learn here!! Thanks to your help M38A1!! and Trackers input-thanks guys! I am going to figure this out! I will check back soon and hopefully with some decent size pics to show.:wave:

iPhoto is a mac based photo editor/organizer. It will link in with .mac online services, including an online photo album, if you have a .mac subscription.
I think iPhoto also has a Picassa web album connector of some sort.

to display an Picasa web album pic, I just right click it, choose "copy photo url", then past it in the "insert image" tool on the reply window (in between

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds. I just realized this was in "Board Administration" :shrug:

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds. I just realized this was in "Board Administration" :shrug:

Nope, you're good as I'm getting out of my level of expertise talking Apple's. I've been pretty successful at getting new members to get their pics displayed from remote hosts thus far, but this one is tougher.

Back