• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inspection fee?

Hmm

Reaction score
I just inspected my bike on Thursday 7/30 and I am sending Texas.gov my money for registration. I paid 7.00 for inspection but what the heck is the 7.50 fee for Inspection Fee - TLMC for on the registration receipt for? I've never taken the time to read the fine print on the reciept in the past.

The inspection used to cost more, things changed so now you pay $7 to the inslector, and $7.50 to the state.
The inspection station no longer issues stickers.

Reactions: JMZ
I recall inspections were $14 before TXDOT went to new system.

Are you saying that you paid $14.50 for an inspection? If that's the case I think something is wrong.

It used to be that much when you had an inspection sticker but when TX did away with those and went to requiring an electronic inspection to renew your registration they increased their annual registration fee and dropped the price of the inspection fee. I believe now that inspection stations keep that $7 for their service and none if forwarded to the state.

When Texas initiated the "one sticker" policy two or three years ago, registration became the only sticker required. Prior to this, the total inspection fees were collected by the inspection station. The inspection station would then send Texas their portion of the fee. Now, the inspection station only collects their portion of the fee. And Texas now collects their portion when the vehicle is registered. This change is the same for any vehicle requiring inspection, including your car/truck.

They called it the Texas Two Step when they launched the program. I remember the mailer that year...

yep, just had my 2500hd inspected, it was $7.

I love my older bikes. My registration lasts 5 years, no inspection. I just go to my local Kroger with my paperwork from the state make my payment and walk out with my sticker. A whole lot faster than waiting on the state, especially with this coved-19 mess going on. They can't do everything like transfers just processing registration fees.

Well we know that the government will never, ever do away with a tax or fee!
We moved here 6 years ago. At the time I had a total of 11 motor vehicles, well 2 were trailers. Got hit with a "new to Texas" fee of $90 per
vehicle for the sin of buying them in another state.

Reactions: Vec
Back when I did inspection we collected the total fee but had to buy the window sticker from the state for about half the total cost of the sticker , since the inspection station doesn’t put the window sticker on any more they only collect their share of the fee the state tacks their share on to the cost of your tags but doesn’t give you **** , it’s just another add on tax . Oh the inspection station also has to buy the computer and diagagnostits equipment required by the state to be able to do inspections at around 50,000 bucks years ago when this system came along . The reason I quit doing inspections .

Just bought a truck antique plates were good till 2023. They were canceled immediately and given paper plate till new antique plates arrive which are good till 2025. Of course I think a 68 dollar charge and taxes on sale. At least there is no inspection ever.

When I moved to Louisiana 5 years ago from Texas, I was required to pay the difference in tax between TX and LA, I think is was 5% to 10.25%. It was a cool $1000 for get it registered. I'm glad I only had one car and a basketcase bike in my name at the time.

When I moved to Louisiana 5 years ago from Texas, I was required to pay the difference in tax between TX and LA, I think is was 5% to 10.25%. It was a cool $1000 for get it registered. I'm glad I only had one car and a basketcase bike in my name at the time.

Yabbut, unless it's changed since i was there (and it probably has since that was nearly 22yrs ago), bike registration was $12 for FOUR years and car/truck reg'n was $20/4yrs. Still, the make-up-the-difference tax thing could hurt. IIRC, I paid something like $1200 on a '81 Eldo when I brought it down from Virgina in '91.

When I lived in AZ only Maricopa and Pima (Phoenix & Tucson) counties had to have emission inspections. But you had to go to the state inspection stations and they weren't at every corner. When it first started out, back in 75, all motorcycles were due in January along with auto's and big trucks that also expired in January, what a mess. Trying to get through after work but before they closed at 8 was almost impossible. Then they decided that all vehicles needed to be put on the dyno! That included motorcycles! You were on the bike, the bike wasn't tied down, you could refuse to put the bike on the rollers which many rides did. Then, as we all knew it would, a bike went off the rollers and shot across the inspection bay destroyed a printer and did a lot of damage to the bike. Then and only then did they stop putting motorcycles on the rollers. The state paid for the repairs to the bike.
I also questioned then Gov. Symington why it was that if you bought a new car you got a 2 year pass on getting emissions but if you bought a new bike in December you had to take it in for the emission check in January. Shortly after that, the law / rule was changed.
As a side note, when the emission law took effect it was for cars and trucks 13 years or newer. Then as older cars dropped off the state saw a drop in revenue so they changed the law to when the first emission equipment were installed on cars which was 67 and all those vehicles were back in the pool.

I just inspected my bike on Thursday 7/30 and I am sending Texas.gov my money for registration. I paid 7.00 for inspection but what the heck is the 7.50 fee for Inspection Fee - TLMC for on the registration receipt for? I've never taken the time to read the fine print on the reciept in the past.
Must be something local to you. I've inspected four bikes at two different inspection stations over the last two weeks, all $7. No additional fees.

Must be something local to you. I've inspected four bikes at two different inspection stations over the last two weeks, all $7. No additional fees.
Its not a 'local to you" charge. The 7.50 is a charge on the registration that's in addition to the 7 the inspection station charges. Chk your receipt out. Here's mine.

Turning into a fee world. Milam county is 7 dollars for bike . Auto gets no emission fee

At least there is no inspection ever.

In order to qualify for Texas antique vehicle registration, your vehicle must be at least 25 years old,
and can only be used on a limited basis such as car shows, exhibitions, parades, and travel to
and from repair and maintenance facilities.

Its not a 'local to you" charge. The 7.50 is a charge on the registration that's in addition to the 7 the inspection station charges. Chk your receipt out.
Ah, gotcha. I knew I only paid $7 at the inspection station. My bad. Reading comprehension challenged. :mrgreen:

My new antique plate :) good to 2025. I drive 2-3 times a week even stop and talk to police friend of mine. Guess rules are made to be broken. I try to at least break one a day, especially if it helps someone. This girl turns 40 this year.

My new antique plate :) good to 2025. I drive 2-3 times a week even stop and talk to police friend of mine. Guess rules are made to be broken. I try to at least break one a day, especially if it helps someone. This girl turns 40 this year.
The Tx rules for antique is vague overall. Basically so long as you are not using it as your daily driver you will be fine.
You can justify driving it almost anytime by saying you are doing a maintenance test on it.
Here is a good take on it.

I drive my '94 as my daily so I went with Classic plates (actually have a plate from 1994).

The Tx rules for antique is vague overall. Basically so long as you are not using it as your daily driver you will be fine.
You can justify driving it almost anytime by saying you are doing a maintenance test on it.
Here is a good take on it.

I drive my '94 as my daily so I went with Classic plates (actually have a plate from 1994).
Your braking a rule like me. :clap: It is weird with no window sticker. Course rule breaking can cost.
What is your 94?

Back