• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Indian Royal Enfield?

Reaction score
The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Giesecke
Any opinions? Sure LOOKS cool. :D If it'll cruise at 70, good 'nuf for me. There's a few twisty roads around here and as I get older, I get more retro. :D

Fun to think about, but at 6K, for another grand + I could get a new KLR or something. I just think this thing is cool, might be junk, but cool. :rofl:

https://youtu.be/22zuAk2wp8o

I like it. I could never own one as i am just a big human being....lol. I saw these on a showroom floor here in Florida and I thought they were pretty cool.

Cool looking bike. Reminds me of the old Norton 750 Commando I had a yearning for in my younger days. I'm getting older and truly appreciate a more relaxed riding position and have always liked the café look, but I'm not quite ready for the reduced horsepower part. My yearnings now draw me more toward the Super Duke 1290, but fortunately common sense intervenes...

Here is my 2014 C5 Classic. The most dependable bike I have ever owned. Lot of nostalgia and vibration. I have 7K miles. Lot of torque in 500 cc single,5 speed but 80 top end cursing 70 is real buzzy on pegs, 65 fair 60 better, no counter balance. Transmission like butter. I got it because it reminds me of my old Triumphs from 60's. Kick starts easy or electric. That said it is a fun secondary bike. I get about 75-80 mpg. Same motor as the GT. which is a café and to much lean for me. Bought mine from Bodacious Bikes in S.A. They are great on gravel, no joke.

Attachments

• Royal mellon.jpg
    Royal mellon.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 184
Here is my 2014 C5 Classic. The most dependable bike I have ever owned. Lot of nostalgia and vibration. I have 7K miles. Lot of torque in 500 cc single,5 speed but 80 top end cursing 70 is real buzzy on pegs, 65 fair 60 better, no counter balance. Transmission like butter. I got it because it reminds me of my old Triumphs from 60's. Kick starts easy or electric. That said it is a fun secondary bike. I get about 75-80 mpg. Same motor as the GT. which is a café and to much lean for me. Bought mine from Bodacious Bikes in S.A. They are great on gravel, no joke.

Oh, man, now you have me wanting one. :D I'm over my speed lust, really never had a big bike speed lust. Even when I was racing, I was into RDs at first (100+ mph), then TZ 250s, later 125 GP stuff. THEN, I got into minis. Heck, I had more fun on minis, stuff like YSRs and NSRs and XR100s and my all conquering KX80 Motard. :D Of course, the KX was a 100 mph motorcycle on the CMRA tracks, but I preferred the kart tracks of TMGP, way more fun.

I had a SV650S, probably the fastest street bike I've ever owned, faster than my 1979 GS1000 by a good bit. I rode it 70 mph everywhere I went. That is the speed limit, after all. NOW, I have a KLR and have never taken it over 80 mph. I cruise it at 70s and it buzzes a bit at the bars. I don't really ride it much anymore, just an occasional pleasure ride, and I think I would rather do THAT on a cool cafe style bike like that Enfield. :D There's a road here, runs up to Weimer, then on up to La Grange. The KLR has dual sport tires on it and stock suspension that just wallows through corners, not very fun. BUT, it attacks the dirt roads around.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I might think about the Enfield. My truck will be paid for next June. :D That'll free up 450 a month. Gives me time to talk myself out of it. :rofl:

Met a fellow on a RE about a month ago at the Kentucky state park where the Mississippi River was chained up during the Civil War. Pointed him down some paved farm roads through the loess bluffs along the east side of the Mississippi river bottom. He preferred 40-45mph on such roads, which is reasonable. I followed along down to Hornbeak TN, let him go first to enjoy his adventure. We stopped a couple times, and last smile I saw that big was Rich Simmon's smile the first time he rode his KLR in the dirt with a fat, 18-inch knobby on the front. He had a couple warranty issues when the bike was new, but no problems since he invested in a tube of Loctite. He did turn down a gravel road, and the RE was not bothered, even with just street tires.

If you want to cruise back roads with upright ergos, and not interested in squiding, and need to make a few miles at 70mph occasionally, the RE might be a good choice for you.

