• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If only one.....

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Notice that most folks on here have multiple bikes of different flavors. If for what ever reason you had to go to one bike, what would your choice be? As I get older riding offroad will slow down even though it's my favorite, I seem to enjoy back roads the most. So I'm thinking I'd probably go with a BMW GS 1200/50. But I love dirt bikes still and a Ducati Hypermotard still appeal to me. Too many bike dreams, lol.

Shaft drive adventure bike here also. Currently would choose Yamaha for budget and reliability but adv and shaft is more important than brand.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I don't have the dirt bike affliction, so for me it comes down to street bikes / adventure travel. While I have three at the moment, I believe that the R1200GS could be the do it all bike I would be happy with. Part of that is the geography I live in. We're not blessed with twisty mountain roads, or my answer would be different - I would have to have at least 2 bikes in that case.
So why do I have 3 bikes? Mainly because the resale market is so pathetic that I would rather keep bikes than give them away. If you are interested in a cherry K1200RS though, drop me a line!

Not long ago I would have said the Africa Twin without hesitation, but this VFR1200X is making a play for the #1 spot.

All that torque plus shaft drive and tubeless tires makes for a pretty fun bike. I haven't ridden the Africa Twin since November.

Dang, I just got my garage the way I want it and you want me to pick one? It would be easier to pick which of my kids I want to keep. I'd have to choose the FJR, it's the most versatile, it's the one I can really use year round.

Now, if you told me I could sell everything in my garage and go to one bike, I'd probably sell them all and buy one of the bigger ADV bikes. Some of them can do everything my FJR can do and still do better off the paved roads. They really are the do it all bikes right now, so I'd probably do that.

A trials bike. I can ride on 2 acres and keep changing the obstacles and never get bored. They are relatively quiet compared to other dirt bikes (they are loud when you really get on them, but at slow speeds they are putt putt putt quiet). Then you could also enter competitions for a change of pace. I sold my Beta 300 4T last year to a member here and really miss it. Edit: I guess that was 2017 not last year. Wow time flies.

No surprise I'm sure but a KLR650. I love lots of other bikes but the KLRer just fits most requirements for me. It's also just a really fun bike to putt around on.

Since I've always been a one-bike owner, it's pretty much a no-brainer for me. But ask me what I would pick if I had to live with only one guitar? Wow, in my mind, that would be like dividing by zero.

But ask me what I would pick if I had to live with only one guitar? Wow, in my mind, that would be like dividing by zero.
After years of addiction, I'm down to one acoustic, one electric and one bass.

It can be done :)

Since I've always been a one-bike owner, it's pretty much a no-brainer for me. But ask me what I would pick if I had to live with only one guitar? Wow, in my mind, that would be like dividing by zero.
We all have our weaknesses, I use to have only one then met all these guys with multiples, that looks like fun, lol. Ideally I'd have 2, designated dirt bike and adv bike of some size. Problem is I can't afford it, lol. And a lot of wrenching.

If I don’t have to pay for it I’d go with a Super Duke GT. If I’m footing the bill it’s probably be an FJ 09.

Of course I’ve never ridden either of those, so they could be horrible choices.

Dang, I just got my garage the way I want it and you want me to pick one? It would be easier to pick which of my kids I want to keep. I'd have to choose the FJR, it's the most versatile, it's the one I can really use year round.

I owned 2 FJR's over a period of 11 years and was a total FJR homer. LOVED those bikes but once I got into the ADV and dirt scene it was left sitting more and more until I finally had to come to terms that it was time to let it go and be enjoyed by someone who'd use it. My wife considered it her bike and still occasionally brings up how I sold it without her approval :-)

If I don’t have to pay for it I’d go with a Super Duke GT. If I’m footing the bill it’s probably be an FJ 09.

I've ridden the Super Duke GT, would be a great choice, extremely fast, good handling bike.

