• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I have joined the scooter crowd

Well I didn't wait for the Burgman to sell. I'll post pictures later, but I picked up an 18' Xmax with 3300 miles this past Saturday. Came with a Puig touring screen, Yamaha luggage rack and badged top box. CBRider, this was av8erdunns Xmax form the Battle Scooter forum.

Well I didn't wait for the Burgman to sell. I'll post pictures later, but I picked up an 18' Xmax with 3300 miles this past Saturday. Came with a Puig touring screen, Yamaha luggage rack and badged top box. CBRider, this was av8erdunns Xmax form the Battle Scooter forum.
:eek2: congratulations have fun

... Cannonball... I'm hoping to ride the PCX next year with it's 13.4 hp. I haven't done anything like this before but then again neither have 99.999% of the population....

Our Dos y Dos & Tiddler cohort, Brad, is prepping couple of Honda Helix's for us to ride in the Cannonball....

I see MacDaddy, BradtheDestroyer & SwampFox are officially registered for the 2020 Scooter Cannonball Run.

Now for the hardest part: Getting us and our scooters to the starting point in Maine.

Yes I am Swampfox! I'm sure I saw you at the Tiddler Run this spring but I guess I'll have to wait untill we get to Bar Harbor ME. to meet you officially.

Yes, logistics? I haven't fully figured that out yet. I have a friend who has expressed some interest in coming along and driving my Sorento in support. If so, I'd just put the PCX on a hitch mounted carrier and drive up there with him probably flying in. That of course would solve my how to get back from Ventura CA. problem. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped out either. I see shipping is a common theme for many and I'm watching that but I'd like to have some more personalized support.

Scooter question: I wear atgatt because I once slid down the highway upside down and I appreciate the added visibility of my all yellow gear. Besides, I once rode to church without my gear. My shirt flapping in the wind was painful and ridiculous. Without my helmet, my glasses about blew off my face. Never again.

Scooters offer great convenience: wind, rain, cold air, grasshopper, small rock protection built in, underseat storage plus top case storage.

Seems like I never see anyone riding a scooter with much, if any gear on. I would always wear gloves and my helmet no matter what. But just that gear would simplify the prep and degearing before going into Walmart. Scooters seem to encourage a more car transportation mentality.

What gear do you scooterists wear?

1569957159494.png

This picture from the ADRiders battlescooter thread.
Guessing that's what my legs would look like.
My 30" leg length has always been a handicap.

Last edited:
I'm not technically riding a scooter when on a Ct90 but I wear all the gear except pants. I rarely wear them.

My not so serious answer to gear: From the bottom up, flip flops, speedo, contrasting large red cape, racquet ball glasses and a shower cap. Oh, and the finger less gloves allow me to text and ride. I'm also considering getting some carbon fiber pattern tattoos in my high impact areas. Com'on, its just a scooter. :shrug:

My more serious answer: Yes I have relaxed my gear requirements a little since since I bought my first scooter, a Burgman 650 two years ago. I've added more in-town (errands, etc.) riding to my normal 17-mile one way commute which consists primarily of back roads, so I bought 3/4 helmet. I've opted to trade some comfort for safety.

Even before the scooter, I didn't wear riding pants to and from work due to my job requirements but always wore them when riding for pleasure. I have since bought a pair of SIDI high-top riding shoes for those days chasing groceries and such. I know I've added to the risk of an injury but I also rode carbon fiber bikes is spandex for a number of years and assumed that risk as well. Talk about feeling vulnerable!

I've really come to appreciate the ease of use that comes with scooter ownership. You could pack a lot of stuff under the seat of my former Burgman or my currant Xmax (300cc), plus throw on the top box, and no one knows you're carrying a ton of stuff.

BTW, I'm averaging 75mpg on the Xmax and 107 on the PCX.

Thanks for everyone's replies to gear worn while enjoying your scooter/small bike. Gearing up and down, especially wearing riding pants when making multiple stops in town, is a pain. Scooter gas mileage and convenience is outstanding!

I'm on page 58 of the battle scooter thread. Only another 100 pages to go. Learning a lot there.

The Xmax is a great comprimes between 75 mph cruising ability and gas mileage. Next Spring I'll be looking for one.

