• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Insurance Quotes Crazy Differential

Our motorcycle insurance is expiring on 7/21 and I've been shopping for a month. Can't figure out what the heck is going on with insurance companies and pricing. Anyone have thoughts?

Current insurance w/Liberty Mutual renewal is $700+ annual and $1000 deductible on a 2014 V-Strom 650
Foremost (AARP) quote for same policy is $750+
Geico is $600+
Progressive is $290 for the exact same policy from what I can tell reading things

What the heck!!!!

If Progressive is really almost $500 less, how can we not pass that pricing up??

I talked to our LM agent. He said get it if you can. They can't touch that pricing on motorcycles.
Wow! I've been with LM for 6 years now and for two bikes, 2010 KLX250 and a 2008 KLR650 full coverage on both with $500 deductable is right at $400 a year for both bikes. Before I was with a company that was recommended by the MC shop I purchased the 2010 from. Both bikes with the same amount of coverage with a higher deductable was twice as LM.
Understand about change. I think sometimes when you've been with a company that provides a service for a while (cable, internet or insurance) they thinkyou'll pay for their service without questioning the rate. After 22 years with Farmers we changed our auto and home insurance. Funny because even showing them the comparison of coverage and quote from another nation wide company the Farmers agent pretty much said the same thing, "get it if you can." Guess what we did and never looked back. We also cut the cable after being with the same provider for 15 years. They stopped giving loyality discounts so we stopped giving them our business.

Always good to question and shop around.

Biggest reason prices vary by a big margin is the amount and types of coverage. Make sure what you will be getting matches what you already have.

I was recently shocked at the amount extra they charged me to add my scooter onto my insurance. I mean, seriously? I can't ride all three at the same time. It's only liability on all three bikes. Why on earth does it cost one penny extra for a third bike? It's not like it actually adds any additional risk.

I would be shopping this insurance but I just renewed for a year, so I guess I'll have to rev back up my indignation next summer and go looking for something else. Who knows how many strays I will have collected by then.

Biggest reason prices vary by a big margin is the amount and types of coverage. Make sure what you will be getting matches what you already have.
Over $500 at Dairyland went down to $149 at Progressive for 4 bikes. Liability only with the same amount per accident. Dairyland called my FZ10 a sport bike. That was the big difference.

Our motorcycle insurance is expiring on 7/21 and I've been shopping for a month. Can't figure out what the heck is going on with insurance companies and pricing. Anyone have thoughts?

Current insurance w/Liberty Mutual renewal is $700+ annual and $1000 deductible on a 2014 V-Strom 650
Foremost (AARP) quote for same policy is $750+
Geico is $600+
Progressive is $290 for the exact same policy from what I can tell reading things

What the heck!!!!

If Progressive is really almost $500 less, how can we not pass that pricing up??

I talked to our LM agent. He said get it if you can. They can't touch that pricing on motorcycles.
Just recently renewed and Progressive was by far the cheapest for my bike.

I don't carry full coverage on any bike that's not financed (which I usually don't do with toys like bikes). That said, I absolutely carry comprehensive in addition to liability. I generally agree with the other posters that you can probably afford repairs on just about any damage short of a total loss. But comp is important to me because it covers theft. And it's a relatively cheap addition to your policy.

I have full coverage on my Tenere , KTM 500, and my golf cart through Progressive and it cost me 333 a year. I'm married to my insurance agent and she says to call her for a quote 🙂. Mine actually went down this year.

She also said Houston has the highest insurance rates in the state of Texas .

That's why I moved to Galveston County back in the '80s; insurance dropped 18% by moving to the other side of Clear Creek on I-45.

Nueces County has higher rates also. One can move across the bay to San Patricio County and see a huge savings. Nueces County was (maybe still) rated number one in
Obesity
Diabetes
Teen Pregnacy
HS dropouts

So much to be proud of!

I’m at $151 per year with Progressive for a PCX 150cc scooter, vstrom 1000, XT250 & CB500x. Liability only on all except the vstrom has roadside assistance. The strange thing is the scooter is over half of the premium at $89 per year.

I’m at $151 per year with Progressive for a PCX 150cc scooter, vstrom 1000, XT250 & CB500x. Liability only on all except the vstrom has roadside assistance. The strange thing is the scooter is over half of the premium at $89 per year.
A scooter is more likely to be a first motorcycle than any other type of motorcycle.

The strange thing is the scooter is over half of the premium at $89 per year.
A scooter is more likely to be a first motorcycle than any other type of motorcycle.

I was shocked to find adding my Vino 125 scooter (liability only, three bikes total now) added $41 to the bill, which was like 30%. It is mystifying how this can happen. I mean, I can't ride more than one of them at a time, how can there be 30% more risk? Especially for liability. Like, how is a 220 lb scooter going to do damage to another's property?

Umm, whatever about Soros....

When I removed my beloved wee, it dropped my 6 month premium by a whopping $4.63. (Progressive)

I've been with Progressive for over 10 years. The prices are consistently low; that was true in Texas, and now in Colorado. And when I got knocked down by a careless driver a decade ago and her insurance company tried to stiff me, Progressive was there for me.

My cars & house are with Farmers. I've asked my agent why rates are so unpredictable. She just shakes her head & says "It's a mystery; nobody can figure it out."

Back