I'd have to pick my Goldwing. That may surprise many that know me but my wife rides with me about 5K miles a year and sharing those rides with her are more important than any other riding I do. Plus, the Goldwing is plenty capable of carving up a twisty road and putting a smile on my face. It's not as fast and it can't corner like other bikes, but it's the only bike I have that I can ride 500 mile days 2 UP with and still have fun carving twisty roads when I get to them.

Now....I am REALLY glad that I don't have to choose just one because I'm really enjoying dirt and ADV riding these days and I still love the horsepower, speed and cornering abillity that sport and sport touring bikes provide.

Because I like dirtbikes and riding the rode. It would probably be my dinky xr650l. It does nothing great, but it does everything I want.
Trails, commute, wheelie, gravel, highway.

I've ridden the Super Duke GT, would be a great choice, extremely fast, good handling bike.

SDGT is a great bike but be prepared to spend a bit in tires. It kind of eats rear tires when you use that power.

Also...it doesn't handle real distance that well. You can do 300 mile days on it comfortably, but 500 gets a little hard and 700 or 800 will make you not want to ride for a couple of days. I've done a 750 mile day on it once and I had fun the first 400 miles but only survived the last 350. I probably wouldn't do it again.

SDGT is a great bike but be prepared to spend a bit in tires. It kind of eats rear tires when you use that power.

Also...it doesn't handle real distance that well. You can do 300 mile days on it comfortably, but 500 gets a little hard and 700 or 800 will make you not want to ride for a couple of days. I've done a 750 mile day on it once and I had fun the first 400 miles but only survived the last 350. I probably wouldn't do it again.
Well 300 miles suit me fine, lol. About all I'm good far anymore no matter what bike!

I'd have to pick my Goldwing. That may surprise many that know me but my wife rides with me about 5K miles a year and sharing those rides with her are more important than any other riding I do. Plus, the Goldwing is plenty capable of carving up a twisty road and putting a smile on my face. It's not as fast and it can't corner like other bikes, but it's the only bike I have that I can ride 500 mile days 2 UP with and still have fun carving twisty roads when I get to them.

Now....I am REALLY glad that I don't have to choose just one because I'm really enjoying dirt and ADV riding these days and I still love the horsepower, speed and cornering abillity that sport and sport touring bikes provide.
Time with the wife, you have your priorities correct! Wish my wife would still ride with me, ain't happening. I could push the issue and she would but if something did happen I would feel worst than terrible. But she does come to the races and really enjoys it. One reason I still go, she enjoys the atmosphere and seeing the races.

Best memories of my wife and I were riding during dating and the early years. Since the kids she has no interest on the roads but has been wanting to try a small bike on dirt roads. Need to start working on that. I'm hoping once the kids are gone, (12 years :eek2:) we can get back to riding two up long distances.

Time with the wife, you have your priorities correct! Wish my wife would still ride with me, ain't happening. I could push the issue and she would but if something did happen I would feel worst than terrible. But she does come to the races and really enjoys it. One reason I still go, she enjoys the atmosphere and seeing the races.

Everyone is different. My wife really enjoys riding with me but only on the Goldwing. I can't even get her to sit on the BMW or KTM after she's experienced that Goldwing passenger seat.

But...the key is that she enjoys it, so that is why it works for us. If she didn't enjoy and look forward to rides, I certainly wouldn't try and convince her to. The only right answer is to find something you enjoy together. For us, it's motocycling, for other couples it's something else. The key is to find the something....

Everyone is different. My wife really enjoys riding with me but only on the Goldwing. I can't even get her to sit on the BMW or KTM after she's experienced that Goldwing passenger seat.

But...the key is that she enjoys it, so that is why it works for us. If she didn't enjoy and look forward to rides, I certainly wouldn't try and convince her to. The only right answer is to find something you enjoy together. For us, it's motocycling, for other couples it's something else. The key is to find the something....
For real, we're good there, had 48 years to figure it out, lol. She actually enjoys bikes, cars, racing, just doesn't want to be on one anymore, fear is part, arthritis is also part, hurts to ride. We're good.

Back