• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

IBA - Big As Texas

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
I leave about 2 am AZ time on Wednesday morning. Destination Allen TX. Distance is 1,067. I should arrive by 10 pm CST unless the weather is really, really bad.

I'll be in seminars on Thursday, and then the 1,000 mile rally starts at 0600 on Friday.

Sat tracker links are at: https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=Texas+T

Look for the 2018 IBA - Texas link for the full trip.

Look for the 2018 IBA Rally - Texas link for just the 24 hour rally on Fri/Sat.

The hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn, 705 Central Expressway S, Allen if anyone wants to swing by and look at lots of well-farkled bikes. There should be a lot of them sitting in the parking lot on Thursday and Saturday.

This is the route. Leaving Allen at 0600 on Friday and riding CLOCKWISE:
43788828_10212136960969043_2051642195819102208_n.jpg

I like the way Texas T casually does a long distance ride to get to the long distance ride and then maybe one or two more before he gets home.

The rain is causing a LOT of road closures.

https://drivetexas.org/

More are being closed as the day goes on... You may want to double check your route before heading out.

The rain is causing a LOT of road closures.

https://drivetexas.org/

More are being closed as the day goes on... You may want to double check your route before heading out.

Thank you. Shutting down the laptop now. It will be daylight when I hit TX, but nothing right now is affected by flooding on I-20. I'll check the site again if it looks dicey.

I'll also make a judgment call Thursday night on whether or not I'll ride the rally depending upon rainfall, flooding, fog, etc. I don't need the certificate that bad. :sun:

Maybe I'll just ride down to Houston and have some BBQ with friends. :eat:

I like the way Texas T casually does a long distance ride to get to the long distance ride and then maybe one or two more before he gets home.

That's really common for IBA events, frequently you'll hear them rattle off a list of folks who did SS1k or BB1.5k-qualifying rides on the way there. I'm nothing but envious of their stamina.

The ride here sucked. Major suckage. Ugh.

21.5 hours to do a 1,070 mile ride all on Interstates. I should have been done in 18 hours, maybe even 17.

The rain began at Van Horn and lasted all the way to Weatherford. By the time I got to DFW airport the roads were fairly dry and I could ride with my visor open, and the temps got up into the mid-50s. The temps for most of the trip were 45-48, with a couple of bumps up to 52, and a low of 39 that I saw east of Benson AZ.

Anyhow, I had about 7 hours of sleep Monday night, but I was up at 0430 Tuesday. I was in bed at 6 pm on Tuesday to try to grab some rest, but any of you that have done rides like this may have the same issue that I do... anticipation. And I just couldn't sleep. I probably got 3-4 hours of sleep Tuesday night and then I was up at 11:55 pm Tuesday night to pack, load, and hit the road.

Once I got to the hotel in Dallas about 0030 Thursday morning I only managed to get about 6 hours of sleep so I'm really behind on my sleep deficit. I'm heading to bed pretty soon to hit breakfast at 0530 BUT the good news is that I don't have to ride the Rally route tomorrow. I can do it at another time. So the plan is to be back in April for the start of the next year's Tour Of Honor and include those sites in a week of riding along with doing this route.

Yay.

Last edited:
Back