• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting

It's not that you need to go faster, you just have to let the front end wander and stay on the gas. With all your riding time in the SHNF, I would think sand would be the last thing in the world you'd be worried about :shrug:

You should know by now I have no (zero) skills.

I remember that crap.

Rode a friend’s Vstrom (650) in some sand at Big Bend - way too much forward biased weight for sand.
Just ate it big time on the Strom in sand last time out. Was going pretty fast and then the handlebars started tank slapping, my life flashed before my eyes and suddenly the bike was about 10 yards behind me!🤣🤣

Just ate it big time on the Strom in sand last time out. Was going pretty fast and then the handlebars started tank slapping, my life flashed before my eyes and suddenly the bike was about 10 yards behind me!🤣🤣
Ohh... I've come close to your description but always end up slowing to prevent the catastrophe
Please be careful. These storms are really fun but she has a vicious BITE

My worst ejection seat occurance catapulted me about 10 feet ahead of my sulking V-Strom. I took the wrong line on Big Bend's old ore road and clipped the bed rock with my skid plate. The knee went a little wonky for a while after that because I was not wearing armored riding pants then.

Yep, I was never so happy to have had all my gear on. Only lost a little skin and was sore for about a week.

The reason I was riding that friend’s Strom is because she hit some sand, lost the front end, whiskey throttled going down, and launch it up on a big flat rock. Fortunately neither she nor the bike were hurt somehow. Amazing thing about the Strom, there wasn’t even a scratch on the crash bars!

The strom is an amazingly tough bike but I need to quit using it like a dirt bike. I crunched the left brush guard in new mexico but it saved the clutch from damage.

I was leading a group GS riders through some sound south of Sublime. When I looked in the mirror one new guy was in a tank slapper. I started looking for a place to turn around, but in a moment he came roaring up beside me. Later I asked him how he saved it and he referred to another rider's advice. "I just gassed it."

When I'm riding sand I'm always looking for a place to shed some speed because I know if I get sloppy the only way out is to add some speed.

I was leading a group GS riders through some sound south of Sublime. When I looked in the mirror one new guy was in a tank slapper. I started looking for a place to turn around, but in a moment he came roaring up beside me. Later I asked him how he saved it and he referred to another rider's advice. "I just gassed it."

When I'm riding sand I'm always looking for a place to shed some speed because I know if I get sloppy the only way out is to add some speed.

For some reason, many riders like to clump together. When I see sand, if I am not leading, I will sometimes either slow down or even stop to allow the rider in front of me to get far ahead so I can run the speed I want without worrying about having to slow down as I come up on them later. It is not that I go crazy fast, I just tend to go a bit faster than many people like to go in the sand. The same thing is true when we hit deep/loose gravel.

Back