• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I went to FedEx freight today

I've never seen the trials areas at Gilmer but have several friends that ride there. That said I ride at least once or twice a week at RR and have seen many of the trials courses. They can get really Gnarly. The trials club actually has their own parking spot that is gated. Pretty cool. I've been looking at a trials bike but with 6 bikes in the garage I'm thinking one has to go. The Harley is on the blocks.

I've been looking at a trials bike but with 6 bikes in the garage I'm thinking one has to go. The Harley is on the blocks.

7 is a magic number.

...and between tax returns and the weather being nicer that Harley should sell quickly. :-)

I was looking for a longrider several years back , ended up with a 450 RR Beta , after a got the suspension sorted it has been the most awesome dirt bike I ever owned . I rode trials in the 70s and did ok . That little bit of riding did wonders for my riding skills improvement . The problum is I see stuff now days and think yea , no problum then have to stop and think that was 25 years ago . I do find myself in over my head on occasion but the Beta says no sweat letā€™s go . The suspension issues were not a Beta problum , it had been tampered with before I acquired it .

Yes, you are correct. That's her. Nice lady to do business with. She even sent me a bunch of info on TX trials events.

Here's a shot from 3/30/19. So far I've just done a bunch of back-yard practice and a bit of playing at Barnwell.

IMG_7895-X2.png

Yes, you are correct. That's her. Nice lady to do business with. She even sent me a bunch of info on TX trials events.

Here's a shot from 3/30/19. So far I've just done a bunch of back-yard practice and a bit of playing at Barnwell.

View attachment 230999

I've never met Laura, but we all know Ray from riding w/ him out in city park and trials competitions. He used to put on trials training classes at City Park 2x a yr. I attended a couple of his classes, and Ray (left) taught my then 12 yr old son (middle) trials techniques geared towards competing. Don (right) was our Trials club president back then. Those were the good ol' days....

Did the seller tell you what type of fuel and premix to use in that sweet bike?
also, when you go to practice figure 8's, at first, it's a natural reaction to use the brakes to control the bike through the S turns, but the goal is to do figure 8's w/o any braking. That's how Ray Peters taught it.

Last edited:
Did the seller tell you what type of fuel and premix to use in that sweet bike?
also, when you go to practice figure 8's, at first, it's a natural reaction to use the brakes to control the bike through the S turns, but the goal is to do figure 8's w/o any braking. That's how Ray Peters taught it.

80:1 Motul. She even included a new bottle and a liter of crankcase oil.

Thanks for the tips on Figure 8's. I'll make sure to focus on that. Keep the tips coming!

I saw this and had a few good laughs. Enjoy.

How do you use the clutch and how do you feel while riding trials?

Rookie: What's a clutch? I really don't know what I'm doing but it seems like fun.

Novice: I pull the clutch in to start the bike and let it out to go fast. My clutch is that twisted piece of metal loosely hanging off the left handlebar that is pointing almost straight down. I'm just having fun.

Amateur: In a section I might pull the clutch in to prevent the bike from stalling. Once or twice a year I have to use the clutch to nervously shift into second gear for a big hill climb that the !@#$%^& trials master put in the middle of the section and I usually end up taking a wrong-side dab when I do that. Honestly, most times I'm scared.

Senior Amateur: I use the clutch to control my speed and smoothly ride near full lock turns. I am older but I can still ride as smooth as ever and can turn better than most afternoon riders. Dude, I'm groovy man.

Intermediate: I have to constantly re-position the clutch lever and perch as it gets tweaked hourly due to severe ground contact. I break unbreakable levers. After many months of experience and practice I am able to combine the use of the throttle and the clutch to build some momentum in the flywheel prior to riding larger obstacles and use that momentum to start to get to the top of them. Mostly, I'm frustrated and oftentimes I consider taking up golf.

Senior Expert: Clutches are for kids. I'm "oversprung" and ride bikes with the most torque I can find. Life has caught up with me and the older I get the better I was.

Expert: I can slip the clutch 10 percent, 20 percent, 30 percent or more combined with 1/2 - 3/4 throttle to get over, around or through obstacles, I can pop it to clear small gaps. I can jump the rear tire to the top of decent sized obstacles. I think I'm cool therefore I am.

Master: The clutch is my throttle and I use it to make the bike do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it. I can slip it or pop it, zap it or splat it. I can do it all no problem. I'm a rock star.

Pro: My clutch and my bike exist solely for me to abuse them. My sponsor will buy me new stuff when I wreck it and my mechanic will polish it to make it look good. I'll slip, pop and jump over insanely large obstacles and maybe scream at myself if I come up even just a little bit short. I'll have a 100+ point ride on Saturday and wear it as a badge of honor only to come back on Sunday to try again. My bikes may get broken but my spirit never dies, I am a warrior.

World: Clutch in I can hold the throttle wide open, seemingly forever revving the bike to the moon, with the bike in 3rd gear and whilst smiling for my adoring fans, I'll pop the clutch and fly the bike up an 8 foot vertical wall with no run or kicker. Quickly at the top, I'll stop and wave to my screaming fans, take a sip of my sponsor's beverage and then ride a wheelie in a circle wearing a happy face because I'm getting paid a Sprinter Van load of money to ride motorcycles. I am a trials God.

Author: Mike Cramsey
Published May 2012 - Trials and Enduro News (thanks Shan!)
NEOTT.COM

Back