• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting (dirt)roads between S. College Station and Montgomery?

HiSPL

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Weaver
So I'm commuting between these two spots daily. I basically go to Carlos hit 244 to Anderson, then 149 through the forest to Montgomery. I'm riding a V-Strom 1000 with 50-50 tires. Are there any dirt/gravel/fire roads that I could take that would generally parallel this route? I want to get back into the habit of riding on loose surfaces again to keep the chops up.

Pick up the Cheeseburger loop from Carlos/Yankees tavern.

There are some dirt roads in the area, but your speed will be much lower, so a longer drive. Also, they tend to be less direct than just taking the highways.

Before you reach Carlos, head South on CR 190. It passes through the old coal mines that used to power the Gibbens Reservoir Power station in Carlos. It drops you out on FM 3090. Turn right on 3090 and go a very short distance to the beginning of CR 185. Run this almost all the way to Anderson and it drops out on FM 149 just outside of town. At Anderson, head South on CR 405 (just West of town off HWY 90). Turn left on CR 406, right on CR 446, left on CR 215, and then run 215 across FM 1774 to CR 212. Turn left on 212 and run that over to FM 1486. Then run FM 1486 South to Dacus and cross the rail road tracks on to Johnson Rd., which drops you out onto FM 1097 NW of Montgomery. You can either run that on into Montgomery or I like to run Bailey Grove Rd., over to FM 149, then head down into Montgomery. If you go left on 1097 just a hundred feet or so, Bailey Grove Rd., will be on your right. It is paved, as is all of Johnson Rd.

Coal mines? Anything interesting to see there?

Nope. It was open pit mining. It played out and the mine closed. Most of the property was sold off. There are lakes where the pits were, so people built homes and have private lakes. The only road open to the public is CR 190 and there isn't much to see. It is nothing like the stuff you see up in the mountains of Colorado where there are abandoned structures and such. In fact, if you did not previously know there had been mines there, there is nothing to tip you off when you come through the area. CR 190 is mostly just a long straight gravel road through the mining area and then it has some curves near the South end before it reaches FM 3090. I do occasionally see some BIG hawks and even eagles sitting on top of the power line poles along the road ;-)

Nope. It was open pit mining. It played out and the mine closed. Most of the property was sold off. There are lakes where the pits were, so people built homes and have private lakes. The only road open to the public is CR 190 and there isn't much to see. It is nothing like the stuff you see up in the mountains of Colorado where there are abandoned structures and such. In fact, if you did not previously know there had been mines there, there is nothing to tip you off when you come through the area. CR 190 is mostly just a long straight gravel road through the mining area and then it has some curves near the South end before it reaches FM 3090. I do occasionally see some BIG hawks and even eagles sitting on top of the power line poles along the road ;-)
Ahhhh bummer! That would have been a cool piece of history to check out!

There are some dirt roads in the area, but your speed will be much lower, so a longer drive. Also, they tend to be less direct than just taking the highways.

Yeah I know. It's kinda the point though. I already head through the forest as-is. I could get to work 10-15 minutes sooner going 6 to 105, but booooring....

Plus this is all about getting my sea-legs back by riding some dirt. It's been quite a few years.

I wish I had the option to do something similar. I would as well.

I work at a Church. On Sundays I get off around 1. On Mondays and Wednesdays I don't have to be there until 1 or 2 in the afternoon and I work late.

I figure 2 or 3 times a week I can stretch my commute out and have a little tour-de-montgomery.

Back