• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ID Race car model

erd

Reaction score
I found this in my box of toys. It looked like a #8 Texas race car (Can Am)? Of some sort. Anyone know what this is?

a014f7d48c80ab89c1031b15b65f45ea.jpg
4ce5920278512d18a4bb7b19a6255a82.jpg
78351f633c83252162a16f51d834fb2a.jpg

There was a Can Am race series in the early 70s , road course cars . First race at the Texas world speedway in Bryan was that series and I was there . In 68 or 69 I think

Wow! Thanks for the background info. I google’d Bill Rand Racing in Plano and all the hits were for a William Rand sentencing for fraud. I wonder if he is the same Bill Rand...

This scale model I have was really detailed. A closer examination noted that all the decals, including the Dunlop logo on the tires matched exactly to the real race car!

Wow! Thanks for the background info. I google’d Bill Rand Racing in Plano and all the hits were for a William Rand sentencing for fraud. I wonder if he is the same Bill Rand...

This scale model I have was really detailed. A closer examination noted that all the decals, including the Dunlop logo on the tires matched exactly to the real race car!

It was a fun little google treasure hunt. :thumb:

Any one want this bad boy? Free to good home. Pickup only in Plano!

It is the same Bill Rand. I don't know about "arrest", but the legal documents I saw look like a lawsuit. When you consider the amount of money, backing, and legal issues involved in big time racing at this level, it's not unusual for parties to get their shorts in a wad either legitimately or just hurt feelings over the money issues. The main court document I looked at apparently involves a suit that started or ended in CA.

Most all searches I found trying to see a clear explanation of the suit yielded Senator Rand Paul's involvement in the stupid "anti-lynching" bill that he correctly fought not long ago and foolish, agenda driven people trying to claim Rand Paul is therefore "for" or protecting lynching. What a joke. Anyway, on the Bill Rand lawsuit, it looks like some kind of business dispute in and over Rand Racing. If someone found more detail it would be interesting to see what that was about. It may have effectively ended the racing effort that peaked in 2002 and seems to have ended in 2004.

It looked like the Rand family in Plano was involved in some shady oil
well drilling investment scams. Most of the Rand family members ended up in jail, including Bill.

I ended up giving this away this car model to the guy who bought my lot of motorcycle models/diecasts.

It looked like the Rand family in Plano was involved in some shady oil
well drilling investment scams. Most of the Rand family members ended up in jail, including Bill.

I ended up giving this away this car model to the guy who bought my lot of motorcycle models/diecasts.
Well, you gotta pay for them expensive race cars somehow...LOL!:lol2:

Back