• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

IBA Winter Solstice Ride

Splash

User's account inactive by request
Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Harkins
Anybody doing a IBA Ride Monday?

I'm not. A friend is... Apache Junction to Kingman to Barstow to Lake Havasu, Yuma, Casa Grande, back to AJ.

Last edited:
I’m probably going to ride tomorrow. However, I sorta feel like l’m trying to get sick, thinking it is allergies. As you know, the IBA has 4 rides for the solstice and equinox dates and if you get them all, you get a 5th certificate for doing the series. However, it’s been pointed out to me that to receive the 5th certificate, all 4 rides have to be the same type. All saddlesores , BB, BBG and so forth. My only equinox ride was a BBG. I’m not sure I’m feeling up to another tomorrow. We’ll see, lol.

Hope to head out for a ride tomorrow. Going to be cold and dark, perfect for seeing the Christmas Star.

I took a couple of photos last night with my cell phone of Jupiter / Saturn. It was neat to see.

My suggestion is to make this a SS and then do the rest of them as SSs as well. Far easier than trying to do three more BBGs. But, if you're up to the challenge...

I hear you T. Time’s getting short, I need to ride the hard rides. Heck I’m not sure about doing a Saddlesore, even with heated gear it just seems colder on my old bones.

BTW, MERRY CHRISTMAS all you Buckaroos and Buckarettes.

Giddy Up

I made a successful BBG ride but barely. I haven’t checked the exact time of my start and finish receipts but I’m pretty sure I finished with less than 30 minutes on the clock. A big thanks to Dan Duvall. His phone call in the wee morning hours, his words of encouragement, helped me fight through my struggle and make it to the finish line.

Dan and I met during the 2019 BAT Party in Denison. He was pretty new to long distance riding. However, like a duck taking to water, he took to distance riding. His riding skills did not go un-noticed by the IBA Honchos. So much so, my friend Dan was invited to participate in the 2021 IBA Rally. What’s unusual is , to my knowledge, Dan has never ridden a single rally, yet he’s going to ride in the Big Dance. I’m so proud to call Dan my friend.

I’m probably going to ride tomorrow. However, I sorta feel like l’m trying to get sick, thinking it is allergies. As you know, the IBA has 4 rides for the solstice and equinox dates and if you get them all, you get a 5th certificate for doing the series. However, it’s been pointed out to me that to receive the 5th certificate, all 4 rides have to be the same type. All saddlesores , BB, BBG and so forth. My only equinox ride was a BBG. I’m not sure I’m feeling up to another tomorrow. We’ll see, lol.
The good news is now you have 2 of the 4 season rides done with a BBG... the bad news is you need to do 2 more BBG’s on the spring and summer to get the 5th... lol

I made a successful BBG ride but barely. I haven’t checked the exact time of my start and finish receipts but I’m pretty sure I finished with less than 30 minutes on the clock. A big thanks to Dan Duvall. His phone call in the wee morning hours, his words of encouragement, helped me fight through my struggle and make it to the finish line.

Dan and I met during the 2019 BAT Party in Denison. He was pretty new to long distance riding. However, like a duck taking to water, he took to distance riding. His riding skills did not go un-noticed by the IBA Honchos. So much so, my friend Dan was invited to participate in the 2021 IBA Rally. What’s unusual is , to my knowledge, Dan has never ridden a single rally, yet he’s going to ride in the Big Dance. I’m so proud to call Dan my friend.
I am proud to call you my friend as well and congratulations on your successful BBG! I always enjoy talking with you also. Your knowledge of Texas makes for some good stories me being able to point out to you that you are in Duval County Texas made for a good laugh... now when is the next snake roundup in Sweetwater?

Springtime in Texas, a time of renewal, unmatched beauty of the wildflowers, and of course, some truly bad*** thunderstorms. Perfect.

Summer in Texas, a time to consider renting out Texas and moving to ****, ‘cause it has to be cooler. But fret not for this old man, forget not, I designed and tested an onboard personal cooling system last summer. 100s feel like 80s.

And splash is my friend who did not think he would rid3 100 miles for breakfast!
well done ol son

Congrats Tim, I'm glad you made it. My local friend did his SS1k on a Valkyrie and was very glad he had all his heated gear with him as he said it was very cold in the Wickenburg to Kingman section.

Dan, congrats on getting invited to to the IBR. As Tim said, getting in without any rally experience is quite a feat so I wish you well.

Stay tuned. I have a few rides coming up.

A week from today I’m headed to the Iron Butt Association Daytona Bike Week Party. It’s a easy SS1000 from my home, but that seems a bit boring. So the question is, what route will I take to Jacksonville, Fl to make the ride in a bit more entertaining? Y’all will have to wait to see.

On the 19th of March, I will attempt another BBG, 1500 miles in 24 hours for the Spring Equinox. My Winter Solstice was SO MUCH FUN 😂.

In April, I’m headed back to the Heart of Texas Rally. As it was pointed out, I did so well in the 30 hour version 🤣 I decided to up the ante and dominate the 4 day version. I still have no clue how to do rally routing with all the fancy computer programs. How bad can I do again using my tried and true method of a map and crayons?
EAF398A3-8EBA-44FC-8F97-43D434E7749B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back