• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I would be rich if it were not for Motorcycles

I am rich expressly because of motorcycles.

edit- I posted without reading any of the posts, just the title, and it appears my thoughts have been spoken before me!

Impressive list for sure. I bet as equally fun to experience

I'd just spend more money on guns or scotch...
I can vibe with this sentiment here. If I'm not spending $ on motorcycle stuff, it's going to my truck, or guns, or other recreation...kayak..fishing..camping.. who knows.

I think you guys get it, that money is tool to move us along through life. However our riches come from the journey along the way.

The addiction is real. I’ve come to the conclusion that the “right” bike is always the next. I suppose we could be addicted to worse things though. In 17 years of riding, to all the girls I’ve loved before, and can still remember.
  1. ‘96 GS 500
  2. ‘02 GSXR 1000
  3. ‘03 636
  4. ‘04 KX 250
  5. ‘04 ZX-10R
  6. ‘91 Katana 600
  7. ‘06 636
  8. ‘08 CBR 600RR
  9. ‘11 S1000RR
  10. ‘12 Street Triple R
  11. ‘02 SV650
  12. ‘14 Tuono
  13. ‘14 Grom
  14. ‘86 FA50
  15. ‘15 Grom
  16. ‘16 R1200GSA
  17. ‘17 959 Panigale
  18. ‘12 Street Triple R
  19. ‘70 CB 350
  20. ‘19 KTM 690 SMC-R
  21. ‘17 CBR 1000RR
  22. ‘18 GSXR 750
  23. ‘02 R6
  24. ‘04 GSXR 600
  25. '19 Hayabusa
  26. '17 CBR 600RR
  27. '19 Z900RS
  28. ’18 N400
  29. ’19 N636

Last edited:
Either you guys have owned a LOT of bikes at one time, or you flip them as fast as @Jarrett :lol2:

I've been following this thread thinking that some of you are a little bit bitten, then I counted my own. In 7 years since returning to riding, I've had 12 bikes, with 3 in the stable now.

TTR225, KLR650, NC700X, VStar1300, generic pit bike, Reflex 250, XR80, 08 XT250, Super Tenere, 13 XT250, G310GS, Wee Strom

Reasons I've sold bikes include bad ergonomics for me, and wife no longer rides (no need for 2-up ability). Reasons I chose the new ones are: I get fixated on the new shiny, my riding style changes.

Most importantly, and in line with the "getting rich" theme here, riding has been an incredible bond with my youngest, who's now going off to college. So many memories together are secured, and I imagine it will be a strong excuse to stay close in the future as well. I've made some good friends here too. Cheers to you all.

I've been following this thread thinking that some of you are a little bit bitten....

Well in my case, 47 yrs, 48 bikes (46 yrs if you take away the year without a bike) that is only 1.02 bikes per year or so. I think it is a nice balance. Sad part is that I will probably buy more in the future.....and sell some.

I've been riding for a while. When my son turned 4 I bought a used CR 60 and restored it. Having a clutch it was Not the best 1st bike,...so in came the PW 50.
Next was:
PW80
KDX 80
CR 80 (2) 12 yr old
RM 80
KTM 200
CR 125 (2)
KTM 125 (4)
College
He started racing when he was 12 as I wouldn't let him before that age. I took him to an off road race at Red River thinking he would follow in dad's footsteps and race in the woods. He broke his hand and told me that either I take him to the motocross track or sell his bike. He hated the woods. I was Devastated as well as petrified of MOTOCROSS! He and I began riding and racing MX when he was 12 and I was 40. He did well, wining several amateur championships in the 80 class and 125 class. Me, I survived and learned to do those doubles, but was still puckered up like a dried peach seed. Now, he's grown and on his own. My take-away from all of this is that we spent so many wonderful weekends together. It was all about him (my son). I spent a ton of money until he finally got sponsors, but it was the greatest time in my life. My son never got into drugs or the wrong crowd. He's now 33 married with 2 kids (my grandsons) and I quit counting and buying. (sort-of)
If I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a thing, not One Dam Thing!

