• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"I am Christ Clinic" [video]

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Give me your thoughts on this video I made.
It's for a local non-profit medical clinic called Christ Clinic, and it's for their annual fundraiser breakfast.

edited in Adobe Premier Pro CC. I downloaded the trail version Monday and and cranked out the video this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMTY-S0Bkfg&feature=youtu.be

Oh and you may have to turn it up a bit, I have the background check pulled pretty far down, because my voice over recording came out very weak or low for some reason, and I didn't really have time to correct the problem. The fundraiser breakfast is this Friday

I think it was pretty good, and that's coming from a guy who knows zero about putting something like this together.

1) What camera(s) were you using? I liked the quality of the video and the selective focus techniques. With the first speaker, I couldn't help but keep looking at the reflection to see what vehicles were coming and going. Next time, maybe consider reflections?

2) "How to save a life" for the music. Brilliant. :clap: How did you go about using that sound track? How much was it? Is that in Creative Commons? Curious how that whole music thing works.

3) Was that you doing the narration? Sure didn't sound like you!

Pulling something like that together in three days. Wow. That's some quick learning and trial by fire. But 'ya done good in my book.

What's the intended audience? Where will it be placed?

I think it was pretty good, and that's coming from a guy who knows zero about putting something like this together.

1) What camera(s) were you using? I liked the quality of the video and the selective focus techniques. With the first speaker, I couldn't help but keep looking at the reflection to see what vehicles were coming and going. Next time, maybe consider reflections?

2) "How to save a life" for the music. Brilliant. :clap: How did you go about using that sound track? How much was it? Is that in Creative Commons? Curious how that whole music thing works.

3) Was that you doing the narration? Sure didn't sound like you!

Pulling something like that together in three days. Wow. That's some quick learning and trial by fire. But 'ya done good in my book.

What's the intended audience? Where will it be placed?

Thanks for the compliment. I've put in a few really late nights :Rofl:

1. High end Canon DSLR. Our associate pastor, Joe, had his own photog business and studio for many years before working for the church full time. He still does corporate head shots and stuff. He did the filming and had the equipment and knows how to use it.
I help "direct" the shots. Try to get the subject to give me useable info. One of my main challenges this project was, the language barrier for Ramona. Had to have some one translate all our footage so I could pick clips and put it in. So I really didn't know exactly what I was getting. The other challenge was, I wasn't able to make the second shoot. Had I been there I would have had him word stuff differently so I could have told his story better.
I've learned there's a big difference in communicating information and telling a compelling story.

2. For the music, I think I'm kinda breaking the rules. I bought an instrumental only track, and plugged it in. I paid $2 or something on iTunes.

3. Haha no, not me. I have an ugly voice, and a face for TV :D. That's actually my boss (and pastor of my church). He has a background in TV and communication and a good voice for stuff like this.

The audience are most corporate business folks, they hope will donate a ton of money to keep the operation going throughout the year. It'll be played there, and will probably end up on their website. I made one last year that went over really well. Made that one in iMovie.

Premier is a great program. I was watching a lot of YouTube videos on how to do stuff and finding my own way on some. It's really tedious. Each frame that was white with text was a different pic or page I had to make, and then time with the voice over.

Surprisingly as ADHD as I am, I'm able to sit still and do stuff like this. Unfortunately I don't hit my stride and am more creative after midnight, and I'm not as young as I use to be :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice overall. You have several places that you are dissolving between shots that are the same composition. My personal preference would be to put some cutaways in there instead. You may be able to make some of the shots closer without degrading them to much. Even if you don't have a shot of something else to put there, you could use shots of hands, or even close ups of them not talking for a second or two. These are just my opinions. That's one of the great things I've learned over the years in video, there's just about no right or wrong in video, only opinion.

Looks nice overall. You have several places that you are dissolving between shots that are the same composition. My personal preference would be to put some cutaways in there instead. You may be able to make some of the shots closer without degrading them to much. Even if you don't have a shot of something else to put there, you could use shots of hands, or even close ups of them not talking for a second or two. These are just my opinions. That's one of the great things I've learned over the years in video, there's just about no right or wrong in video, only opinion.

