• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from Friendswood

Reaction score
Hello fellow Texans, Art here, born and raised in Clute (home of The Great Texas Mosquito Festival 🥴), and currently retired, residing in Friendswood TX.

I’ve been riding off and on since the 60s. As a kid I learned to ride my older brother’s Honda Cub 50, followed by a cousin’s Honda SL100. The Cub met its demise when I ran it into the mouth of the Brazos River (long story, and worth the read, but I’ll save it for another time). And the SL100; well, we simply wore it out.

The following are bikes that I’ve owned in chronological order:

1) 1979 Yamaha YZ125 - I was 19 at the time, working for Carl Pierce Yamaha Honda in Lake Jackson. I motocrossed for a couple of years, and the store gave me discounted parts. They must have felt sorry for me, because honestly, I had no talent.
5D8CF76A-BD9D-4EDE-9BB3-2098A0EBCDF9.jpeg

2) 1977 Yamaha RD400: Tricked out with clip-ons, heads, tuned pipes, etc., this was my school transportation. This bike met its demise when the gentleman I sold it to wrapped it around a tree. The gent survived, but not after a short stay in the hospital.

3) 1984 Yamaha RZ350: This was the Kenny Roberts Edition. Oh God I loved that bike, and wish I still had it. Unfortunately, I got in too much trouble on it; it had to go. From what I understand, the gent I sold it to set a Bonneville record on it in a Box Stock class.

4) 1986ish Yamaha Riva 50: Yep, I replaced the RZ with a 50cc scooter. This was my commuter, and quite honestly, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

5) 1995 Honda CBR600F3: After a bit of a hiatus, and the best handling bike I’ve owned.

6) 2001 Buell X1 Lightening: Torque monster. Stoppies. Wheelies. Fun bike. I sold a house in 2003. The first guy to view the house noticed the Buell in the garage, and offered to pay my asking price if I threw the Buell in for free. SOLD !!

7) 1964 Vespa 150: One day I was rummaging around in my Mom’s shed, looking for a tool, when...holy crap...I spotted a baby blue Vespa in the back, behind a mound of my stepdad’s stuff! It had been there for ten years and I never knew it. Apparently, a friend gave it to her. I licensed it and rode it occasionally for a few years. It was a 3 to 1 ride/repair kind of thing.

8) 2014 Suzuki 200 Burgman: I bought this in 2019 with only 76 miles on the ODO. I intended on using it for the 2020 Scooter Cannonball Run but COVID nixed that; sold it and decided it was time, finally, to get another proper MC.
6166FF71-D384-486A-839D-871BDAC26014.jpeg

9) 2004 BMW R1150R: I’ve always wanted to experience the boxer engine. I found this bike in Angleton, and I have to say, I’m a convert. I really like the character and feel of this engine. I visited the Three (Twisted) Sisters on her, and completed a Saddlesore 1000. Alas, this bike is fun, but not meant for long distance. **** that hurt.
BD18D66A-D855-4B55-979C-E08654A7A6F2.jpeg

10) 2013 Yamaha FJR1300A: My current bike. I was actually looking for an RT wethead, or possibly the GS for some multi-state rides when this FJR appeared on Craigslist. It was a deal I couldn’t pass up. Only 4000 miles on the ODO.
073FABC1-7D11-471D-90F0-48B4877D8859.jpeg

In closing, sorry to bore you guys with the above list, but for me, it was a good trip down memory lane. Thanks to the moderators for allowing me to join this forum, and I hope to join an event or two soon.

Regards, Art

Wow, you've been through some great bikes! Welcome to the forum, Art. Come out and join us sometime on a Wednesday night. Just check back here:

We'll be somewhere in the area, lol.

Welcome! We used to live down in Friendswood. We liked going to Santa Barbara Cafe and the snow cone place across the street.

I am in Friendswood too (Polly Ranch). PM me if you want to go for a ride sometime
Randy

Back