• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm just here for the mountains - the Great Divide Ride 2017

We spent the night of day 3 in Del Norte, CO at the Windsor Hotel, the best hotel of the trip.
2017061718413141-CB4F87EE-A06A-45BF-B5D7-FF082A040626-XL.jpg
My room at the Windsor Hotel
Now that's what I'm talkin' about
IMG_4074-XL.jpg

Final thoughts

I realize that the CDR is on a lot of riders' bucket list. And I wouldn't try to persuade anyone from doing it. However, speaking just for myself - and this is just one man's opinion - I wouldn't do it again. The riding was too easy for my tastes. A 1000 miles of class 1 gravel roads is boring to me - I definitely prefer class 2 and class 3 riding. The scenery is nice but didn't make up for all the class 1 riding. Again, that's just my take on things. As the saying goes, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Cheers until next time.

:tab I was looking at all these great pics and thinking the same thing. My GS with a set of TKC 80s would have been about perfect for this trip. That rocky stuff would have been a challenge, but I think I could have done it.

:tab This is why you need a big adventure bike to go with that sexy KTM 500 ;-) Most of the stuff you just did would be perfect for taking a bigger bike so you can take your grandson on a trip :trust: I did this kind of trip with my oldest daughter last fall on my 1200 GS. She was eleven (almost twelve) at the time. We did Southern Utah, Capitol Reef NP, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Cedar Breaks NM, Skyline Drive, and then skipped over into Colorado to come down the dirt passes from Rangely, Rifle, Paonia, Gunnison, Lake City, Pagosa Springs, and finally back to Farmington, NM. We did a LOT of dirt. Most of it was class 1. There was a bit of class 2. It was perfect for a fully loaded GS with a passenger. She had an absolute blast (as did I). Her and Daniel both have also been able to ride with me up in Arkansas and Missouri. She's not as wild about full on dirt bike riding like Daniel, but she loves doing the DS thing and exploring little back roads. Daniel likes it too, but he really likes being the one with the throttle in his had :-P

Hey Colin,

Of our original 8 - Curtis and I were the only 2 to make it to Steamboat for the final group dinner.

Then next day, we had breakfast at a nice little cafe, then parted ways.

Curtis continued on solo toward Banf-stopping to talk to interesting people and wild camping his way though Wyoming and Montana. Along the way, he met up with young guy from another CDR riding group who'd lost his companions along the way.

Close to the border, he had a minor mishap; and the bike landed on his foot breaking a bone at the base of his toe. He is now casually making his way back to Houston, with crutches now strapped to the side of his bike:)

I had to head back to Katy for work the next week; so took off by road south through the mountains to Trinidad; then home via Amarillo. 36 hours - the last thru 107 deg heat! It was rough. !

All the way home nn the same tire we looked at in Antonio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rich,

the day 2 part where the road was closed, our group was the last group in. We saw the fire fighters, they told us to go ahead and they were closing after us.

That end d up being the road Chuck got hurt, and Adam had to save Collin and mine lives :)

4e30f64bf655c4a1bd9652f0320775a7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bart,
I had my protective hoodie on underneath for extra protection, but yeah, I think I have learned my lesson.

Yeah, with that magic hoodie I'm not sure why you bother with a helmet.

;-)

Good to see you ripping it up again. Hopefully we'll ride together again some time.

Here is the first one. I'm trying. Not fully skilled yet.

Attachments

• DSCN0310 640x480.jpg
    DSCN0310 640x480.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 253
I'm using the 640x480 size. I don't know what to do to post them original size.

DSCN0311 640x480.jpg

DSCN0301 640x480.jpg

DSCN0296 640x480.jpg

DSCN0297 640x480.jpg

DSCN0269 640x480.jpg

Final thoughts

I realize that the CDR is on a lot of riders' bucket list. And I wouldn't try to persuade anyone from doing it. However, speaking just for myself - and this is just one man's opinion - I wouldn't do it again. The riding was too easy for my tastes. A 1000 miles of class 1 gravel roads is boring to me - I definitely prefer class 2 and class 3 riding. The scenery is nice but didn't make up for all the class 1 riding. Again, that's just my take on things. As the saying goes, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

+1 to what TM said. The GDR and similar BDR's are not technical fun for lighweight dirt bikes riding with support. But a big bike loaded down heavy for a completely self supported 1-2 week ride is a different story. Add in inclement weather and can be downright challenging.

