• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Idaho BDR June 12 - June 27 2020

We are in Trinidad tonight at camp Quality Inn. I have gone 3 days without a shower.....and have dug three holes in the woods. anybody want to give me a hug [emoji23]

Here is the after action report. We are talking about gear and bikes. We recorded it while on bear tooth.

Did you download the BDR track into copilot?

No I have all my tracks in Guru. That is the only one I trust on the trail.

I use copilot to plan a quick route each day from point a to point b.

Duke was using a Garmin but it got confused on section 8 of the BDR. So my trusted iPhone took over.

Every trip I have ever been on always has one common problem....Garmin[emoji2959]

Red Lodge huh? I'm about to be headed that direction, we can maybe high five as we pass one another.

The koa north of town is great. I sat with some guys on Harleys from Kansa City for two hours at camp. They gave me beers and picked my brain about adventure riding and camping. They are bored riding just street.

There is a brewery 3 miles south toward red lodge. Get the Shandy and a great sandwich.

Camped 2 nights ago in Arapahoe forest north of Granby CO. 9000 ft and 31 degrees.

Tonight we got shut out of Copper Breaks Stare Park, so I found another camp site.

Truscott Brine lake outside of Crowell texas about 20 miles and a 2 mile gravel road. This is my new go to spot when heading north west!

We got steaks to cook here in a little bit

cc00b75ec65885a769152660baf4ee21.jpg

Camped 2 nights ago in Arapahoe forest north of Granby CO. 9000 ft and 31 degrees.

Tonight we got shut out of Copper Breaks Stare Park, so I found another camp site.

Truscott Brine lake outside of Crowell texas about 20 miles and a 2 mile gravel road. This is my new go to spot when heading north west!

We got steaks to cook here in a little bit

View attachment 267220
It's not a misterk camp without steaks.

Sent from my Moto X4 using Tapatalk

In what ways was it the most difficult? And why was it the best?

Randy and Gina are making me splain myself [emoji23]

Hardest: This was the longest contiguous mountain dirt tour I had ever done, some days 100+ miles and the dirt never let you take a break. I still can’t believe my bike survived with no damage. I would check my rims every evening thinking surely I bent a rim.

Then it is find provisions, set up camp and rinse and repeat. Awesome and hard at the same time.

The first four days was difficult with 7 bikes and 7 personalities. Also knowing we are 7x more likely to end up in a bike repair or rescue mission. When it thinned down to Duke and I, the stress went away.

Best: Idaho is just awesome and beautiful. The rivers and mountains are incredible. The different people you meet at camp and other stops. Idaho kind of reminds me of Colorado 30 years ago, not much people.

There is a great deal of satisfaction from this type of trip. riding my motorcycle 1000s of miles from home, being self sufficient regarding camping and food. I also find comfort in knowing I am able to fix my bike in the event of a non critical failure.

The top thing I liked was getting on my motorcycle every morning for 2 weeks with nothing On the agenda but ride my motorcycle.

Camping to me is freedom because I never have to worry about finding a hotel and being stuck inside. I can just ride and stop anytime anywhere.

Those are very interesting observations. The daily agenda of riding, being self-sufficient many miles from home, flexibility to stop just about anywhere for the night... All of this really resonates with me and I'm looking to increase that type of experience for myself. I suspect those who are not wandering souls wouldn't understand as well. Thanks for letting us twist your arm. [emoji16]

Randy and Gina are making me splain myself [emoji23]

Hardest: This was the longest contiguous mountain dirt tour I had ever done, some days 100+ miles and the dirt never let you take a break. I still can’t believe my bike survived with no damage. I would check my rims every evening thinking surely I bent a rim.

Then it is find provisions, set up camp and rinse and repeat. Awesome and hard at the same time.

The first four days was difficult with 7 bikes and 7 personalities. Also knowing we are 7x more likely to end up in a bike repair or rescue mission. When it thinned down to Duke and I, the stress went away.

Best: Idaho is just awesome and beautiful. The rivers and mountains are incredible. The different people you meet at camp and other stops. Idaho kind of reminds me of Colorado 30 years ago, not much people.

There is a great deal of satisfaction from this type of trip. riding my motorcycle 1000s of miles from home, being self sufficient regarding camping and food. I also find comfort in knowing I am able to fix my bike in the event of a non critical failure.

