• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

If you trailer, where do you park your rig?

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brewster
With a little luck, we will finally begin traveling a good bit this coming year. I can see two scenarios where I'd like secure parking and I'd like the advice of folks that have been doing it for a while. The first is that we trailer a bike out and need to ditch the tow vehicle with an empty trailer. I've gone into Mexico and left the truck at the hotel on the border and it worked alright, but I'm concerned that every hotel won't be so accommodating. The second scenario I could see is that I take a bike on a trailer, but I need to ditch the bike and trailer while we take the truck on some other adventure. This one is the most worrisome to me because I see a trailer with bikes on it as a written invitation for theft. It seems like I'd almost want an enclosed garage for that. What have y'all successfully used for temporary storage? Motel parking lots, RV storage facilities campgrounds or.......? Is there a favored chain of businesses that you find particularly useful?

I can forsee needing to be ale to do this in a wide variety of places.

I have had good luck going on Advrider and asking if there is someone in the area where I will be that has space to park a truck and trailer. In every case it has been a safe and secure location, most times behind locked gates.

I wonder about this as well.

I've trailed to the Best Western in Kerrville twice now and parked the trailer in the furthest spot and locked it up. The first time I chained it a telephone pole, but the second time I left it free standing with a hitch lock on it. Now issues those two times.

I'd like to learn more options though. That said, I'm hoping to trailer less this year.

You might also check to see if there is a local U-Haul center. They might let you park there for a fee if they have space.

I have seen people post about parking them in RV parks. You might have to pay for a space, which might not be cheap nowadays.

I really would check out Advrider if you are a member. I have done that numerous times and always had great luck.

Seems like a good idea. Where do you post? Trip planning?
Usually in the appropriate regional forum. I’ll also seek info on roads I want to ride or things I want to see.

Nobody that has posted is as lucky as I am. I have 6 brothers and 3 sisters. It's nearly "name a state" and I have parking. the most convenient ones are Carlsbad, NM and Taos NM. I did park once at a Motel in Brighton, Colorado. The motel belonged to the guy that sold me my 3rd DRZ.

I've found that most hotels will let you leave your vehicle with them if you book your first and last night there. I've done this many times. I also think if you get a Kendon type trailer that stands up you can park it and your tow vehicle in one spot and be less of a nuisance to wherever your are.

I've called the local Harley dealership and asked to store a pickup and trailer. Some are very accommodating when they find out I had a fold-up Kendon and not an enclosed double axle! Las Cruces Harley has been the best.
I've snagged a tent site at the nearest KOA and parked my rig at that spot. Also camped the first and last night . (State parks and US Army Corps of Engineers park work out the same)
I've done the first/last night hotel thing.
Even used some of the small mom n pop RV parks and that worked out well.

Everyone knows about leaving a rig with the Raton NM police dept. in their parking lot.... for a small fee.
In the same town, the Summerlan (not Summerland) RV park will stow you away in the back lot for $1 per day. If you can talk Right-Wing politics, the owner will cut that down too. Beware.... it's hard to get away when you do that. Ha!

I've never found anywhere to park for free. Even snagging someone on the net, I end up taking them out to eat or something for the good gesture!

In Raton, there's always the Summerlan Campground where you can leave a truck/trailer for a whopping buck a night. Other campgrounds may have similar arrangements; it's worth calling ahead & checking. I've also called ahead & gotten permission from local churches to leave a Jeep & trailer on their premises; of course, churches are rarely secured, so there may be a higher possibility of a break-in.

Summerlan over in Raton is a spot I used twice and a buck a day is very reasonable. Never had any issues with break ins or losing anything there. Good place to camp also. RV or tent and clean restrooms.

When I hauled the F6B up to Cortez for the rally last year, I rented a stall at a storage facility. She charged me 1/2 a month's rent, ($25), and it was safe and sound.

We have done the first and last night motel that Bart suggested earlier. We've also parked for week in commercial covered lot near airport in Albuquerque for about $3 a day (don't remember the actual price but pretty reasonable). Parked out of way at large store in Hugo OK. with prior consent from manager.

Back