• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: IMS Cycle Show 1/4-1/6 2019

I just got back. It was disappointing as usual. The two highlights for me were seeing the Indian FTR 1200 in person (they had several there all decked out with different accessories) and the new Katana. The Katana looks cool, but the wet weight was ridiculously close to 500 pounds.

I just got back. It was disappointing as usual. The two highlights for me were seeing the Indian FTR 1200 in person (they had several there all decked out with different accessories) and the new Katana. The Katana looks cool, but the wet weight was ridiculously close to 500 pounds.
I fell in love with the FTR 1200, going to get a test ride asap!

Reactions: brg
I went on Sunday and had a good time. I rode the new Yamaha electric pedal bicycles and the Zero electric motorcycle. Honestly, with the speed so limited on the Zero's the bicycles were way more fun.

I also have been lusting after the FTR 1200 since it was announced. It looked as good as I'd hoped. That said, after sitting on it I looked like an elephant on a junebug. It was pretty cramped for my 6'2" height and my skill would never be able to get the most out of it.

I'll be back next year. Hopefully the weather will be as perfect as it was yesterday. Great day of riding.

49805528_10218756670927341_2821797065409953792_n.jpg

49712744_10218756672087370_1512043623103856640_n.jpg

49376839_10218756672727386_1052808363852693504_n.jpg

49344344_10218756665247199_8724602965148565504_n.jpg

49669537_10218756665887215_7045918287451914240_n.jpg

50170691_10218756666247224_2909881368567611392_n.jpg

Lots of folks rode on a beautiful day

I went on Sunday and had a good time. I rode the new Yamaha electric pedal bicycles and the Zero electric motorcycle. Honestly, with the speed so limited on the Zero's the bicycles were way more fun.

I also have been lusting after the FTR 1200 since it was announced. It looked as good as I'd hoped. That said, after sitting on it I looked like an elephant on a junebug. It was pretty cramped for my 6'2" height and my skill would never be able to get the most out of it.

I'll be back next year. Hopefully the weather will be as perfect as it was yesterday. Great day of riding.

That’s surprising to me. I’m 6’4” and thought it was plenty roomy.

Rob....what was the BMW model that is in your pics? Looks kind of cool. Kind of a BMW scrambler...

And...agree on the Indian. That's about the only Indian I'd want....but it's a beauty.

Had a great visit to IMS Saturday. First time I made the trek for the show. Spent about 6 hours there. Ordered a new set of tires and some Mosko bags to add to my farkle collection. Too bad the bike manufacturer turn-out seemed a little sparse - nothing from Yamaha to speak of. Would have been nice to see the Nikken. I'll have to catch them at MotoGP in Austin.

I also got to spend a great deal of time with Rob from BDR. Man, that guy was so friendly and had a TON of great information.

One interesting tidbit that my group didn't know was that the degrees rating of sleeping bags isn't for the comfort level. What it describes is the temperature that you can SURVIVE in that bag! So make sure you bring a bag rated at least one level lower than your expected conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It isn’t. The KTM tent was pretty small. A Duke 790, Duke 390, 1290 Adventure, 1090 Adventure, a 450 Six Days, and another dirt bike.

KTM didn't do any factory support (maybe paid for the dealer's space). KTM of North Texas brought their own inventory for a limited display. The 790 Adventure was at the NY IMS show but I suspect that was due to proximity to KTM U.S. headquarters. Dealers don't have any official info on the 790 ADV.

Rob....what was the BMW model that is in your pics? Looks kind of cool. Kind of a BMW.

that is a R nine T urban G/S, a urban adventure bike for ripping through yards down sidewalks and road sides around traffic. AKA: a laugh riot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went on Saturday and thought there were more people than the last few years. Yamaha was missing just like Gixerjasen said. I have a local Yamaha dealer so it didn't bother me as much as Husky not being there. I did see 9 friends that I don't see that often, so it was a success for me.

The adventure out booth was about the only thing I liked this year. I have to say the FTR1200S really surprised me in the Indian booth. What I posted over on Farm Rulz.

Agreed, but this is how the IMS has been going for quite a while. Triumph didn't even bother showing up this year (unless I missed them), last year they were just a single pop up tent and three bikes, kind of like the almost non existent Yamaha presence this year with a single bike.

There were a lot less customs and all of them were pretty much cruiser or cruiser esque so I didn't even bother voting on any of them.

The surprising highlight for me came from Indian in the form of the FTR1200S. Very sharp bike and surprisingly comfortable the gauge cluster is interesting and it has CRUISE CONTROL!. I told the guys working the booth that nothing that Indian had done up to this bike has even remotely interested me. The 15.5k price tag means one will never grace my garage at least in new form.

Kind of weird not seeing a KLR in there at all.

Suzuki is really bringing nothing new to the table other than the Katana which was pretty neat looking. But I was more attracted to the old Katana they had sitting there
smile.gif
It was nice to see the SV650 back on the floor.

Harley is bringing nothing new to the table other than retro paint jobs it seems.

Honda seems to be doing pretty well with retro models and updating what they already have.

The Vendor area was a circus as usual.

I haven't been real impressed with the IMS for many years even when I was living in Cali and going to the Long Beach show it was eh.

If I didn't live this close to it I wouldn't go out of my way to go. I rolled out of there by about 1300ish and was back home in time to do some tinkering on the Jeep before I took over watching the kiddos from the wife.

Only person I ran into was Lobby on my way out of the entry doors.

I went Friday for 2 hours and enjoyed it for the money I spent but still could have been bigger. The Indian FTR was indeed pretty cool. I also liked the Honda Monkey, Cb650R and the CB1000R. They also had some pretty cool customs displayed. I renewed Ride Texas Magazine for a free TShirt (under new publishers now). The electric bikes by Yamaha were pretty neat too.

that is a R nine T urban G/S, a urban adventure bike for ripping through yards down sidewalks and road sides around traffic. AKA: a laugh riot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This^^, my observation, cool bike, probably run gravel roads fine. But not near an actual adventure bike.

I ALWAYS make the show and the past half dozen or so years have left me (at least a little) disappointed but it draws me like a magnet does nails. I didn't even look at the list of manufacturers but was surprised Yamaha didn't make it. Cycle Gear's booth seemed smaller this year but they were very helpful with my Sena purchase and I also had the advantage of visiting with one of the Sena factory reps at their booth. Three or four (at least) carnival style hawkers wanting me to sign up for this or clean my glasses or whatever were irritating. Yeah, I'll go next year - sigh...

Pictures, pictures, pictures where are the pictures?

Back