Also didn't you get detoured onto pavement once or twice? Not sure what you missed. Plus the big kicker is your route was only roughly 1/3 of the entire GDR. Kinda a broad stroke to paint the whole GDR from that sample size.

_

I look at the CDR as adventure travel more than Man vs Mtn riding.
There are plenty of challenging single track sections and two track like Fleecer Ridge all along the way but you'd have a hard time getting it done in a short amount of time. Read a few threads of people doing the CDR in 2014 when the torrential flooding was taking place to get an idea of how much it can all change depending on weather.

The BDRs seem to be more challenging overall and less gravel highway. The upper section of the IDBDR I rode was big bike antagonistic so a lot of it depends on what you're riding and if you're self supported.

For anyone wanting a real challenge, check out the Tour of Idaho T1. They've got rules and everything if you want credit for actually completing it! I don't know how'd you'd do some of that without carrying a chain saw.

My LWRR route is designed to be easier on the S to N along the CDR and then progressively harder on the return N to S route which encompasses IDBDR and BOM routes. That way your chops are up by the time you hit the harder stuff.

I agree with SB. For an adventure is definitely worth doing it especially if camping. For motocross type of riding would not be my goal. Riding less per day in some areas would give more time to enjoy between towns.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

I'm using the 640x480 size. I don't know what to do to post them original size.

If you are uploading images as attachments, the max allowable size is 640 X 480. The reason is to keep the file size small. Otherwise, my server would fill up quite quickly with large attachment files.

There are some free image hosting sites out there, but like many things, you kind of get what you pay for. A very popular and feature rich site for hosting images is www.smugmug.com.

If you are uploading images as attachments, the max allowable size is 640 X 480. The reason is to keep the file size small. Otherwise, my server would fill up quite quickly with large attachment files.

There are some free image hosting sites out there, but like many things, you kind of get what you pay for. A very popular and feature rich site for hosting images is www.smugmug.com.
I figured it. If any one is interested in any of the pic, send a PM.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Hwy 160 to Wolf Creek Pass, CO
170613_032-XL.jpg

Winsor Hotel, Del Norte, CO
170613_041-XL.jpg

Day 4
170614_045-XL.jpg

Hwy 114, looking East
170614_046-XL.jpg

Hi Guys
170614_049-XL.jpg

Saguache Co. Rd 14PP
170614_050-XL.jpg

Near Doyleville
IMG_4082-XL.jpg

Met this guy
IMG_4081-L.jpg
IMG_4077-L.jpg

Road to Marshall Pass
170614_059-XL.jpg

Au revoir, Amigos. From here it was slab to Salida
IMG_4084%20%283%29-XL.jpg

Historic Salida, CO
IMG_4092-L.jpg

MEEL tone, was the adv rider, "My ticket to ride" - was that Roel? Was he riding solo? Awesome that you ran into him, figuratively speaking of course.

Is that JQueen riding two up on the KLR with his son?

MEEL tone, was the adv rider, "My ticket to ride" - was that Roel? Was he riding solo? Awesome that you ran into him, figuratively speaking of course.

We stopped for lunch of Jerky and water. They rode by and turned around to see if we were having problems and needed any help. Quite the story on their web site, MyTicketToRide.com.

Azure O'neil on her Trans-Alp, Travelling the world with Roel Bremmers on his Africa Twin.

Attachments

• IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1727.JPG
    IMG_1727.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 269
We stopped for lunch of Jerky and water. They rode by and turned around to see if we were having problems and needed any help. Quite the story on their web site, MyTicketToRide.com.

Azure O'neil on her Trans-Alp, Travelling the world with Roel Bremmers on his Africa Twin.

What are the chances?! Wow, I wish I had been there. I really admire Azure. They both were traveling the world solo by moto, when they met. Have been just about inseparable since.

Last edited:
I had a great ride! Thanks for all who worked to set this thing up and to all the great guys I met as a part of the riding.

Here is the link to my ride report including the bonus days through southern Colorado down to Albuquerque.

No pic's? It didn't happen.
Bumped my knee on one of my falls.
IMG_4086-L.jpg

Leaving Salida
I rode solo on Day 5
IMG_4094-L.jpg

This is Colorado's South Park
IMG_4096-XL.jpg

I'm guessing it was on a stretch like this that Smiley clocked 100+mph
Side note: I saw a UPS truck out here
IMG_4097-XL.jpg

The town of Como is out there at the base of the hills