• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Husky Suspension Removal

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
It’s time for the Husky to have a suspension refreshed so I decided to pull off the forks and the shock today

Forks work easy as can be the rear shock is a massive PIA. The machinations and contortions you have to go through to remove the exhaust is just insane who in the world ever designed this should either be whacked upside the head and give an award for some brilliant Percision fitting

Of course at the very end I realized I could not take the Shock out unless I remove my skid plate But the wheel less husky was sitting on said skid plate

The answer seems simple enough just pick the motorcycle up with the tractor

c737c17099d1a7d745aabe23c252ec28.jpg

b23d5ad21d89c405edce7aaa1f09a797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
Most race team mechanics I've seen will just remove the subframe to make the shock change easier

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Oh now you tell me

Honestly I was thinking I might do that to put it back together I don’t know how I’m gonna get the exhaust in there with the shock in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
There has to be a trick to it. I assume you disconnected the muffler from the header correct?

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Yes muffler disconnected first. I think you need to push the shock over a bit and let it drop down. I couldn’t because of the full length acrylic skid plate that covers the linkage and shock. That is why I had to pick it up, remove the skid plate and then drop the shock, remove the header then lift the shock up and out through the side.

Hope it will go back in that order

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
Yes muffler disconnected first. I think you need to push the shock over a bit and let it drop down. I couldn’t because of the full length acrylic skid plate that covers the linkage and shock. That is why I had to pick it up, remove the skid plate and then drop the shock, remove the header then lift the shock up and out through the side.

I'm sure I'll go through this on southtex's new 350

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
I'm sure I'll go through this on southtex's new 350
If his new, not bad. Rotate subframe up and exhaust silencer can be removed without entire exhaust on mine. Really wasn't terrible, sill a PIA.

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
If his new, not bad. Rotate subframe up and exhaust silencer can be removed without entire exhaust on mine. Really wasn't terrible, sill a PIA.
2019. He picks it up Thursday. Tj's did him good on it too!

First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
2019. He picks it up Thursday. Tj's did him good on it too!
First time ever for me, and as I'm known for I've had plenty, I installed the correct shock spring before i ever rode it. Stock was just way too soft! lol

First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
First time ever for me, and as I'm known for I've had plenty, I installed the correct shock spring before i ever rode it. Stock was just way too soft! lol
Kirk will probably think it feels fine. So we will see.

First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
Probably will be, I'm porky! I just knew from my 2018 350 it wouldn't work for me, so soft I couldn't hardly make it turn, lol.
He is 6' +/- and over 200lbs(iirc) surprised he hasn't chimed in yet

copb8

Forum Supporter
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
So I guess that's one of the differences between the Husky 501 and the KTM 500. Mine doesn't have the linked rear shock and getting the shock out was pretty easy. Took very little time. I'm surprised that it's so much more difficult with the link.