Yes, if you're willing I need to take a short ride. Wondering about my feet touching the ground and the general feel of a scooter. The Midland Yamaha dealer has a leftover 2108. I'm approximately 3 three hours and a 140 miles west of you.

Yes, if you're willing I need to take a short ride. Wondering about my feet touching the ground and the general feel of a scooter. The Midland Yamaha dealer has a leftover 2108. I'm approximately 3 three hours and a 140 miles west of you.
Destination Cycle in Kerrville has a new 2018 Burgman marked down to $8850 + TT&L plus $350 freight. OTD $10,300ish

I’ve had my new to me Xmax now about two months. I’ve used primarily to commute to work, 36 mile round-trip and it handles that task very well.

I had the day off and couldn’t pass up this nice weather in the 70s. I got a late start, but rode out to Edom to the Shed for lunch. I covered about 270 miles. The Xmax handled everything from 80+ mph interstates’ to narrow Van Zandt County back roads very well. It was nice to spend more time on it in varied applications.

A few pictures from the day.

a650b0220da658947acfeb18582976c4.jpg
b2de10bb8e63c32b65645023c783c20f.jpg
73c1dc3b141db89fc19484763faee4ae.jpg
76315937e1f1540e3ea6f76b23afda47.jpg
0fcfb7d95195f8c5ffd1eb2091cae4f4.jpg
7f6fab06868fd3866243923afae2b2c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Suzuki drop the 400 and 650 Burgmans?

2020 Suzuki Scooters
I didn't see an answer here so I will. The 400 and 200 Burgmans are alive and well for 2020. The 650 was discontinued after the 2018 models. Doing an online search it appears there are still several on the market from the dealer network. If a person were interested I would think it would be a good time to do some serious negotiations with a dealer if you were wanting new.

You can observe my usual riding position in my avatar, leaned forward. That picture was taken when the 1964 Chevy in the background was new. Now my neck and back suffer from arthritis. Sitting upright on a scooter is a revelation. No upward neck straining and I can see so much better :)

You can observe my usual riding position in my avatar, leaned forward. That picture was taken when the 1964 Chevy in the background was new. Now my neck and back suffer from arthritis. Sitting upright on a scooter is a revelation. No upward neck straining and I can see so much better :)
From my experience riding a big Burgman, I would describe the riding position as a neutral position. Over the many years of my riding I have ridden cruisers, baggers and sport touring and some dual sport models before getting into a Burgman. You can sit up or slouch if desired and most of us have room to move around if you are on a long ride. There are a pretty good selection of aftermarket seats available if you are so inclined to change. All of that and the whole twist and go thing really is handy and comfortable too.

I didn't see an answer here so I will. The 400 and 200 Burgmans are alive and well for 2020. The 650 was discontinued after the 2018 models. Doing an online search it appears there are still several on the market from the dealer network. If a person were interested I would think it would be a good time to do some serious negotiations with a dealer if you were wanting new.
Can't believe they are dropping the 650. They have built a great reputation for a reliable and comfortable ride for long distances.

Can't believe they are dropping the 650. They have built a great reputation for a reliable and comfortable ride for long distances.
Their reputation is well deserved to be sure. I remain hopeful it is just a break to allow an updated version to come along but I haven't seen anything from Suzuki giving a clue to the future of the big Burgman. I think the US is a tough market for bikes like that.

Last edited:
It is a tough market but I see a lot more 650s than 400s. 200s are too new to compare numbers.

Truth is the 400 will do anything the 650 does for the way I ride. But does it last the same? It's ok, I'm not in the market right now but a scooter does appear to be in my future for many reasons.

It is a tough market but I see a lot more 650s than 400s. 200s are too new to compare numbers.

Truth is the 400 will do anything the 650 does for the way I ride. But does it last the same? It's ok, I'm not in the market right now but a scooter does appear to be in my future for many reasons.
I have a few friends with the 400s. They do have a lot of the same attributes of the 650, just a smaller engine. One of the things that brought me to the big Burger was the final drive set up. No belt to contend with, just keep it filled with oil. I bought mine in 2017 after mulling it over for more than a year. For all of my fears about what I would give up when I did get it, those turned out to be unfounded. You will have acquaintances that will make fun of you but real friends don't care what you ride.

There’s a scooter on the Bing home page right now.

Whenever I think of scooters, Quadrafenia springs to mind...

I know, not the same thing, but...

Back