The top thing I liked was getting on my motorcycle every morning for 2 weeks with nothing On the agenda but ride my motorcycle.

Camping to me is freedom because I never have to worry about finding a hotel and being stuck inside. I can just ride and stop anytime anywhere.
So since my Alaska trip is pretty much looking like a no go this year due to the boarder shut down what are your thought on doing the Idaho bdr solo on a Tenere. Is there parts of it I can do safely alone and parts I should absolutely avoid alone? I rode a lot of back roads up there last year and a lot of highway so am somewhat familiar with the remoteness of Idaho and the lack of cell service. All this depends on getting the Tenere back on the road after a major engine failure last week at 18k miles.

I especially like how you took the time to produce the videos. That had to have been a pain in the butt while in route. Riding hundreds of miles a day, then having to fool around with the video, ugh. I know you wouldn't have done it if you didn't want to, fantastic job Misterk !

I especially like how you took the time to produce the videos. That had to have been a pain in the butt while in route. Riding hundreds of miles a day, then having to fool around with the video, ugh. I know you wouldn't have done it if you didn't want to, fantastic job Misterk !

Very nice! Thank you

So since my Alaska trip is pretty much looking like a no go this year due to the boarder shut down what are your thought on doing the Idaho bdr solo on a Tenere. Is there parts of it I can do safely alone and parts I should absolutely avoid alone? I rode a lot of back roads up there last year and a lot of highway so am somewhat familiar with the remoteness of Idaho and the lack of cell service. All this depends on getting the Tenere back on the road after a major engine failure last week at 18k miles.

Stick with the BDR route, don’t take side roads. We went early, but by July and August it should be a pretty busy trail. If you get in a bind, someone will probably be along shortly.

Tenere will do it just fine if you are a good rider and have upgraded your suspension.

I am going back next July (2nd week) to cover the parts from loeman to Avery.

Stick with the BDR route, don’t take side roads. We went early, but by July and August it should be a pretty busy trail. If you get in a bind, someone will probably be along shortly.

Tenere will do it just fine if you are a good rider and have upgraded your suspension.

I am going back next July (2nd week) to cover the parts from loeman to Avery.
I’ll be up there the third week till the last of August if my Tenere is back on the road. Other wise I’ll be just camping with the toy hauler and the bike will be in Texas waiting for parts.
The motor crawled out this last week. Kind of glad I was not on my way to Alaska she hit happened.
Since your return trip will be just before I head north, keep us posted on the trail conditions. I’m not worried about the trail bit going down by your self with no help is not exactly something this old fart wants to deal with. It’s always better to have help.
ThNks for video taping the trip. Later in the summer it should be dryer and more opened up to traffic.

I’ll be up there the third week till the last of August if my Tenere is back on the road. Other wise I’ll be just camping with the toy hauler and the bike will be in Texas waiting for parts.
The motor crawled out this last week. Kind of glad I was not on my way to Alaska she hit happened.
Since your return trip will be just before I head north, keep us posted on the trail conditions. I’m not worried about the trail bit going down by your self with no help is not exactly something this old fart wants to deal with. It’s always better to have help.
ThNks for video taping the trip. Later in the summer it should be dryer and more opened up to traffic.

What happened to your motor? Those Teneres are bullet proof?

What happened to your motor? Those Teneres are bullet proof?
It developed a rod knock on a slacker run last Wednesday. I’m looking for a transplant motor. There is no obvious reason for it. It’s had 3,500 mile oil changes with synthetic oil and Iv only hit the rev limiter a couple times.
This is my second one and it’s always had a slight rattle at the top end of the rpm range as I shifted gears. I thought it was the nature of the beast because it was there at 3k miles when I bought it. It lasted to 18k before it let go. I suspect it had a little trash in one of the rod bearings from the factory.

The koa north of town is great. I sat with some guys on Harleys from Kansa City for two hours at camp. They gave me beers and picked my brain about adventure riding and camping. They are bored riding just street.

There is a brewery 3 miles south toward red lodge. Get the Shandy and a great sandwich.
Missed this post, I was out of service at Burning Bear Campground on Guanella Pass in Colorado when you posted this. Made it to Red Lodge the next day, had a blast and just got back this afternoon.

Back