• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I-phone 5 panorama pic

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
last weekend I was at the DFW national cemetery to pay my respects at the funeral for SFC Stephens and decided to try out the panoramic feature of my new I-phone 5.

I bobbled badly during the pan and it shows unfortunately. what do you guys think?
197.jpg

It's a nice feature, it works much better when there are no straight lines in the foreground, or you end up with a curve in a straight road.

Here's one I took of Biscayne Bay, south of Miami:

IMG2019-XL.jpg

But be careful, if you jiggle the camera, you might end up with a tsunami:

IMG2018-XL.jpg

(crop of above picture):

IMG2018-XL.jpg

Also, moving items in a photo will mess it up, like people walking through. It works by taking several captures and stitching them together, the best way it knows. Sometimes it gets confused.

All in all, a nice feature to add to the repertoire.

That's pretty cool Leon, and from a phone? wow.

Other than your suggestion of wobble, I'd probably try to straighten the horizon just a tad and crop off the vehicles on the right and left of the image. It'd probably be a bit better if you did those two things.

Now, get out there and shoot some more!

Leon, I didn't mean to hijack your critique thread with my own photos.

I agree with Scott that some cropping on the ends would be nice.

I especially like the sky in your photo, it is very dramatic, fitting in very well with the subject of the photo.

I tried it out a bit when we were in Breckenridge and Independence Pass, it definitely requires some practice. The road bend in the Breck one is pretty funny looking.

54385_3551036105631_819783883_o.jpg

53831_3551014625094_1509856201_o.jpg

51960_3551011225009_2131174202_o.jpg

That's pretty cool Leon, and from a phone? wow.

Other than your suggestion of wobble, I'd probably try to straighten the horizon just a tad and crop off the vehicles on the right and left of the image. It'd probably be a bit better if you did those two things.

Now, get out there and shoot some more!

I realy want to try it on UP844 when it comes into town Tuesday but I know I will have to shoot a bunch of people to get a clear panoramic picture off the train. :shooter:

Leon, I didn't mean to hijack your critique thread with my own photos.

I agree with Scott that some cropping on the ends would be nice.

I especially like the sky in your photo, it is very dramatic, fitting in very well with the subject of the photo.

the sky was the main reason I took the picture, strange yet really cool rolling clouds. like gentle waves on a pond

The iPhone (and many of the other smartphones) are turning rather impressive shots these days.

I still have a hard time using my phone for anything besides "Quick, I need a shot of that!" or snapping pics of details I"m too lazy to write down or remember.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the quality of phone pics get very close to that of DSLRs in a few years.

As always, phones lose their game in low light, but Philip's shot shows they can and do take shots with low light.

Without your mention and George's "tsunami" I would not have found your bobble. Great pic, amazing.

Back