Jack come to T dale and ride mine PM me when you want I have two bikes we can take a ride. They all use the same motor but GT is 535, but same performance. They have hydraulic valves. and auto unloader for start kick or electric. FI on gas but looks like carburetor. John Deere torque 90 degree turn in 4th. gear pop pop pop. They have as much aftermarket parts as a KLR.
All kinds of videos on crossing Himalayans in Indian on them. Unbelievable carry on weight I think 500# plus
I took the cat. muffler off and ordered this sweet sound from England. Handles on a rail, no bs.
Loctite as Ken said is a good Ideal, plus bolt tightening ever few rides. Vibrates like my old 67 T6. At 60 cruse you will get near 80. Three oil plugs to drain filter and strainer recommend Simi synthetic. Cartridge filter, tool kit and electric compartment. In India these bikes are part of livelihood.
The bad everywhere you go people want to know how old it is and talk about the old days, which I miss and have this bike because I can't afford to keep an old BSA Triumph or Norton going. It can go 200k if maintained right. Never uses a drop of oil. Almost wish it would leak a few drops for nostalgia:rider:

Last edited:
Jack come to T dale and ride mine PM me when you want I have two bikes we can take a ride. They all use the same motor but GT is 535, but same performance. They have hydraulic valves. and auto unloader for start kick or electric. FI on gas but looks like carburetor. John Deere torque 90 degree turn in 4th. gear pop pop pop. They have as much aftermarket parts as a KLR.
All kinds of videos on crossing Himalayans in Indian on them. Unbelievable carry on weight I think 500# plus
I took the cat. muffler off and ordered this sweet sound from England. Handles on a rail, no bs.

Don't forget the optional tiller attachment.:lol2:

One of my PHD students is from India. He has one in his parents shed, stored for his return. He thinks it is the best bike ever.

Howdy Jack. Where have you been? By the way, are you related to the Giesecke that was "The Architect of TAMU?"

Been living the good life out here in the woods, Dennie. I've been asked more'n once about that professor at A&M, Make McDermott asked me once. My standard answer is "probably". I mean, there's only something under 200 Gieseckes in Texas. My ancestor came in to Calveston around 1836 and settled in Brazoria, so if there's a relation, it[s likely distant.

Say, Duncan Paul told me they're going to have the last race ever at TWS this October. I hear the last time they had a "last race ever", lots of old racers showed up. I might get up there, don't know.

Missed Tommy Byars Sr.'s funeral in Beaumont a while back. He was a real icon of Texas racing from WAY back. I just didn't wanna drive that far with my eyes the way they are in unfamiliar territory and through the middle of Houston. I get these eyes fixed in November when I get Medicare....yeah, medicare. I never made it to the first racer to be covered by medicare. :lol2:

I might take you up on that test ride, sometime, W. I'm in no hurry to buy anything, but I sure am thinkin' about it. :D Man, this Royal Enfield thing sounds WAY better than I'd figured. I know there'll be no more wheelies for me, but hey, that keeps an old squid out of trouble, right? :lol2: And, 80 MPG.....WOW. Only reason I like that GT is the cafe styling. It takes me back. :D AND, I'm acquainted with vibration. I had to loctite everything on this Yamaha SRX racer I bought 18 years ago. That thing was a paint shaker, highly modified, the counter balancer was removed, thing made about 60 BHP. The vibration caused many a DNF. LOL In the real world, I had 1979 XS650SF Yamaha that vibrated parts off from time to time. That bike introduced me to locktite. I was riding my KLR home when I lived in Corpus and the shifter vibrated off right in the middle of Staples just south of SPID where the traffic is miserable. Fortunately, I was able to get it home as I didn't live far from there. I locktited the new shifter AND safety wired a bunch of stuff on the thing, take no chances. LOL If I get this Enfield, I'll probably have 30 lbs of safety wire on the thing before I ride it too far. :rofl: That, and the blue loctite should help. I ain't planning to make a ride to Colorado on the thing, my touring days are pretty much over,, but heck, I took that XS650 to Colorado once. Of course, I was MUCH younger. :lol2:

Oh, another bonus on that GT is the front brake, a Brembo caliper. Not sure if it's a 4 pot or 2, but it's probably a good brake if Brembo makes it. I also like the piggy back shocks on the rear, remote reservoir. Not sure how they work, but they do look cool. :lol2: Be nice if all I had to do is set sag on the thing, maybe thicken the fork oil or something. I could do springs, though, pretty cheap. Ain't like I'm going to put the thing on the track, but I'm just sort of tired of that KLR wallowing around corners. :lol2:

