• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I met Murphy on Cerro Potosi, NL, Mexico!

The principle difference between DOT 3 and DOT 4 is the boiling point. Otherwise they are compatible. Most of us probably don't ride hard enough to get it that hot, although I would certainly re-flush the system and service it it with 4 when I had the opportunity.

Nice report. I'm looking forward to being there in the fall.

Thanks.
I searched all over for mineral oil but just couldn't find it. I had considered ATF, but went with the DOT 3 instead of the DOT 4 fluid it calls for.

Most KTM of that era have Magura clutches and don't use brake fluid. I have heard of some that do. The manual sometimes conflicts with the cover on the reservoir. The general consensus is go with the info on the reservoir.

Most KTM of that era have Magura clutches and don't use brake fluid. I have heard of some that do. The manual sometimes conflicts with the cover on the reservoir. The general consensus is go with the info on the reservoir.

Yep, mine is that case in point. Cover calls for mineral oil and the manual calls for something else. The stuff I put in worked, although it made the clutch action a little stiffer than normal. It'll all get flushed out with Mineral oil and then I'll replace all the seals and wear parts.

Same with the crankcase. I'm going to dump the oil, fill it up, run it a few minutes, dump, and refill. Change the filters of course. I'm sure there's bits of cooked wood and little bits of electrical tape floating around in there, but none of that should really hurt anything unless there would have been enough to clog the filters. I don't think very much actually got into the system though.

Been down this road many times. You,ve shared your story and earned your stripes. I do think you have had previous experiences with Murphy. Perseverance is a virtue. Well done!

it was fun reading this ride report again after now riding with you chris twice. there is no doubt in my mind that whatever murphy threw at you, you would find a way back home. I'm glad we buds and have done some crazy remote rides already.

Question is when are you doing a Oct 2018 and March 2019 ride report?

Enjoyed reading this older ride report. I did the same trip as you, except for the sink hole. Looks like I need to go back!

I also went with a few dozen motorcyclists so my risk of being stranded was about zero.

it was fun reading this ride report again after now riding with you chris twice. there is no doubt in my mind that whatever murphy threw at you, you would find a way back home. I'm glad we buds and have done some crazy remote rides already.

Question is when are you doing a Oct 2018 and March 2019 ride report?

We've had a couple of awesome rides, and we're going to do more!
I just started working with a new company so I've been super busy lately. Barely have had time to even look at the bikes, much less sit down and write about them!

Enjoyed reading this older ride report. I did the same trip as you, except for the sink hole. Looks like I need to go back!

I also went with a few dozen motorcyclists so my risk of being stranded was about zero.
I haven't been back to Galeana since then, but I hope to sometime this year. There's so much to see and so many riding opportunities.

We've had a couple of awesome rides, and we're going to do more!
I just started working with a new company so I've been super busy lately. Barely have had time to even look at the bikes, much less sit down and write about them!
Yup, same here, all I've done in last 2 months is sorta wash the bike. Nothing else but I got to get ready because I got less than a month before the huasteca canyon. You ain't going still?

When did you go to galeana and who with?

Back