• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Insurance Advice

Reaction score
I`m dropping the Gecko. Just got my renewal almost fainted at the amount for 3 bikes 2 with liability only.. A DR650, KTM 500 liability only and a Yam S-10 full coverage. Who do you guys recommend??? :eek2:

Progressive. I pay $900 a year for full replacement (as in they will buy me a new equivalent bike if it was totaled) on a new BMW. All my other 4 liabilities cost about $40 a year added on. I also pay about $30 for towing and trip interruption coverage.

Last edited:
I have Allstate on my KLR and it is the minimum. It's $90 a year

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Progressive for 4 years now.

16 KTM 1290 SA is a tick under $300 full coverage with burglary and accessory coverage.

Two XR650Ls and a 82 CB750F SS (plated antique and agreed upon value) are ~$100 liability, comprehensive and burglary

I also have a comprehensive rider that covers a trailer during transport.

My progressive for liability only has always been $77...and I definitely price shopped all the big names

I've been with Progressive for years. Prices are good, and when I got hit by a crazy person & her fly-by-night insurance company tried to stiff me, Progressive payed instead, then stayed in the battle for 6 months, & kept me informed of the progress, until the other company finally capitulated.

Still, shop other companies because, well, insurance rates are more unpredictable than Texas weather in tornado season.

Progressive. But I have older bikes so I go with liability only as per the law. Very cheap. I'm so far ahead on not paying full coverage I've paid for a replacement bike several times over.

Dave.

:thumb::thumb:
Progressive. But I have older bikes so I go with liability only as per the law. Very cheap. I'm so far ahead on not paying full coverage I've paid for a replacement bike several times over.

Dave.

My thoughts too dropped my 2009 Tacoma to minimal this year too.

Definitely drop full coverage on an older vehicle.

And I also run my deductibles to $1000. I stashed away the premium savings into a savings account and it didn't take long to save enough to pay the deductibles if ever needed.

I've normally used direct insurance contact and had great results. After getting insurance bills with rising premiums, I contacted Dan Herrera with TWFG Insurance, (832) 364 6630

He not only saved money on the bike insurance, he cut the auto insurance in half! Very helpful and pleasant to deal with, give him a call, can't hurt. No I have no financial interest in his business

I too have Progressive. With 3 bikes, all with liability only and supplemental medical on Rachel and I; we are out $135 a year.

Progressive... Full coverage on a 2017 Honda CRF 250L and Liability plus uninsured motorist on a 2003 V strom 1000. $174 a year.

basic liability and Progressive for myself. 77 a year as well on my 2009 Versys. I paid 2500 for the bike so I can't see myself spending 1000 deductible and the extra each month/year to cover 1500 bucks of bike.

I'll admit I don't "save the difference" between full and minimum costs anywhere though.

I realize I didn't recommend anything. I am not recommending you do what I have done. It was only info.

My recommendation is consider what you can afford to lose. If you can't see your life without your bike, then maybe full coverage is for you. If you can replace the bike easily without insurance helping, then maybe full coverage isn't for you.

When I had a Super Tenere, Progressive classified it as a 1200cc sport bike. The cost to insure was outrageous. I switched to Safeco and it was much better. I think the difference was $1000 with Progressive to $100 with Safeco.

I`m dropping the Gecko. Just got my renewal almost fainted at the amount for 3 bikes 2 with liability only.. A DR650, KTM 500 liability only and a Yam S-10 full coverage. Who do you guys recommend??? :eek2:

Ive been payin $450+ a year on a 3 bike policy with Dairyland.... Coverage similar to your coverage
S10 - liability collision & comp $50k property $100k 300k bodily w passenger
Wee Strom & Versys - liability only

The other day I dropped the Versys & added the Scrambler....no major change
Wanted to add the Husky...but would hafta switch to a 4 bike policy....

I just got the quote back on all 4 bikes
S10 - same liability coll & comp
Strom Scrambler & Terra - all liability only

$309 a year for 4 bikes vs $490 for 3 !!! ??Its a weird weird world

My Dairyland policy comes up for renewal on the 22nd
Im thinkin of adding better coverage on the Ten
UPDATE.... I talked to my agent about various upgrades...
Vehicle replacement is only avail on 3yr old or newer ..that leaves me out!
Uninsured motorist bumps the policy from $309 to $600+ per year!!
Adding Coll & comp to the Strom is only $60 xtra a year

My car insurance has always been pretty reasonable thru Liberty or Travellers on all those old 87-91 Camrys Ive had
Liability was under $325 a year
But when I started driving the 2014 Camry with full coverage....$1000+

I switched to Farm Bureau.... $600 full for a year

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone know of cheap insurance for dirt only? I could actually care less about liability as they are not road, but really just want theft and fire. If they are stolen from my home or burn in a fire I'm out. If it has wheels and a title HO insurance scoffs and laughs at you.

Back