• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from San Antonio

Reaction score
Hi everybody! My name is Matt, I'm 25 and I started riding two wheels just about 5 years ago.

Probably lame, boring story incoming, skip to pictures if you want.

My parents were always completely opposed to anything with two wheels and a motor. But once my mild narcolepsy (undiagnosed at the time) started to get the best of my insurance rates I needed something more cost effective for my 2 mile commute to class and work. I always found driving a car to be too comfortable and not mentally stimulating enough to keep my forever tired brain awake, so I figured something with two wheels should be able to help that.

I first ended up with a honda ruckus as that was the only thing my parents would lend me money to buy only after taking a motorcycle safety course. And of course I chose to ride the Ninja 250 at the motorcycle school because why not live a little!? The instructor kept telling me that he was surprised I had never ridden a motorcycle before. It was then that knew that two wheels would be my new addiction.

I rode and modified the ruckus for a year, getting the top speed from a factory 37 to a whopping 59.99999! Not bad for a 50cc. Everytime I rode I felt fully engaged, I was hyper aware of my surroundings, super attentive and I never felt tired. I rode that **** scooter every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. I loved it.

My 1 year of riding came around and I figured I would get something that was being marketed as an easy beginners bike. Had low speed anti-stall assist, low seat height, Ducati looks and a 650cc v-twin. The 2017 SV650, not really what most people would consider a beginners bike, but while the ruckus didn't have near the power, I did learn lots about the physics of motorcycles and safe riding techniques. I bought the bike brand new and the break-in period was a real test of self control.

I rode that bike for 3 years and put about 17,000mi on it. I truly did love that bike. But then March of this year, I got rear ended by a lady in a Mercedes who was texting and driving. Thankfully I was unharmed but my SV suffered a bent subframe. Usually that's not a big deal but the SV subframe is welded to the frame. Since its all one part, bent frame = totaled. The bike was paid off but I actually made out quite good! I paid 6800 for the bike over 3 years and got 7200 after settling with the drivers insurance. Thanks Farmers! It was honestly perfect timing, I had been looking to get a more off road oriented bike like a dual sport or an adv, and my boss just so happened to be selling his DRZ-400SM at the same time everything went down.

So now I think I've finally found that dual sport/adv is my riding niche. Over this year I've been slowly outfitting the bike to be a light adv rig. So far I have fitted a seatconcepts seat because, a Lynx Fairing, Trail Tech Striker, Garmin GPS, top and side luggage racks, and a clarke tank. Soon I will be getting an extra wheelset (21/18) for adventuring, some good hand guards and a few other things I've had my eye on but can't remember.

I hope to soon be able to meet and ride with you guys and gals!

Attachments

• 20200619_055517.jpg
    20200619_055517.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 20200619_171951.jpg
    20200619_171951.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 147
Nice bike [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]. My son works in San Antonio , we go there a lot

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Howdy and welcome.

I'm up the road a few miles in New Braunfels and always looking to ride.

I'm still trying to find active ride groups around the SA area in case you happen to know of any:

I never rode the ruckus but I always thought they looked fun for a 50 cc. Nice ride you have there now!

Another welcome from San Antonio. :wave:

I never rode the ruckus but I always thought they looked fun for a 50 cc. Nice ride you have there now!

Another welcome from San Antonio. :wave:
The ruckus is big fun in a small package! Have a lot of memories taking it out to the abandoned malibu go-kart track by I10 and loop 410. Sadly it's now been fenced off. I still have the ruckus and have a 195cc to swap into it once time allows.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Howdy and welcome.

I'm up the road a few miles in New Braunfels and always looking to ride.
What kind of riding do you mostly do? I have always done street riding but am starting to get into off-road/adv. My bike isn't quite ready as I'm am still on 17's front and rear. I'm ordering a set of 21/18's today since Warp9 has a pretty sweet black friday coupon for 20% off.

What kind of riding do you mostly do? I have always done street riding but am starting to get into off-road/adv. My bike isn't quite ready as I'm am still on 17's front and rear. I'm ordering a set of 21/18's today since Warp9 has a pretty sweet black friday coupon for 20% off.
Pretty much all of the above.

Or rather, whatever I can find.

Back