• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Idaho BDR June 12 - June 27 2020

Missed this post, I was out of service at Burning Bear Campground on Guanella Pass in Colorado when you posted this. Made it to Red Lodge the next day, had a blast and just got back this afternoon.

Did you see the mountain goats on guanilla pass just south of burning bear cg?

I did not, but what a smooth beautiful piece of road that was.

I saw that camp sight but it was still too early in day to set up camp. I told duke what a great campsite that would make when we rode past

Was it first come first serve or can you reserve a site?

Half is reservation, half is first come first served.

This older lady came over to tell me about the trail running up the mountain behind her camp site telling me there's a rock overlook with an amazing view and if I have the time then I should run up there. I looked at the trail and it went straight up. I thanked her, then told her that I'm from Dallas and at 9800' I'm lucky to make it from my bike to my tent without having to stop for a break. There's no firewood, you have to bring your own and the facilities are vault toilets only. Still, it's a beautiful place to camp. I did some looking in the area and saw a picture of the view and was sold. It got down to 40F overnight so it's possible to sleep soundly and cozy in a good sleeping bag or with a good quilt.

DSC00741-L.jpg

DSC00736-L.jpg

Here is mine and Duke's packing of the motorcycles

After the Idaho BDR, here is how I packed my rig

Here is how Duke packed his rig

103682C1-AAF7-471F-A410-DCB1B1D96C63.jpeg

It’s not just the back roads that get blocked indefinitely in Idaho. This it the main north south highway. Sent by daughter who lives up there.
Maybe no issue if you have a trials bike and are good at that sport.

View attachment 267754

It’s not just the back roads that get blocked indefinitely in Idaho. This it the main north south highway. Sent by daughter who lives up there.
Maybe no issue if you have a trials bike and are good at that sport.
I guess they will scale and blast that face before they start clearing. I wouldn't want to be down there pushing with that overhead

View attachment 268406

They got it cleared just to have this happen yesterday. Small sign says for motorcycles to use caution.lol.

Adventure touring is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. Rain, snow, sleet, hail, water crossings, downed trees, avalanches, animals, vehicles, break downs, flat tires....dang with all those risks we all must be a crazy bunch :)

Adventure touring is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. Rain, snow, sleet, hail, water crossings, downed trees, avalanches, animals, vehicles, break downs, flat tires....dang with all those risks we all must be a crazy bunch :)
There are those like my sister that will die cowering in her bathtub during a thunderstorm for fear of a tornado and the shower curtain suffocates her to death.
I choose to live life and adventure.

Back