Wow, a bike a year. There are a lot worse habits in this world we could really destroy our lives on besides m.c.'s

I've ridden most of my 60 year life, but I'm gonna narrow the focus a bit ...

In the last 5 years and in no particular order ...

1. 07 VTX1800
  2. 09 R1200RT
  3. 07 R1200GS
  4. 99 Voyager 12
  5. 00 DRZ400
  6. 01 DRZ400
  7. 09 XR650L
  8. 10 XR650L
  9. 12 XR650L
  10. 15 500 EXC
  11. 82 CB750SS*
  12. 16 1290 SA*
  13. 05 1800 Goldwing*
  14. 07 1250 Bandit*
  15. 05 Vstrom 1000
  16. 07 Vstrom 1000
  17. 09 Vstrom 1000
  18. ?? Vstrom 650

* = currently in my shop

When I purchased my third XR650L, the lady at the DMV asked if I had a dealer's license and I said no.
She said I should look into it ...

Not sure if it was a warning or editorial comment.

If you buy the right one the first time you don’t have to buy all those wrong ones my second road bike was the right one , my fourth dirt bike was right and my first adventure bike was right , I still have all three and am riding one or another just like the original . I’ve had a total of 21 bikes plus two acquired for my kids and one for G kid that I did not include in my count because I did not buy them for me . 9 of those are still in my shop though one needs to go away . Six I bought new and I still have two of those , as I’m counting up all this in my head I compleatly forgot the two gold wings , I guess you can figure out what I thought of them . Cost of all 21 is well under a years wages , and maintaince cost is probly well under 3 % of the purchase price of all of them , since I do almost all myself . Probly the most expensive repair was to have the front forks rebuilt by a professional because somebody before me let racetech screw with the Beta front forks and they were screwed , one of the valves was in upside down . My most expensive maintaince is tires . The most dissapointing bikes I’ve owned have been hondas .

My first bike was a Penton trials bike , and the TL250 honda was probly the longest honda that I’ve kept around . It was a great putt around bike but a major failure as a trials bike .

Last edited:
This thread certainly made me feel a little better. I'm not sure if it makes me more sane or that I'm just in the presence of equally crazy people.

I tell people since I didn't start riding motorcycles when I was a kid, I'm having to play catch up now in my later years.

In my 15 months of riding I've had 7 bikes, although I guess I could claim 6 on a technicality:

Gone:
2014 CRF250L
2018 KLR650
2016 Africa Twin DCT (first bike)

Have:
2016 VFR1200X DCT
2019 Zero FX
2019 Zero DSR

Daughter's:
2012 NC700X DCT

Other past obsessions include owning 16 bicycles in the last 6 years, 10+ jet skis in the past 15 years and I've literally lost track of the ridiculous amounts of musical instruments I've owned in the last 37 years. It's so bad that I'll be digging through a closet looking for something and find a guitar I didn't realize I still had.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it sounds like you live a rich life because of motorcycles. Money doesn't always buy adventure!

If you buy the right one the first time you don’t have to buy all those wrong ones

None on my list were wrong.

I can't imagine being one and done.
How boring .... but, everyone's skirt gets blown up from different directions.

Meh, I'm still just a rookie...started riding back in 1963 or 1964 and have owned 14 bikes over the years and currently have three that are all ridden at least once a week or more. :rider:

Willy Wonka said, "One is enough for anyone." Of course he was talking about ever-lasting-gobstoppers, so there's that....

I tour and camp (FZ10). I ride Jeep trails, sometimes riding double with my wife DRZ400. I ride dirt trails where the cc limitation is 65cc 2T and 200cc 4T (KLR140). I do track days FZ10 and Superhawk). My wife likes riding pillion on a scooter (Burgman 650). I like to ride an extreme sport bike every once in a while (I raced TMGP for 28 years and quit a year ago. I raced CMRA off and on for 35 years and quit 2 years ago. (I did not include shared endurance bikes on my list) All that takes lots of bikes. The shortest I have owned a bike is about a week when I bought a BSA Victor from a Marine leaving Hawaii. I was going to use it as a motocross bike but a Maico 250 became available and I jumped on it. I put 55,000 miles on my 850 Yamaha, but I only owned it for 2 years.

Back