• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I-69 between Sugar Land and Rosenberg-- treacherous, be careful...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All

This stretch of road is in "permanent construction" mode. Best I can tell, three years and running, with no end in sight. Anyway, I rode the MV home through this stretch yesterday about noon. It is just ugly. Hazards include high speed, no shoulders, asphalt seams and gaps, two extremely rapid onramps with no visibility, many large trucks, and active construction equipment. Add to that yesterday they had a street sweeper going because the road often has significant debris. Just awful. I avoid whenever possible, and won't ride this stretch again for another six months if I can help it. Lethal index: 4.5 skulls out of five skulls.

Thanks for the heads up.

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

This sounds like north i10 San antonio but I know Yours is multiplied with the multitude of people your way.

Personally I think the TXDOT should drop the speed limit in this section to about 40, but they won't as it is such a key corridor. What gets me is the progress on finishing is almost nil, but lots of activity and big trucks and disruption.

That is like the Katy freeway was a decade ago, constant construction for miles and years.

I was down that way a few months ago riding down to Brazos Bend and it was horrible.

Business 90 thru town is more enjoyable than a freeway . If I have to go into town it’s in a big truck with wraparound iron bumpers . I do not ride a bike in town , well maybe at 7 Sunday morning .

As long as TXDOT continues to award the incompetent idiots at Williams Brothers Construction the Houston area projects we will be plagued with bad quality construction, long delays, lack of signage, and general miserable experiences on road rebuilds. I do not know who is sleeping with who or whose brother in law is whose, but when you look at projects in other parts of the state Zachary seems to lead the way in efficiency and quality.

Take a drive out 290 and look at the sections Williams is working on.....the concrete is already cracking and at seams there are already chunks coming up.

And they also had I-10....concrete is already falling apart in many places.

Coming home to San Antonio, I rode this exact stretch yesterday, southbound.
It didn't seem so bad. It sure helps that it was between 9:00 & 10:00 on a Monday morning.

Then I hit the construction. Man, that was a bit unnerving. I can certainly see how that can get bad quick. I was glad to get off.

The real challenge has been that there are no other alternatives. 69 SW is under construction. I10 west between Brookshire and the Brazos is under construction. Until just recently 290 west was under construction, not that I want to ride through the Galleria to get to 290. Probably the safest, although not the fastest or construction free, is to take 1093 into and out of town via the Westpark tollway.

The key to making any of these work is being through them when traffic is light, meaning early in the morning.

when you look at projects in other parts of the state Zachary seems to lead the way in efficiency and quality.

Go to Hondo. Go to the airport. Walk out on the ramps. Look at the concrete.
It's from WW2, and still excellent. Whodunit? Zachary.

Anytime I drive between Houston/Conroe and SAT, I have the Garmin on the dash for traffic updates.
More than once I've ended up on 90.

Safety first has rarely been my motto, but as i get older I too whine alot about riding conditions. I just don't ever want to go to Austin anymore any heck, I'm only 45 minutes away. Not sure what demographic is moving here to add the rudeness and incompetence to the roadways.

Well I left Silicon Valley for CO in 2000. I lane split for 20 years commuting to work and never had any real problems except once. When I moved to Austin area (Hutto) in 2011, I developed a theory about intelligence of the general population and it's impact on driving skills and ability. I think my theory is somewhat blown up at this point, or I need to consider adding a few more variables.

Reactions: JMZ
Back