• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I have joined the scooter crowd

So I purchased a new white 2018 Burgman 400 yesterday...other than the break in period being a PIA, the scooter is fun to ride and definitely different from what I'm used to.

Put the first 45 miles on the odometer taking it home from the Mancuso Lamarque store.

Going to put some more miles on it this morning... :rider:

Congrats RobG. I've heard those latest generation 400's are pretty nice for sure. My intro in to this started with a used 650 Burgman. I knew I wanted to own one but they were certainly a different riding experience initially. I thought it was okay but probably a month later I finally"Got it" and have been hooked ever since. I like my Super Tenere but unless I can exploit it's strengths over my scooters it just sits in the garage wondering when it can play in the dirt again.

So I purchased a new white 2018 Burgman 400 yesterday...other than the break in period being a PIA, the scooter is fun to ride and definitely different from what I'm used to.
Put the first 45 miles on the odometer taking it home from the Mancuso Lamarque store.
Going to put some more miles on it this morning... :rider:
Congrats on the new scoot. I haven't ridden a 400 but can attest to the fun factor of the 650. After the break in cautions about how to ride it, you will enjoy it even more.

Congrats RobG. I've heard those latest generation 400's are pretty nice for sure. My intro in to this started with a used 650 Burgman. I knew I wanted to own one but they were certainly a different riding experience initially. I thought it was okay but probably a month later I finally"Got it" and have been hooked ever since. I like my Super Tenere but unless I can exploit it's strengths over my scooters it just sits in the garage wondering when it can play in the dirt again.
It took me a long time to convince myself I was going to buy a Burgman. The ego and change in my mindset were the hardest things to change. After a few years of ownership and almost 30K miles, it is my go to bike for almost all occasions.

So put another 80 miles this morning...headed south by the Brazos Bend State Park area, a fun ride but after two hours my butt was hurtin'pretty bad...hope the seat gets better when broken in. BTW, I was pleasantly surprised the 400 does a good job holding it's line in windy conditions...winds were 15-20 from the south. :rider:

Wow I'm typing this with both feet in cast and bummed Suzuki dropped the 650. I too have a big 1200 Tenere that doesn't get ridden enough and after my accident I have been thinking of just selling it and getting a new Big Burgman.
Since it doesn't look like I'll be do much off road riding for a while on the Big 10.
My wife has test rode the 650 B with me and loves the big seat. She doesn't like the Tenere seat at all.
My son in Colorado rides a Harley so a 400 or 200 won't be enough. Guess I'll just have to buy used once I get back on my feet. Wife goes nuts every time I start talking about getting back on my bikes, so I can't bring one home yet.
OR
Maybe I'll just buy an airplane.

Wow I'm typing this with both feet in cast and bummed Suzuki dropped the 650. I too have a big 1200 Tenere that doesn't get ridden enough and after my accident I have been thinking of just selling it and getting a new Big Burgman.
Since it doesn't look like I'll be do much off road riding for a while on the Big 10.
My wife has test rode the 650 B with me and loves the big seat. She doesn't like the Tenere seat at all.
My son in Colorado rides a Harley so a 400 or 200 won't be enough. Guess I'll just have to buy used once I get back on my feet. Wife goes nuts every time I start talking about getting back on my bikes, so I can't bring one home yet.
OR
Maybe I'll just buy an airplane.
Don't be too hasty. There are still some 18 model Burgman 650s to be had out there. The 650 will keep up with almost any type of traffic very easily for normal riding conditions. If it makes the SO happy, then it is the way to go. I miss cruise control but not much else. Get healed up and keep scanning the interweb for deals. They are out there.

The odd part about why the SO likes the 650 B over the other scooters is it has foot boards all the way to the passengers seat. Rather than the flip out fot pegs found on most all scooters. Big or small.
Spent the day looking at the new Maxi Scooter models and say that the BMW and a few Chinese brands offer passenger foot boards.
Side note, I too grew up on Vespas and Lambrettas. (Military Brat) My junior year (67-68)I rode a Lambretta and all the (cough) "Cool Kids" rode Honda Super 90's. They laughed at me for a few days until one challenged me to a drag race. He didn't understand that my 150 cc 2 stroke Lambretta was made to cruise 70 miles an hour 2 up. Poor kid didn't stand a chance. I went by him with the little front wheel up in the air and the rear fender/ license plate scraping the ground and shooting out sparks. All while I was shifting the transmission with the 4 speed twisting wrist shifter.
Wish Lambretta built new manual wrist shifting 4 stroke 250cc or bigger scooters now.

Eventually I'll get back on my feet, then the plan is to relive my childhood with the joys of a scooter and my Grandkids.

The odd part about why the SO likes the 650 B over the other scooters is it has foot boards all the way to the passengers seat. Rather than the flip out fot pegs found on most all scooters. Big or small.
Spent the day looking at the new Maxi Scooter models and say that the BMW and a few Chinese brands offer passenger foot boards.
Side note, I too grew up on Vespas and Lambrettas. (Military Brat) My junior year (67-68)I rode a Lambretta and all the (cough) "Cool Kids" rode Honda Super 90's. They laughed at me for a few days until one challenged me to a drag race. He didn't understand that my 150 cc 2 stroke Lambretta was made to cruise 70 miles an hour 2 up. Poor kid didn't stand a chance. I went by him with the little front wheel up in the air and the rear fender/ license plate scraping the ground and shooting out sparks. All while I was shifting the transmission with the 4 speed twisting wrist shifter.
Wish Lambretta built new manual wrist shifting 4 stroke 250cc or bigger scooters now.

