• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I Just Had to Buy Another One - a GROM Thread

You must be quite the masochist if you think that sounds like fun...
I am planning on riding Saturday and spend the night in Bastrop. Ride to COTA on Sunday morning, enjoy the race, and ride back. What’s not fun about it?

I am planning on riding Saturday and spend the night in Bastrop. Ride to COTA on Sunday morning, enjoy the race, and ride back. What’s not fun about it?

The part where you're sitting on a mini bike that can barely break 60mph. Otherwise it sounds good.

Maybe it's just that I'm a big guy who isn't very flexible, but that wouldn't be comfortable for me. I'd also be very concerned about not being able to keep up with traffic. I could see riding one of those for short stints around a neighborhood or campground, but not going very far. Glad it works for you!

The part where you're sitting on a mini bike that can barely break 60mph. Otherwise it sounds good.

Maybe it's just that I'm a big guy who isn't very flexible, but that wouldn't be comfortable for me. I'd also be very concerned about not being able to keep up with traffic. I could see riding one of those for short stints around a neighborhood or campground, but not going very far. Glad it works for you!
Agreed!

Maybe it's just that I'm a big guy who isn't very flexible,

nevermind if "big guy" is code for "obese", but FYI I'm just shy of 6 ft with longer arms and legs than average for my height, had to do "tall" mods on my Bonneville, and I thought the ergos on a grom were plenty comfortable. WOT 10+ mph below the speed limit on those little wheels for more than a few blocks may be quite an adventure.

WOT 10+ mph below the speed limit on those little wheels for more than a few blocks may be quite an adventure.
I would think so, not to mention the buffering from traffic.

nevermind if "big guy" is code for "obese", but FYI I'm just shy of 6 ft with longer arms and legs than average for my height, had to do "tall" mods on my Bonneville, and I thought the ergos on a grom were plenty comfortable. WOT 10+ mph below the speed limit on those little wheels for more than a few blocks may be quite an adventure.

Not obese. I do have a gut, but it's not the problem. I've been on a Grom before, society briefly. My elbows and knees interfere with one another when I'm trying to turn. Couldn't manage full lock.

I got up this morning, ready to take on the city

E-h5xxpXEAIEjTX?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Here are a few numbers:

I gassed up for the second time today. 119 mpg. I did 132 miles and still had .5 gal in the tank. I paid $2.89 (Costco).

I had a quick run on 610 at the Galleria and saw 66 mph on the odometer. Allegedly. 😂 I actually passed a couple cars.

I am planning on riding later today once I’ve run all my errands.

These are great fun. I just don’t live where it makes sense. I’m in a rural area and have to get on a FM road to go anywhere. The posted limit is 60 but most are running 65+. Town is a minimum of 15 miles to anything. I work 48 miles away almost all 60-75 mph speed limit so it is near 100 miles round trip for me all at highway speed. I’m not complaining these are all choices I have made, it just make most of the small bikes, scooters and E-bikes not a practical option for me.

The part where you are in the post race traffic surrounded by lifted heavy duty pickups that can't see you and are angry with the traffic. I'd hang out a loooooong time after the event before I tried to deal with post game traffic on a Grom.

So I went back to this little place at Bagby Park and decided to try their tacos. The venue is really nice.

E_BgkW0XEAcGLYJ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

My plate may look good but the tacos really were whatever. Not very full and overpriced. I won't go back for the food for sure.

E_BgqJmXIAADXvY?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

At least I had lunch with a view

E_Bgw17XIAQBlIM?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I really wanted to put some miles on the GROM in anticipation of my Moto GP trip. I decided to go to Honda of Houston (from Midtown!).

E_B-1pAWUAIonfb?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

They had a farkled GROM with a nice Yoshi pipe. I will probably fork the money later on that one. I think the pipe looks awesome.

E_B-8rGXMAkhryb?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

From there, I wanted to stretch it out a bit and decided to make my way to Iron Supply Powersports in Katy.

E_B_D8LWQAkCxHo?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I took a really good look at that Triumph Tiger 850: not a lot of electronics or gizmos and it fits me really well. I would have to change the tires for some road biased tires as I am not a fan of the Anakee ones. Fit and finish were excellent. I need to get a test ride.

E_CA1O_WUAAU4kX?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Since I gassed up I did just over 100 miles. I will do a few more miles tomorrow morning before the rain and gas up again. I am curious as to what my gas mileage will be. I expect it to be less than the previous tank at 119 mpg.

No pic = never happened

Just kidding! :lol2:

I adjust never take pictures. I'm bad about that.

I was also at Mancuso HD across the highway. Decided to go look at a Pan Am in person. Smaller than the pictures make it look. Not suggesting is ever buy, but interesting enough to look at.

Back