• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Idaho or Bust….3 Texans 4 Strokes 5 States

KsTeveM

Say When
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Pylant
1659704264381.png

Well, I’ve really gone and done it this time, Idaho is not an easy feat to pull off from Central Texas. Mulled over various scenarios, shipping, flying, staging, renting, begging, borrowing. Even tried to talk myself out of it and pick a different trip that was easier to pull off, maybe someday I can do this Idaho thing.

1659704287206.png

Nope, I’ve been wanting to see this part of the country for a while now. You never know about life, I’m doing it by darn. Next decision….big bike, little bike, what route…..Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route, Tour of Idaho, Guts Resolve Intelligence Toughness GRIT route, or wing it? Dang it, what to do? After muy mucho consideration, decided to truck it from Texas to Colorado and then make a loop out of Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and oh yeah….Idaho. I’m doing a stitched together route sprinkling in all kinds of stuff I gleaned from here and there to get off the beaten path. The 5 Oh Oh became the weapon of choice due to the obscurity on some of the trail selection and the unknown. I’m expecting some oh boy what did I do to us moments, but those are the ones you tend to remember anyway. Snip of the route below. Am I crazy?

1659704314784.png

1659704322068.png

Packing….aim small, be small. Best you can pull off when living off a bike this many days. I am expecting to deal with more varying climates than my past jaunts that were desert heavy. So I tweaked things a bit to carry a tent vs. a bivy, along with some additional clothing layers I wouldn’t normally worry about. Enough pack talk, you get the idea, leave most of your crap at home, you need tools and underwear. Or your tool and no underwears, I get confused. But the 5hundy is not confused, shakedown run complete. He is ready, and both of us are getting twitchy. Departure imminent. More to come……

1659704567439.png

....gonna watch this...!!!
...been watchin MisterK doin all the "skinny roads" too.
...hes been covering some amazing country...!!!
...are you carrying a Spot we can follow...??

....gonna watch this...!!!
...been watchin MisterK doin all the "skinny roads" too.
...hes been covering some amazing country...!!!
...are you carrying a Spot we can follow...??
Coolness. Yes we have a spot. I'm not a spotwalla kind of guy, but one of the others might be. Probably post a link to follow along at some point. And I'm going to do my best to post daily to the ride report with the happenings. My eyes might have been bigger than my stomach type deal on this run!!!!

That is going to be a great ride. Yeah, Idaho is way up there but completely worth it. Except for the fire near Salmon, the skies should be mostly smoke free. I’m looking forward to following along. :thumb:

Yup, I'm watching the fires. I have a work around to avoid going that far north to Salmon.....that looks like it involves single track!! Oops.

Can't help the schedule part, the whole work thing. But I am going to try and take it all in patiently. We will call audibles if we have to make up time.

"Am I crazy?" you ask...

You are... and wonderfully so! I wish I were crazy enough to take on a ride like this.

Can't wait for the stories and pictures - LOTS of pictures.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I'd be all over a trip like this if I didn't have responsibilities keeping me close to home. I'd also prefer an open timetable. Maybe one day. In the meantime it looks like I'll be living vicariously through more photos!

Idaho sucks, go somewhere else 😂.

Don’t over think it, do the Idaho BDR first to get to know the area, you will love Magruder and Lolo motorway on the 5hundy.

Idaho is BIG country, make sure someone has a spot or inreach. If someone goes down it is a long way from help.

I signed up for Skymed at the gs rally in Dolores. But before every big trip I would buy a policy from world nomads. Cost is about $75 for $300k of coverage. It is only for the length of the trip.

Last edited:
Idaho sucks, go somewhere else 😂.

Don’t over think it, do the Idaho BDR first to get to know the area, you will love Magruder and Lolo motorway on the 5hundy.

Idaho is BIG country, make sure someone has a spot or inreach. If someone goes down it is a long way from help.

I signed up for Skymed at the gs rally in Dolores. But before every big trip I would buy a policy from world nomads. Cost is about $75 for $300k of coverage. It is only for the length of the trip.
We have a pretty good route planned, more technical than the BDR I suspect.....and a loop. I wish I had more time to meander, just not in the cards.

We all have a SPOT type device, I requested each person have one, and a couple of them have two way capability which is cool. I recently added the recovery insurance to my plan as well. All good tips brother, appreciate you looking out for me!! I'm trying to get better at this nomadic traveling but I'm still a scooby.

We have a pretty good route planned, more technical than the BDR I suspect.....and a loop. I wish I had more time to meander, just not in the cards.

We all have a SPOT type device, I requested each person have one, and a couple of them have two way capability which is cool. I recently added the recovery insurance to my plan as well. All good tips brother, appreciate you looking out for me!! I'm trying to get better at this nomadic traveling but I'm still a scooby.
Steve,
He's just trying to make sure someone knows where your bike is so he can get a good deal on it later. :lol2:

I got my final package from acme today.
1659821640746.jpeg

I had been trying to find my normal fuel additive that Acme makes to no avail. I called Wylie up and asked him when they expected to get some out. He told me that they had suspended operations temporarily. The Acme Rocket company seems to be in negotiations with Elon Musk and SpaceX. Seems Elon wants to purchase some of their proprietary designs to help SpaceX to the next level. I explained to Wylie that I had a big trip and he said not to worry he had some old stock on the shelf of some old fuel additive that would meet my expectations. He said just add a couple of ounces to each tank. He said he has used this personally.
13D682B7-C44E-49AA-9D93-1F68E40EF477.jpeg

I haven’t gotten my packing as lean as @KsTeveM but I’m working on it.
94B851A0-1051-4B40-B3E7-AEAA297345C0.jpeg

Back