• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Husky Suspension Removal

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
It’s time for the Husky to have a suspension refreshed so I decided to pull off the forks and the shock today

Forks work easy as can be the rear shock is a massive PIA. The machinations and contortions you have to go through to remove the exhaust is just insane who in the world ever designed this should either be whacked upside the head and give an award for some brilliant Percision fitting

Of course at the very end I realized I could not take the Shock out unless I remove my skid plate But the wheel less husky was sitting on said skid plate

The answer seems simple enough just pick the motorcycle up with the tractor

c737c17099d1a7d745aabe23c252ec28.jpg

b23d5ad21d89c405edce7aaa1f09a797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most race team mechanics I've seen will just remove the subframe to make the shock change easier

Oh now you tell me

Honestly I was thinking I might do that to put it back together I don’t know how I’m gonna get the exhaust in there with the shock in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has to be a trick to it. I assume you disconnected the muffler from the header correct?

Yes muffler disconnected first. I think you need to push the shock over a bit and let it drop down. I couldn’t because of the full length acrylic skid plate that covers the linkage and shock. That is why I had to pick it up, remove the skid plate and then drop the shock, remove the header then lift the shock up and out through the side.

Hope it will go back in that order

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes muffler disconnected first. I think you need to push the shock over a bit and let it drop down. I couldn’t because of the full length acrylic skid plate that covers the linkage and shock. That is why I had to pick it up, remove the skid plate and then drop the shock, remove the header then lift the shock up and out through the side.

I'm sure I'll go through this on southtex's new 350

I'm sure I'll go through this on southtex's new 350
If his new, not bad. Rotate subframe up and exhaust silencer can be removed without entire exhaust on mine. Really wasn't terrible, sill a PIA.

If his new, not bad. Rotate subframe up and exhaust silencer can be removed without entire exhaust on mine. Really wasn't terrible, sill a PIA.
2019. He picks it up Thursday. Tj's did him good on it too!

2019. He picks it up Thursday. Tj's did him good on it too!
First time ever for me, and as I'm known for I've had plenty, I installed the correct shock spring before i ever rode it. Stock was just way too soft! lol

First time ever for me, and as I'm known for I've had plenty, I installed the correct shock spring before i ever rode it. Stock was just way too soft! lol
Kirk will probably think it feels fine. So we will see.

Kirk will probably think it feels fine. So we will see.
Probably will be, I'm porky! I just knew from my 2018 350 it wouldn't work for me, so soft I couldn't hardly make it turn, lol.

Probably will be, I'm porky! I just knew from my 2018 350 it wouldn't work for me, so soft I couldn't hardly make it turn, lol.
He is 6' +/- and over 200lbs(iirc) surprised he hasn't chimed in yet

So I guess that's one of the differences between the Husky 501 and the KTM 500. Mine doesn't have the linked rear shock and getting the shock out was pretty easy. Took very little time. I'm surprised that it's so much more difficult with the link.

KTM engineers are a strange crew. Gas caps threw them for a loop for several years. Then that guy was sent to the susp dept! ;-)

Hey @kubotamiketx

We always remove the swing arm to allow enough room to drop the shock out without damaging (scratching) of the shock reservoir, its another step that takes a few moments but also allows lubricating the swing arm bearings. May as well pack the linkage bearings while you are there as well. When it comes to torquing of the bike during reinstall, I always drop the bike off the stand and torque all linkage swing arm hardware while the bike is under a load (bikes own weight). While it shouldn't be an issue if you do not follow this process we take the extra measure just to ensure there isn't any binding issues within the components.

Feel free to call the shop if you have any questions and thank you again for your business, we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new setup!

Best regards,

Alex M.

Alex thank you again for the quick turnaround for the Husky suspension. Hadn't thought about doing the swing arm at the time, seems like when the barn is 104 degrees I just don't think straight. I did lube the linkage while I was there. Sure went together much easier after I figured out the extended skid plate was preventing the shock from dropping down, that was the key to getting the exhaust header off and back on.

Hopping to get to Hidden Falls this coming Sunday if only for a couple of hours. Need to try and dial in the suspension before Breckenridge!!! Getting really excited about the trip, just think high temps that don't break 80 degrees!!!

Hey @kubotamiketx

We always remove the swing arm to allow enough room to drop the shock out without damaging (scratching) of the shock reservoir, its another step that takes a few moments but also allows lubricating the swing arm bearings. May as well pack the linkage bearings while you are there as well. When it comes to torquing of the bike during reinstall, I always drop the bike off the stand and torque all linkage swing arm hardware while the bike is under a load (bikes own weight). While it shouldn't be an issue if you do not follow this process we take the extra measure just to ensure there isn't any binding issues within the components.

Feel free to call the shop if you have any questions and thank you again for your business, we look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new setup!

Best regards,

Alex M.
:thumb: Always good to hear of a shop doing things the right way!

Back