You can test ride GT at Bodacious in huge parking lot, just take gear. Pegs were too far back and bars too low for me, but a beautiful bike. I liked the yellow GT. They have great brakes, and no ABS :thumb: The side car one is real cool.
I got the 8 " headlight, best I have ever had and can roast hotdogs on it. They come with Avon tires I still have originals and will get over 10k on them.
The funny thing is they are assembling them in England now and a big demand. The British made a mistake when they sold RE to the ZAR of India in I think 1955. India with Gandhi's help earned their independence. They assemble them for British till 1955, I think. Then bought the operation. Check out (Amritsar Massacre 13 of April 1919.) just one event of civil disobedience. The movie Gandhi(four academy awards 1983) depicts the revolution well. That is basically how India acquired the Royal Enfield. Check out some of the places Alex Chacon a University of Texas alumni, has ridden them on You-tube or modern motto diaries.com.
I may be wrong on dates, it's been awhile since I researched it. Found interesting RE left England and now is back in part.
I ordered a bash plate for mine.
" Built Like a Gun" is their slogan, but old Enfield rifles in WW1 I guess they were ok, think they were American and British 303 caliber 7.7mm. number built 2,193,429 built weighed 9.1 lbs. 600 yds. effective range, 1917 design and used up to Korean and some in Vietnam wars.
Royal Enfield "Flying Flea" dropped by parachute 1.5 hp. 98cc two stroke, used by airborne in WW2, very successful. 126# bike, copied from German DKW. They were produced by RE till 50's. Wish I had one.

Last edited:
OOoooooh, SIDE CAR????? Now, you have my attention. :D I'd been considering a Ural rig so the wife can go, but they're pricey and I don't trust 'em for the money they cost. I've been to Daytona and all over on my old VX800/Velorex rig. But, all I'd do with one now is little day rides.

Last edited:
RE may be my next bike. I like the bullet. I wonder which seat is more suitable for long rides, the solo or the double? Any U. S. of A. sources of farkles that fit?

Ken come ride mine anytime . Or this fall I head up your way The solo with pillion option, on gravel I SLIDE BACK ON PILLION TO LIGHTEN FRONT END. the C5 CLASIC IS GOOD, BUT I WOULD GET THE desert tan military IN FLAT PAINT IF I GOT ANOTHER or flat military green. They have a red and chrome too.
the MOTORS HAVE A 1000 MILE BREAK IN WITH FIRST OIL AT ABOUT 500 MILES. Have to keep below 50 various rpm's. They are weird they don't change per year, but by updates but have been same since 2010 when they went unit and fuel injection and catalytic for import to USA and Europe. Its not a bike for everyone so test one first and read ride reports. Motorcycle Consumer News rates them fair like all bikes they test. They have a dual sport 400cc that just came out The Himalayan mono shock.

Last edited:
Not to be a downer to this thread, but a guy here at work has one and it has been nothing but problems for him. It is about 1 1/2 years old, 1500 miles, and is garage kept. During the first year it was in the shop 4 different times for a total of 3 months.

When he does ride it, he tells me that anything above 50 or so MPH is so rough on vibration that the mirrors are useless. His tach vibrated itself to bits and needed to be replaced, and his mirrors will never stay in place despite copious amounts of loc-tite to secure them. He went through 3 different engine side covers until they could finally find one that matched the "curves" of the sealing surface enough so that the engine didn't leak oil.

He now has a little Harley Sportster and is looking to possibly get rid of his Enfield if you are looking for one. ;)

Lemons happen. I probably am the only guy on the planet that hated his XS650 Yamaha. It spend more time on my work bench than in the frame. :rolleyes: But, I'm pretty sure I know why, now that I'm advanced and "mature". :lol2: I rode the snot out of that thing. It had a high volume, low pressure oil pump and roller bearing crank. I think it lacked adequate oil flow at high RPMs. I mostly had problems when I was riding the snot out of it. It's the only 4 stroke I actually SEIZED a piston on. I did that a lot on modified RDs, but a 4 stroke?

But, live and learn.

After hearing all of his riding stories in the first 1500 miles of ownership, this ride review sums things up about right.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PgxDb_3vEU"]2015 Royal Enfield Continental GT: Loz isn't cool enough for this bike... - YouTube[/ame]

I seriously looked at buying a Royal Enfield a few years ago. I mainly prefer Triumphs, though.

I've been told that Royal Enfield even makes a diesel motorcycle but there are only one or two of them in the US.

To Jack, I haven't seen you in maybe 40 years now. My brother, Chris, and I are both back up in the Panhandle. Chris sold his old Harley trike (with a picture of Willie Nelson painted on the gas tank) years ago. I think that he's regretted it ever since.

Eric I am going to test ride the new 2019 interceptor or GT 650 twin if they ever get it in stock in Texas. I think they are selling them on west coast. They have been on the road in India for over a year. I never had a moment trouble with my 500 single which I sold recently. I get tired of any bike after a few years, got rid of 650 Wee as well. To me the RE was more fun than the V-Strom. We will see go to Royal Enfield USA for dealer videos.

Back