• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inaugural Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas

That is actually the one thing I don't like about this event is that you can buy your way to being the winner
I don't mind the dynamic of fundraising for charity and am happy to support businesses who support bikers...but it's an interesting twist to have $$ spent be the primary driver for winning. Not my favorite part about it.

Just an FYI on the sponsor purchases...David accepts receipts for online purchases as well, so you don't have to physically make the purchase in the store if they are closed when you make that stop.

Good to know. I could have actually got some points for MotorcycleGear.com; after I got there on a Saturday, to see them closed, I ordered some cheapo gloves online with the $12 credit I had picked up from earlier purchases.

I don't mind the dynamic of fundraising for charity and am happy to support businesses who support bikers...but it's an interesting twist to have $$ spent be the primary driver for winning. Not my favorite part about it.
I agree.
This event is not a race, yet you have a "winner", and by making purchases, you can move up the ranks?

If you are going to have a prize, just have a drawing from those that make all 50 stops.
But then that removes the incentive to buy from the sponsors.

I agree.
This event is not a race, yet you have a "winner", and by making purchases, you can move up the ranks?

If you are going to have a prize, just have a drawing from those that make all 50 stops.

I like the drawing from all those the made all 50 stops idea. People that need gear and that donate to charities would normally do so any ways.

Riding to all 50 stops IS the challenge AND the reward. Who cares is someone buys their way to first place. It's not something that will appear on your tombstone.

Buy gear if you need it. Support a good cause, they need it. Get out and ride the beautiful State of Texas. What more could you want?

wouldn't that remove the incentive for the sponsors to support the event?
I agree.

The intent is to get out and ride to interesting places. I do that anyway. I think most of us do.
This gives me a chance to see things I did not know about, and gives me a challenge to meet.
If somebody wants to spend $500 (or whatever the amount was) to be able to get "first place" and the prize (which is what, and worth how much?), that is fine.

I was just looking at the 2020 results, appears max points is 197 (stops and purchases).
There were 71 participants with all 50 stops, 68 of those had the 197 point total.
So 3 people did not pay the max amount to get the full points amount (one got 195 points, 2 got 188 points).

Last edited:
The intent is to get out and ride to interesting places. I do that anyway. I think most of us do.
This gives me a chance to see things I did not know about, and gives me a challenge to meet.
If somebody wants to spend $500 (or whatever the amount was) to be able to get "first place" and the prize (which is what, and worth how much?), that is fine.

I was just looking at the 2020 results, appears max points is 197 (stops and purchases).
There were 71 participants with all 50 stops, 68 of those had the 197 point total.
So 3 people did not pay the max amount to get the full points amount (one got 195 points, 2 got 188 points).

I had 50 stops last year and 197 points. I didn't pay to get the full amount of points. The ones with less than 197 must be errors. I am speculating that the purchase points were not shown in the data you are looking at.

I had 50 stops last year and 197 points. I didn't pay to get the full amount of points. The ones with less than 197 must be errors. I am speculating that the purchase points were not shown in the data you are looking at.
No idea then, just what is posted on the results page

Edit: OK, I just now saw this on the page:

"The points reflected on this sheet are for tour stops only, not for any points earned from purchases with sponsors. Those points will be added to total points at the end of the tour for riders who make 25 or more stops. As the tour was extended until noon on December 15, 2020, a final calculation of points will start after that date."

197 was the max points for just getting the 50 stops. Purchase points would be on top of that for final rankings. I don't see anywhere that shows a final point tally, just the top 5 finishers based on total points.

For me, the tour did what I wanted it to do. Got me riding and to parts of Texas I wouldn't normally intentionally set out to ride (i.e., Borger). Turns out, even with snow and nearly freezing temps, I still had fun riding out in the panhandle. Definitely wouldn't have ever set out for Port Isabel but enjoyed those riding days as well. I bought things from sponsors I needed anyway--or donated to the charities--and liked that it thanked them for supporting the tour. I had forgotten there were even prizes until I was finished and happened to review the website again.

67764756-5B2D-4624-B7F3-ACA58D15CC04.jpeg

Here are my patches. 😁

Sad to see nothing west of the Pecos represented on here. Langtry, Comstock, Sanderson, Terlingua, Chinati Hot Springs, Big Bend NP, Marfa, nothing?!?

Sad to see nothing west of the Pecos represented on here. Langtry, Comstock, Sanderson, Terlingua, Chinati Hot Springs, Big Bend NP, Marfa, nothing?!?
BBNP was represented in 2020.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'm in... again. Maybe this year I'll find more road time.

Just finished my 15th tour stop.
Coleman. Stops 47-48-49. It’s a very cool town. My first trip there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished my 15th tour stop.
Coleman. Stops 47-48-49. It’s a very cool town. My first trip there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may want to post this in the 2021 thread.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Back