• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: International Motorcycle Show 2021

I was going to go, then I heard about the concealed carry expo in Ft Worth and decided to go to that instead. Then today I went to the gun range and spent all my money so now I'm not doing either this weekend.

Just curious, you think there will be that much to do and see that'll take that much time? Last few I've gone to I was in and out in 2-3 hours.
I don’t know for sure. I do know that there are at least 4 bikes that I want to demo so that will probably take some time. I’m on the hunt for new riding pants, and I want to sit on all the things.

I’m booking most of the day but we shall see how it goes.

I was there all day yesterday and had a ball. Test rode a couple of bikes, talked with a ton of people, saw old friends and made some new ones.
I’ll be there all day tomorrow, mostly hanging out near the vintage bikes. Mine is the ‘41 Indian.
I’d like to hear what bikes y’all try and what you think of them!

4EFD5331-856C-48E6-AB20-BBE0EE6B828A.jpeg

Just got back. Probably spent 2-3 hours there. Bit disappointed Moto Liberty wasn't there as I wanted some new gloves.

Did get a chance to ride the Harley Pan America. Very impressed. You could take it on your own and follow a well marked 17 mile loop at whatever speed you were comfortable.

Bike is smaller than expected and significantly lower than my 1290. Looked way better in person than in pictures. Seat was in low position which I would raise immediately. Very 'mechanical' feel about it but still sophisticated. Incredibly stable at very high speeds. Power was very good especially above 5k. All the sales guys were very professional and knowledgeable. I could definitely see me considering one in the future.

Also sat on the FJR. Love that bike. Had an 04 and 13 over a span of 13 years and if my knees would agree to it I'd like to get another.

I figured out the secret to finding it: Drive around the track/stadium until you see an overpass. Drive under it & through the tunnel & you're there. No signs anywhere & if you ask directions most people don't know there's a motorcycle show. Parking is free & you don't have to drive in downtown Dallas! Otherwise it was a small show. Probably the lingering effects of COVID. Like the past few years I couldn't stop staring at the Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor. A guy working there said a test rider burnt the brake on a Kawasaki Z400 so it wasn't available. Probably rode around with their foot on the rear brake. I'm looking at bikes I can pick up when I'm older. Sold my Vstrom & got a Honda NC700X. Next bike might be a Kawasaki Z400 or CB300. Eventually I'll be on a Grom. Next week I'm 65. Didn't think I'd ride 49 years.

Just curious, you think there will be that much to do and see that'll take that much time? Last few times I've gone to I was in and out in 2-3 hours.
We got there at 10am on the dot and left at 4pm and I was entertained the entire time.

It wasn’t the usual motorcycle show. The vendor area was quite small so I was a little bummed with that but the sizes of the demo fleets more than made up for it. I was able to demo most of the bikes on my hit list, had a good lunch at Torchy’s, watched a famous to everyone but me ADV guy give a really good clinic on how to pick up your fallen motorcycle, talked to a really knowledgeable guy about active ear protection for our “other” hobby, messed around with a diesel motorcycle for a bit, and looked long and hard at a Zero for a commuter bike.

It was a darn good day and well worth the price of admission.

Spent most of Saturday at TMS. Great demo opportunities.

A bit light on the gear side.

Biggest surprise was the Livewire electric bike. Incredible acceleration.

Spent most of Saturday at TMS. Great demo opportunities.

A bit light on the gear side.

Biggest surprise was the Livewire electric bike. Incredible acceleration.
Yes, a lot of great demo opportunities. Which I really like. I'd rather go to the show and ride a bunch of bikes than look at gear and just sit on them.

EVs in general are fun. But the motorcycles (and most EVs) are expensive, don't have the range, and there is no charging infrastructure where I like to ride. I own a Tesla car and they're fun around town, but traveling with them is a challenge. Better stay near the interstate. I went to Bandera this week from Fort Worth. If I took the Tesla, I would have had to stay on I-35, and we know how much fun that is. If I took my truck, I could have traveled on 281. I took the truck.

I was there all day Friday and all day Sunday. I hung around the antique bikes a lot and talked to some folks about the antique bike club (and showed off my Indian) and I had a GREAT time riding demo bikes.
The traction control on the Pan American won't allow wheelies. I'm sure you can turn it off, I didn't fool with it while riding.
The Sportster S was a lot more fun than the Indian FTR1200, but I would probably be better off with something slower than either. Both felt pretty happy in triple digits.
I preferred the Harley Softail over the Indian Cruiser. I WANTED to love the Indian bikes, but was a little disappointed with them. A friend rode a couple of their dressers and said he loved them.
The Zero was about like everyone says. I would add that the staff there was VERY nice and knowledgeable, and they gave away t-shirts!
I'll try to have a custom bike to enter next year.
I'll bring my own riding gear next year.
I'll try to ride even more bikes next year.

I liked the TMS location a lot better than downtown Dallas. I think the one thing they could add is an overnight camping area, that would be cool.

I was there all day Friday and all day Sunday. I hung around the antique bikes a lot and talked to some folks about the antique bike club (and showed off my Indian) and I had a GREAT time riding demo bikes.
The traction control on the Pan American won't allow wheelies. I'm sure you can turn it off, I didn't fool with it while riding.
The Sportster S was a lot more fun than the Indian FTR1200, but I would probably be better off with something slower than either. Both felt pretty happy in triple digits.
I preferred the Harley Softail over the Indian Cruiser. I WANTED to love the Indian bikes, but was a little disappointed with them. A friend rode a couple of their dressers and said he loved them.
The Zero was about like everyone says. I would add that the staff there was VERY nice and knowledgeable, and they gave away t-shirts!
I'll try to have a custom bike to enter next year.
I'll bring my own riding gear next year.
I'll try to ride even more bikes next year.
I rode the Yamaha MT-09, the HD Sportster S, the Pan America, and then the Indian FTR. As far as the staff's in each manufacturer's area, Yamaha and Harley had nicest people there and they were helpful. Indian was a different story. I felt like I was bothering them. Sorta the same with Triumph when I went there to ride the Rocket 3 (I was told there were too many people in front of me to ride it).

The MT-09 was a blast to ride. A real smile maker. The engine in the Sportster S was nice, but the suspension punished me. And I had a hard time getting my big foot under the shifter. The PA felt the most comfortable as the only bikes I have really owned have been adv touring bikes. The FTR was fun, once I figured out how to put it in sport mode.

Yes, not having to ride to Dallas was very nice. Had I known there were so many bikes to ride, I might have went both Sat and Sun.

Back