• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If only one.....

Just did a quick search on 2016-2018 used models on Cycle Trader.

54 used Africa Twins
66 used R 1200 GS Adventure

Not sure which one sold more models in the US those years.
I'd assume the gsa sold alot more

Just did a quick search on 2016-2018 used models on Cycle Trader.

54 used Africa Twins
66 used R 1200 GS Adventure

Not sure which one sold more models in the US those years.
My numbers from Cycle Trader were for new and used. Just shows how many bikes the Honda dealers are hung with for whatever reason.

The Africa twin is my camping, dirt road, go anywhere motorcycle RV. My preferred solo bike. It is my Swiss Army knife bike. With the aux. camel tank, I can go farther on the twin than I can the wing.

I was really irritated with the 5 gallon tank on the twin. Going 85 mph across west Texas, I am running on fumes at 130 miles. That means sometimes you have to stop at 70 or 90 miles to get gas.

My goldwing is my two up bike with wife. I also ride it to the gym everyday because I like the stereo[emoji41]. If I am going to go somewhere long or medium distance for the day and just want to knock out super slab miles, I take the gold wing.

For example, I met some guys for lunch in Stephenville a few weeks ago. I jumped on the wing.

I do love both bikes but for different reasons.

b3aeaa2f90c78ff9f593d0c71721cd30.jpg

a00299f8232c440af1edd263684cda5a.jpg

5bbf50f03e63d8c5f47ef786c8aba9e6.jpg

4f6996b57e1f31e0ea4bb37370a615a6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My beautiful, competent, reliable Moto Guzzi V7 III Special, of course.

You see a bunch of AT's for sale because it's all new and a bunch of people grabbed them and then found out it wasn't what they wanted. Also, don't neglect the "Ooh, look at that, new and shiny" owners. They saw new an shiny and bought an AT and now there's something else new and shiny. We have a few of those on this board. Comparing to the GS, it's not new and shiny, just constant upgrades. Someone who buys one knows they probably really wanted one.

It would have to be one of my three Valkyrie Tourers.......If I had to pick one of those, it'd probably be the one with 25,000 miles over the 174,000 mile one (below). Tough decision.

Valk AK.JPG
Below is the one with 25K on it.
Valk2.jpg

Last edited:
It would be a tough decision for me between the Bandit and the Wee, but overall the Wee would get the edge if I could only keep just one...they are both great bikes.

It would have to be one of my three Valkyrie Tourers.......If I had to pick one of those, it'd probably be the one with 25,000 miles over the 174,000 mile one. Tough decision.

I'd post a picture of them, but TWT was my link site, and I can't get there to link my pics now.:tears:

If you still have the images on your computer, you can just use the "Attach files" button below the message editing box and upload them to this thread.

Thanks, Scott. I am almost 65 and I really tech like it.......

49161212_2533930739954997_6000729079618207744_n.jpg

My choice would be the above, which I already own, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball with factory Stage 1 upgrades. I got it for stupid cheap (under $1000) with only ~6800 miles.

I'm adding a set of quick release hard saddlebags and a Mustang seat with removable passenger backrest. Then, I'll be good to go. Grocery getter during the week, then can strip the bags off for Saturday night cruising. Want to do a longer tour with the wife? Mount the back rest, gas up, and head out.

After I thought about the one bike concept, I just couldn't choose between the 300 and 1290, then I remembered seeing the SD with knobbies and thought...

Last edited:
There are lots of ways to slice the statistics. How many were first time riders buying the marketing and learning that they need something else - or nothing? How many miles average for each model?
Personally a shaft would be a must have on the only bike in the stable. But if not, Woodsguy could easily stick with the 800GS knowing that any bike that was "better" could only be slightly better for our usual one up riding in Texas. A new R1250RT would be better compared to my two decade old unit, but it can't be $15,000 better.

I've only ever had three bikes, one at a time. All fit the need at the time.

Suzuki GS500F, 15k miles. Great to learn on, used until I got doing over 300 mile days.

Honda NT700, 72k miles. Had it five years and did many 1000 mile weekends on it.

Honda GL1800 (2009) I got in late 2015. It is what I always aspired to I guess.

Keep the shiny side up.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Not long ago I would have said the Africa Twin without hesitation, but this VFR1200X is making a play for the #1 spot.

All that torque plus shaft drive and tubeless tires makes for a pretty fun bike. I haven't ridden the Africa Twin since November.

Took the AT and VFR out back to back today. Man, it would be a tough call if I had to pick one.

I would keep my old beat up KLR.

If I was in a position to be able to only have one bike, it would be because of financials issues. Most everything on the KLR is very economical to repair/replace with either new, refurbished or serviceable parts. Even though production has been stopped there will be economical parts available for them for years and years.

Back