• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Idaho Bdr June 2020

misterk

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Me and a few buddies are doing the Idaho BDR. There will be 3 Africa Twins, 1 wee storm and 1 GSA. Loaded with camping gear!

Plan:

Meet in Amarillo Friday June 12th, I have an Airbnb.

Saturday 600 miles to 3 step hideaway in La Sal Utah.

Sunday 450 miles to Twin Falls Idaho, ride 3 hours on the Bdr and camp.

Monday - Friday Idaho BDR, not going past I-90.

Saturday head to red Lodge Montana.

Sunday - bear tooth pass, chief Joseph and stay at Big Bear Lodge at Burgess Junction (or my secret super duper campsite by Ten Sleep Wyoming.

Monday - Friday ride south through Colorado on dirt roads.

Saturday return home.

Has anybody done the Idaho Bdr that can share some cool tips about the Bdr?

f85bd012b64c94b510c118d76387f9be.jpg

The southern two thirds of the route are through some of the most fantastic farm land I've seen. You can roll through pretty quick if you're so inclined. Once you get into the mountains things slow down a lot and towns are few and far between. Camping is the way to go cause trying to make it to a town by dark may or may not happen and camping is totally available. It's real easy to be somewhere entirely different than you expected. Riding isn't very technical and the motorcycles you mentioned can make it but it is seriously remote so take what you need to deal with mechanicals. People there said the biggest danger is going all day without seeing another human then suddenly having a quad coming at you around a corner. Lot's of forest fire damage. Be very careful if the forest service is still dropping hay all over bare mountains. There's very little traction going through loose hay and bare mountains can be deep sand. I'll probably think of something else later...

Take time to enjoy it! So much beautiful scenery and easy riding roads. Stop early to set up camp and enjoy. Agree with previous poster and ride right. Lots of ATVs in many areas. Probably the easiest and most big bike friendly of the BDRs. Easy to navigate. Do not speed in Jarbidge-its 10mph in town!

Great advice, thanks. We usually plan to set up camp by 4 or 5 no matter what. We aren’t in a big hurry.

Back