• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I see that in Spain and in Europe overall, it is common to do RALLY events - some non competitive for fun- Why is rally not common in Texas? or is it?

They are popular to attend, but apparently not to organize and run ;-)

Finding people willing to step up and do the leg work to make them happen is often a problem.

That said, if you look through the Upcoming rides/trips section, there are quite a few things going on, just not big massive rallies with several hundred riders attending.

How about describing what you think of as a typical rally? What does it include? How is it organized? What is there to do? What size are they? etc...?

Then there are just the big "come show off your bike and be seen rallies", like the Lone Star Rally in Galveston and the Republic of Texas Rally in Austin.

I am talking about Rally with a roadbook, check points, electronic tagging, etc.

Most of that kind of rally is dirt oriented here. I don't know about street rallies that use that kind of format. The closest thing I can think of is the Iron Butt events, but I dno't think they have checkpoints/tagging.

Some car clubs do time-speed-distance rallies. Sports Car Club of America is one of them. There is not a huge following of participants, but those that do are devoted and competitive. The objective is accuracy, not speed. Competitors cover the course at prescribed speeds to arrive at checkpoints at the proper elapsed time which is unknown. SCCA calls these Road Rally events (not to be mistaken for Pro Rally events)
I have not seen similar events for motorcycles.

Some car clubs do time-speed-distance rallies. Sports Car Club of America is one of them. There is not a huge following of participants, but those that do are devoted and competitive. The objective is accuracy, not speed. Competitors cover the course at prescribed speeds to arrive at checkpoints at the proper elapsed time which is unknown. SCCA calls these Road Rally events (not to be mistaken for Pro Rally events)
I have not seen similar events for motorcycles.

That’s a neat concept. Could be adapted to long distance m/c riding.

That’s a neat concept. Could be adapted to long distance m/c riding.
There is one moto rally (at least) that follows this concept but I can't remember who runs it at the moment. I think it's upper mid-west or possibly in Canada, but there may be more.

Most moto rallies (long distance types) are more along the lines of scavenger hunts, although some do also have check points.

That sounds pretty much exactly like off road enduro used to be before they redesigned it to restart format.

Doing a car rally in kerrville in may for vintage cars. Driving a 60s Rivera.

They are still popular with BMW motorcycle riders. The big one for the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America (this year in Lebanon TN) is an equal camping/hoteling rally. Music, Vendors, Food, Beer Tent and the whole enchilada.

Many of the others are camping based. My favorites are the Top of the Rockies Rally in Paonia CO. You can camp in the city park in Paonia.
Another is commonly called the Sipapu rally. The Bavarian Mountain Weekend put on by the Land of Enchantment BMW club is a camping based rally at the Sipapu Ski Resort in New Mexico near Taos.
Texas has a couple, the Hill Country Hangout in Kerrville and the Texas National in Jacksonville TX. Not as big as the ROT or Sturgis, they have their own specialty if you are a bike camper.
There are many more like the Rich Mountain Rendezvous that you see here on TWT, that evolved from a BMW Chain Gang Rally.

Check out what's going on.... https://www.bmwmoa.org/events/event_list.asp

And you don't have to have a BMW to join in the fun! I used to go to many BMW rallies on my Honda Shadow 1100. Didn't even own a BMW! Ha!

SS

There use to be the annual Honda Hoot rally, usually somewhere on the Eastern side of the country.

There used to be numerous Honda Sport Touring Association rallies all over the country.

There are numerous ST1100/1300 rallies -- see https://www.st-owners.com/forums/

KTM is doing a big adventure rally in Colorado in September.

BMW had the Cowboy Curves annual rally.

I am sure there are many more.

So the Honda Sport Touring Association changed their name a long time ago. I forgot about that. Having joined when they had a Honda, many members did not want to leave the organization when they eventually bought other brands of bikes. So they eventually decided to change it.

I am talking about Rally with a roadbook, check points, electronic tagging, etc.

Aahhh, a Rally Race! I only know a few "real" ones in North America: the Baja Rally and the Sonora Rally are the biggies and, as you can figure out easily, they're both in our neighboring country to the south. You can likely find out anything you want to know about them in the Racing Forum at www.advrider.com. A Rally Race is a LOT of work for the organizers.

Why not in Texas or other parts of the US? Private land and/or public land essentially locked by bureaucrats/Greenies.

Last edited:
Aahhh, a Rally Race! I only know a few "real" ones in North America: the Baja Rally and the Sonora Rally are the biggies and, as you can figure out easily, they're both in our neighboring country to the south. You can likely find out anything you want to know about them in the Racing Forum at www.advrider.com. A Rally Race is a LOT of work for the organizers.

Why not in Texas or other parts of the US? Private land and/or public land essentially locked by bureaucrats/Greenies.
I have a feeling original poster is talking more about this type event!

That was my first though like a Rally Raid. Generally a flat out race over public areas. Subaru WRX and Lancia kind of stuff. The wife and I were watching outtakes on YouTube the other night. Most of the SCORE racing in Texas is held on a couple of ranches in the Midland area.

Would absolutely love a Texas motorcycle rally race. My definition may be different than yours (I am more in line with the Baja from SCORE racing). There is a place outside of Austin where you can participate / drive / learn four wheel rally racing. Rally Ready

Would absolutely love a Texas motorcycle rally race. My definition may be different than yours (I am more in line with the Baja from SCORE racing). There is a place outside of Austin where you can participate / drive / learn four wheel rally racing. Rally Ready
Yes, TORCS has raced there the last 2 years.

Back