• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If you ride National Enduro's

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
They've changed the letters after the numbers!

To help check workers understand the when called out.

I can understand that, seems could have waited to new year!!

I would think they are responding to some complaints about scoring. I would be more concerned about being scored correctly than having to put new numbers on my bike.

Well, B,C,D, and E sound real similar when yelled out. Change makes sense.

So do transponders

I understand why they are doing it. I would want to be scored correctly. It's just the timing that is odd

Transponders are the way to go. Back when I raced dirt cars we always had to keep tape handy to modify our numbers when we traveled, because there was a high likelihood of having the same number as someone else. Those days are gone and when I travel with with some of my friends now there will be two or three cars with the same number, but doesn't really mean anything since everyone has a transponder assigned to them.

What do I know as I have only been working Enduros for 25 years or more, including many Natonals, ISDE qualifiers, etc. My first enduro it took me about two rows of riders to start shouting out 3 "Alpha", 4 "Charlie, 5 "Delta". Same thing every other check worker has probably done as well forever.

All Texas enduros are scored electronically now through LiveLaps, which uses a scan from a cell phone. Phones are provided by TSCEC scoring. However, as long as humans are involved and technology is counted on, then there will be a requirement for back up sheets--which requires verbal communication among check workers.

So, a solution to a problem that really did not exist is how I see this. But, that is the world we live in now.

So do transponders

I understand why they are doing it. I would want to be scored correctly. It's just the timing that is odd
I think every organization is running transponders now, but they also still have hand written back up, which is a very good thing.

What do I know as I have only been working Enduros for 25 years or more, including many Natonals, ISDE qualifiers, etc. My first enduro it took me about two rows of riders to start shouting out 3 "Alpha", 4 "Charlie, 5 "Delta". Same thing every other check worker has probably done as well forever.

All Texas enduros are scored electronically now through LiveLaps, which uses a scan from a cell phone. Phones are provided by TSCEC scoring. However, as long as humans are involved and technology is counted on, then there will be a requirement for back up sheets--which requires verbal communication among check workers.

So, a solution to a problem that really did not exist is how I see this. But, that is the world we live in now.
True, but part of the problem if there is one, I'm sure every event there is newbie's working that may take longer than you to figure out how to deal with it! The change to me doesn't hurt anything, if it helps a little that is a good thing.

I think every organization is running transponders now, but they also still have hand written back up, which is a very good thing.
Yes, duplicate info is important.

@Johnf3 said it best. 61alpha, 61bravo etc is a easier solution.

Yes, duplicate info is important.

@Johnf3 said it best. 61alpha, 61bravo etc is a easier solution.
Probably, but if you never worked a check it gets hectic, for us beginners anyway. KISS, as much as possible.

Probably, but if you never worked a check it gets hectic, for us beginners anyway. KISS, as much as possible.

I don't think you are a beginner, ha! Anyway, you are correct. The last race at Hidden Falls, it seemed most checks were run by new to our sport volunteers., most likely with a crash course 1 minute training on how to scan with Livelaps. We are lucky in our club to have old farts as checkpoint leaders.

Still, issues come up. Last year at our LTR LoneStar Enduro, our check was the textbook example of how it works with LiveLaps. Every rider scanned without delay--well, until one of the fastest riders in Texas, Cole Kirkpatrick, came through. We could not get the scan complete--started moving the phone in and out, up and down, the whole time Cole is NOT happy. Finally after about 20 seconds, the scan registered. It was correct on the back up sheet and everything was good, but it got Cole pretty excited.

Then we had another 200 riders go through and everything was perfect again.

Last year at Brunes I had an A rider get upset, it just wouldn't read, he started counting seconds, I was embarrassed and frustrated. His counting out loud didn't help. Lol. But understand fast guys are separated by very few seconds usually.

I don't think you are a beginner, ha! Anyway, you are correct. The last race at Hidden Falls, it seemed most checks were run by new to our sport volunteers., most likely with a crash course 1 minute training on how to scan with Livelaps. We are lucky in our club to have old farts as checkpoint leaders.

Still, issues come up. Last year at our LTR LoneStar Enduro, our check was the textbook example of how it works with LiveLaps. Every rider scanned without delay--well, until one of the fastest riders in Texas, Cole Kirkpatrick, came through. We could not get the scan complete--started moving the phone in and out, up and down, the whole time Cole is NOT happy. Finally after about 20 seconds, the scan registered. It was correct on the back up sheet and everything was good, but it got Cole pretty excited.

Then we had another 200 riders go through and everything was perfect again.
Your club does have a bunch of old farts, I can detect the scent by the time I get west of Wichita Falls! :rofl:

Back