Those are great ideas. I'll put those in the bag for next time. The "client" is super happy with it, and since it runs tomorrow I think i'll leave it.
I have some good shots of the subject smiling and stuff that would be great there like you mentioned, I really like that idea.
I guess what they paid, it turned out ok. $0.00 :rofl:

I do wish I had more b-roll to work with. We shot the interviews a few weeks ago, but because of my work and personal/family travel and stuff going on, I didn't start it until last week. The inspiration for the "I am" sequence hit me last week late one night, and Joe and I went up there Friday to film those spots and a little b-roll.

thanks!

Well for a 1st timer that was very impressive. Since you ask for thoughts, here's a few of mine;

1) use the B-Roll footage earlier during the interviews, it both keeps the viewer's attention and helps you cover the intercuts
2) you need to color correct Jason's on camera (OC) to match Ramona's (she is nicely lit BTW)
3) the rack focus cutaway is a nice touch but keep it short
4) Jason's line "If I didn't...wouldn't be alive right now" is the last thing we should see/hear on the video
5) the "I am" sequence is nice but it would be nicer if we see all the b-roll nurses & staff we've met integrated into that, sort of ties everything together
6) we need to see Ramona's face at the "vampires" line to reinforce that it's a kindly joke
7) consider a boom mic (not mounted on-camera) as the visual of the lav tends to detract from the person to person quality
8) the OC at 3:40 is only on the left channel

To smooth out the audio consider using Audacity (free). Import the audio track into the software, normalize and export, then re-lay over the video.

I do wish I had more b-roll to work with.

Always shoot a few exterior pans, the business sign, cars pulling in, close ups of doors opening, blood pressure machines, that type of thing.

For cutaways during interviews have the subject tell a story & shoot only their hands while they talk.

You'll be surprised at how useful those can be and they take no time to capture.

Well for a 1st timer that was very impressive. Since you ask for thoughts, here's a few of mine;

1) use the B-Roll footage earlier during the interviews, it both keeps the viewer's attention and helps you cover the intercuts
2) you need to color correct Jason's on camera (OC) to match Ramona's (she is nicely lit BTW)
3) the rack focus cutaway is a nice touch but keep it short
4) Jason's line "If I didn't...wouldn't be alive right now" is the last thing we should see/hear on the video
5) the "I am" sequence is nice but it would be nicer if we see all the b-roll nurses & staff we've met integrated into that, sort of ties everything together
6) we need to see Ramona's face at the "vampires" line to reinforce that it's a kindly joke
7) consider a boom mic (not mounted on-camera) as the visual of the lav tends to detract from the person to person quality
8) the OC at 3:40 is only on the left channel

To smooth out the audio consider using Audacity (free). Import the audio track into the software, normalize and export, then re-lay over the video.

Always shoot a few exterior pans, the business sign, cars pulling in, close ups of doors opening, blood pressure machines, that type of thing.

For cutaways during interviews have the subject tell a story & shoot only their hands while they talk.

You'll be surprised at how useful those can be and they take no time to capture.

All great thoughts! Thanks :thumb:
I'm definitely a beginner at this, though I did make a video for them last year.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuWBuN80_dA"]Christ Clinic Rose Mary's Story - YouTube[/ame]

I need to do this stuff more often so I can get to know Premier better, and use all these tips you guys are giving.

What is b-roll? Never heard that term

Here in Austin, the local community college has recently used the I Am tag with "i am ACC" in its adverts.

Here in Austin, the local community college has recently used the I Am tag with "i am ACC" in its adverts.

b-roll is everything that's not your subject.
So shots of the building, or cars, or ducks, or groups of people talking. Filler footage to keep the video interesting and not just one static video for the whole time.

Thx for the description! So if you don't have people as the main subject, is it ALL b-footage?

QUOTE]

In the early days of editing videotape if you wanted any kind of a transistion other than a cut you had to use two playback machines. The "A" roll generally had the primary subject matter. The "B" roll had the extra video. You had to edit the "B" roll so the video would pop up at the right times to fill the holes on the "A" roll. You then had to roll both playbacks in sync and do the effects through a video switcher as you recorded to a record deck. Although we no longer have to edit that way, thank God, the term b-roll hung on.

It may even predate videotape and have to be done that way with film. Luckily for me the industry had moved to tape by the time I got in it.

What Philip said (since I know next to nothing about videos). The sound is very low. I have both the video and my pc sound maxed out and can hardly hear much more than my AC cranking away in the window. The sound levels in different segments can usually be set relative to just that segment - lower the narrative and raise the video levels. FWIW...