Eventually I'll get back on my feet, then the plan is to relive my childhood with the joys of a scooter and my Grandkids.
Comfort of the passenger is important for many reasons and only some of them have to do with the motorcycle experience. The Burgman has a lot of room for the passenger. I am still using the original seat but it could be improved with more padding for you and her. You'll never have to worry about a planned or unplanned wheelie with the big burger. For it's size and weight, it is quick. Not fast but quick. Running with traffic will not be a problem. Ease of riding and the ability to go two up in comfort are things I really enjoy.

I hadn’t noticed this thread but I too joined the scooter crowd with the purchase of a Xmax. Traded a wonderful, but too heavy (for me), 2017 Yamaha S10.
FE43F1F8-9630-405C-88C4-93A15941300D.jpeg

I hadn’t noticed this thread but I too joined the scooter crowd with the purchase of a Xmax. Traded a wonderful, but too heavy (for me), 2017 Yamaha S10.
Yea, sometimes the hardest part of scootering is admitting to your buddies that you ride a scooter. Enjoy the ride.

Afterthought....
I ride a Burgman 650 as my main bike. I have a love-dislike relationship with it. I also ride a Triumph Trophy SE as my other bike. The Burgman is hands down the most practical of the two. It is as reliable as a hammer and easy to ride as it can be for me. I dislike the electric motor quietness of it but also appreciate it at times. I dislike the slower high speed acceleration abilities when cruising on the Texas highways but for the other 99.9% of the time, it does what it should. Yes, riding a "scooter" takes a different mindset but when you do most people will find they are an extremely enjoyable ride. If I wasn't doing so many highway miles, I would look into an even smaller displacement scooter.

A resurrected thread. I likes my C650 sport. I took it 2 up on a short Sat. morning ride awhile back at TX HD. Maybe I got a few odd looks, but at the end of the ride, I got more questions. Heck at 80mph, it is smoother than my F800GT.

A resurrected thread. I likes my C650 sport. I took it 2 up on a short Sat. morning ride awhile back at TX HD. Maybe I got a few odd looks, but at the end of the ride, I got more questions. Heck at 80mph, it is smoother than my F800GT.
Precisely.
I have had mine to the local HD rides and events a few times. You get some looks when you pull in. I put more miles in a year on the Burgman than most the V-Twin crowd there puts on. I see it as just another type of motorcycle. I can easily keep up with traffic and carry a few weeks worth of groceries while doing it. Yea, it's a resurrected thread but it's still about the "scooter" riding experience. Seems right to me to keep it going.

View attachment 301752
Nice scooter. I know right where that is and stop there on a lot of my rides as well.

I don't have a scooter but game to ride with another NB local, if interested.

I've ridden many a mile on two Silverwings and a Burgman 400. I took a quick sideroad down the CanAm Spyder route and decided it wasn't for me, so just bought a 2021 XMax. I'm out in northeast Texas and looking forward to some good riding up into Oklahoma and Arkansas. I think the XMax will do just fine.

Reactions: Dao
I've ridden many a mile on two Silverwings and a Burgman 400. I took a quick sideroad down the CanAm Spyder route and decided it wasn't for me, so just bought a 2021 XMax. I'm out in northeast Texas and looking forward to some good riding up into Oklahoma and Arkansas. I think the XMax will do just fine.

The Xmax is a wonderful scoot and feel, in my opinion, that Yamaha has truly created one of the best engines to ever power a two wheeler.

However, in other news, the rear suspension, for me, was hard on my back so I traded the Xmax for a Kymco AK550; much better suspension but more weight, less mpg's, and less storage.

tempImageejGMiE.jpg

My riding buddy Rick has an Xmax (300cc) and changed out the stock rear shocks. Much better for him.

We went to the Honda shop in Rockwall TX on Tuesday for lunch and they had an ADV 150. It's the first 150 I have sat on where the bump was far enough back. If the new ADV350 hits our shores, it would be mighty tempting. I was hoping to see the new Navi but it wasn't in stock.

It's the first 150 I have sat on where the bump was far enough back.

FYI my Stella feels a whole lot more roomy and bigger in the cockpit than my wife's Vino 125. The wheelbase is not really any different and the weight is very similar. I think Vespas (and their clones, like I have) are just built for bigger riders than the typical Asian designs.

Hey, we ought to have a get together somewhere to get some group photos of our scooters. Seems like a lot of folks are in the Austin area so maybe a location west of Austin? And definitely after Christmas:rider:

I have been watching scooters and really like this one Honda x-adv 750 …. I think there was one sold here a few months ago. I think they only brought them in a few years to the USA.

Attachments

• B3A5CCA3-56E3-4C00-8A5F-F7E3D545D69A.jpeg
    B3A5CCA3-56E3-4C00-8A5F-F7E3D545D69A.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 145
I have been watching scooters and really like this one Honda x-adv 750 …. I think there was one sold here a few months ago. I think they only brought them in a few years to the USA.
Not certain but I don't think these ever came to our shores by the manufacturer. I do recall seeing one sold last year or so as I recall. I read the story of how it came to be in the US. I think it would have been a good seller here. I don't recall if there was ever a reason given why it wasn't sold here. I was hopeful. It looked like a bike i would have really considered if available. Missed opportunity on the part of Honda in my opinion.

I actually joined last September. (2021). Found a Honda Helix for sale, and brought it home for $1500.00

542 original miles. It has some hanger rash, and been dropped at least once, but has been garaged since new.

And... Most importantly, does not look like it has ever been " worked on ".

20220215_135015.jpg

Back