• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Husky FE 501 S - Mods / Suggestions

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Ok, so I just became the new owner of a 2015 Husky FE 501 S. It has several of the basics already done like; de-smogged, Euro programming, FMF exhaust (which I ordered the quieter spark arrestor for) and a few other bling type things.

My questions are related to anybody that owns one or even the KTM 500 EXC, what are any must haves.

First is larger tank, it appears the Husky has fewer options for a larger tank and from reading most of the tanks out there are for the Husky 501, which is slightly different for the 501 S. IMS has a 3.1 gallon but that sure doesn't get you near the 200 mile range.

Maybe there is a basic rear mount with some rotpack things?

I have the Honda Africa Twin as a true adventure bike, I want to keep this more basic and off-road oriented.

Suspension suggestions? It is still stock and I think these are built for 180 lbs youngsters, not the massive man I am at 260. I have played with the preload on the rear, it helped, but have a feeling it may be a bit soft on the big stuff (soon as I get to ride it off-road). Of course rain this weekend...

I was looking on where to mount my Garmin Montana. I have an extra RAM mount, but even that gets a bit crowed in the cockpit. Anybody have some cool suggestions?

Here is an odd headlight issue I discovered last night on my madden ride. The Husky has a white plastic which looks cool, but with the angles in the front fender the entire strength of the headlight reflects right back into my face basically blinding me at night. The only thing I can think of is some type of flat black plastic film to lay into / onto the fender in front of the headlight. Anybody run into this before?

Well that's it for now. Looking forward to Big Bend on a real dirt bike!!!

(Hope the AT didn't hear that, she is still going too)

It's obvious that this bike is not what you were looking for. Luckily I will accept it as a donation and you can put this whole affair behind you & move on with your life.

:rofl:

I was lusting after that bike while still for sale. Glad you preventing me making another hasty decision. Congrats on the new bike.

I quess I'll get to see it in BB in a few weeks.

Mike, what that bike NEEDS is to run the trails at Wilderness Rider Buffalo Ranch... Also better bring along that Twin for all these great asphalt twisties we have up here. Still hoping to make it out to this years Big Bend dirt riding extravaganza. Maybe we can do some riding together. In case you don't know already, I weigh right at 180. Maybe I should just ride that Husky, since its all set up for me?

You all have enough bikes already don't be coveting mine new baby.

I have only zipped around the streets near my house but from what I can tell so far this is light like my old CR250 but way more torque and massively more explosive power. It just bursts with hp. Can't wait to hit some dirt.

Now those with a similar KTM or husky, what about gearing. It has a 15/45 setup now and will do 90 easy but is pretty tall for trials type technical sections. Was thinking about ordering 14/49. Does anybody have thoughts or what are you running?

Wow that sounds like too much reduction. You might begin with a 14 front sprocket. 1 tooth change on the front is like 3 teeth on the rear. Im guessing that may dial in a nice combo for riding the more technical trails, while still keeping decent street ability when needed.

I just bought a new to me 2015 500 xcw and its got 14/50 on it now. I have only had it a few weeks and like you have only buzzed around my neighborhood so no off road riding yet. Was planning on it today but the stupid weather made me reconsider.

That said, I made my 06 450 xc street legal years ago and went with 14/48. There are some times where I'd like it a bit lower in the tough stuff but overall I've been pretty happy with it.

Sweet bike BTW. I rode with a friend in BB a few months ago who just got a 501 and he loves it. I was actually looking for either the 500 or a 501 when I found the one I bought.

Cheers...Jeff

Well making great progress on making the Husky all mine. Just finished installing the IMS 3.2 gallon tank, switching to Tubliss gen 2 tubeless system and installed new tires, GPS mount, setting up bars, levers, new chain and sprockets (14/49) and set the TPS to 6.4 (wow what a difference that made!)

Tires, well that is interesting. The front is nothing short of amazing. It is a Goldentyre GT216AA Fatty and not only looks cool, is a huge improvement over stock. Feels so much better on and off-road.

Just finished installing the rear tire, not sure what to think. It is so soft and giving I can’t get the front end up on the street anymore. Feels like it is going to be kick *** in the rocks, but sure strange. It is a Goldentyre GT216X “Gummy”. To say it is gummy is an understatement. You can roll the knob over like a sponge. They claim it is the best tire ever in technical stuff, but sure seems crazy soft.

Time will tell.

The tubliss went on easy enough, can’t wait to see how it works. I have the front aired down to 10 PSI which is insane low for me, I am typically 18 to 20 PSI on a front.

Need to get out to the off-road park by Marble Falls this weekend to finish sorting it out.

Well look what followed me home Monday...

IMG_20170313_172603-L.jpg

IMG_20170313_172511-L.jpg

IMG_20170313_172603-L.jpg

2015 with 500 miles. Apparently all street so obviously I've replaced the tires (Pirelli MT-21), went Tubliss, got a mount for my Scotts, "real" handguards & a Garmin mount. I've ordered a rack with a Rotopax mount for fuel when needed and also the kickstarter kit because you never know...

Right on, she looks beautifuL...

Will you be bringing her to BB?

Need to do the Scott's after BB. What rack did you order? Check your TPS really woke mine up.

Right on, she looks beautifuL...

Will you be bringing her to BB?

Need to do the Scott's after BB. What rack did you order? Check your TPS really woke mine up.

Yes, BB will be her maiden voyage. I'm using the Nomad rack & the TPS was done by the previous owner so all good there.

Can't wait to for the two to get together and share some dirt :)

Hey what rear tire did you get and the size? I am not liking this "Gummy" tire. The front is great.

Pirelli Scorpion XC Mid-Hard. I have them on my XR & have been happy so far plus KTM of N. Texas are doing a pair for $120.

What size did you get for your rear? The stock tire was a 140/80 - 18, but on line is saying to get a 110/80 - 18. The Goldentyre I installed is a 140/80 - 18 and fits, it is big but it did fit. So confused.

Back