Yeah, the sound is low. If I put it thru a sound system it sounds fine.
When we recorded the voice over, for whatever reason it is really low. Since I was in a time crunch I didn't have time to redo it. I've got the volume on that track maxed out, and the volume on the others backed down so it matches better.
I'm going to try and tweak it tonight a little, but for sure next week before I give them the version to load on their website. It'll be fine for tomorrow since I'm playing thru a sound system.

awesome! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I'm sure they're going to ask me to do this again next year:

As a general rule, when you're doing these type of, interview to tell a story, videos.
About how long should your clips be of the subject before cutting to some b-roll?
How much b=roll is too much?

I'm thinking next year, in addition to the good camera getting the main footage, use another camera pointed at the subject. Maybe even get some footage of us filming.

As a general rule, when you're doing these type of, interview to tell a story, videos.
About how long should your clips be of the subject before cutting to some b-roll?
How much b=roll is too much?

I'm thinking next year, in addition to the good camera getting the main footage, use another camera pointed at the subject. Maybe even get some footage of us filming.

Much of your question is creative and there's no absolute answer, generally there's a place where it will just feel right. Looking at your piece I would say that's around 0:52 (where you have the cut) or let that shot establish for a few seconds then cut to B roll. I would also have introduced Ramona's OC as an undercut during the VO at about 0:24.

A 2nd camera is a great tool to have an it can even be a GoPro or similar lower end unit. Since your interviews are direct to camera (which works well) you're not going to be able to cut away to an over shoulder shot of the interviewer but in general that kind of set up works well.

Be mindful to avoid "hot or hip" tricks especially with emotive content like this. We've all lived through the "white flash" edit point, the B/W reverse cut away and the "MTV" shaky handheld. Watch any hipster motorcycling video and you'll see the entire catalog laid out. To my mind, if it doesn't add to the story you're telling then it has no place.

You've already mastered the "keep the camera moving" technique with B roll very well. Static shots are boring. Some of the pro-am Steadicam type rigs are really cheap and once mastered can be used to tremendous effect in situations like this. I also worked with a DP who had a cheap crane, you weren't going to make a feature film with this baby but it made for stunning B-roll shots.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll definitely be referring back to this if they ask me to do it again next year.
The video went over really well, they were super happy with it and it got many compliments. One lady said, " was really great, the camera was out of focus at times, but other than that it was good." I just looked at her at said, "yeah, it was like that on purpose." She just looked at me with a blank look :doh:

Out of curiosity, how much would something like this cost them had they paid a legit company to do it?
I realize my production isn't near professional, but I did put in a lot of hours. And hey they price was right for them :lol2:
They're work off donations and volunteers, so if I didn't do it free, they wouldn't have one.

Out of curiosity, how much would something like this cost them had they paid a legit company to do it?

DP & camera, 2 days - $1200 p/day = $2,400
Location Soundman, 2 days - $1,000 = $2,000
Grip Truck, Gaffer, 2 days - $2,000 p/day = $4,000
Editor, 24 hours - $175 p/hr = $4,375
Director - 6 days, $850 p/day = $5,100
Tape, disposables, donuts etc - $750

Rough numbers obviously = $18,625.00

So somewhere between $8K for the "videographer" package to $25K for a full production.

When I do stuff like this I always tell them I offer a rock solid money back guarantee. If they don't like it they get their money back. Since it was gratis, they usually just smile.

DP & camera, 2 days - $1200 p/day = $2,400
Location Soundman, 2 days - $1,000 = $2,000
Grip Truck, Gaffer, 2 days - $2,000 p/day = $4,000
Editor, 24 hours - $175 p/hr = $4,375
Director - 6 days, $850 p/day = $5,100
Tape, disposables, donuts etc - $750

Rough numbers obviously = $18,625.00

So somewhere between $8K for the "videographer" package to $25K for a full production.

:eek2: WOW that's a lot of coin. Perhaps I missed my calling :lol2:
For some reason I really enjoy the whole process and telling a story, and the work behind it. If I had any actual training or schooling I might try to get a job in that field. BUt I really like the gig I've got :mrgreen:

When I do stuff like this I always tell them I offer a rock solid money back guarantee. If they don't like it they get their money back. Since it was gratis, they usually just smile.

:lol2: I'll tell her that next time :mrgreen:

Back