• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

International Pie Run Day 2009

Wow, did you cut the cheese? No, I thought you did... cough... cough...
10957_1192850233332_1590692561_484843_8059256_n.jpg

It was the dog. :lol2:

- Bill

Enjoyed my first Pie Run as an offical member of the site. Robin and I capped it off by making a little 220 mile loop around Fort Worth and the south side of the metroplex to get back to the East side of Dallas. I only had my cell phone camera with me so just one not very good picture.
1031091309-00.jpg

Like I mentioned yesterday, we observed IPRD at Floyd's in Ingleside; here are the promised "pics or it never happened":

Me with a sliver of the Pecan:
SSPX0007.jpg

MsBehavin with a taste of the Lemon Meringue:
SSPX0008.jpg

Gearing up after the "show":
SSPX0009.jpg

the menu paper thing stated that bathrooms were added when the back dining room was built in 1978. before that there was a bucket next door in the blackmith shop.
... Yep that sounds about right --Early to mid 70s. Although the bucket must have been reserved for the help because they pointed us off down the FM to the old outside toilet on the side of an old service station a block and a half away. ----My wife wasn't too happy with it which kinda explains her reaction when I suggested pie at the PONDER Steak House.

man, i miss pie runs! hope to be back in the mix soon. looks like y'all had fun. keep up the good work Chuck!

Unfortunately the designated ride was just a bit too far from Houston and I had several other things that I needed to get done yesterday so I had to come up with an "alternative pie run"

In the time I had I grabbed a different kind of helmet:
DSCN3110.jpg

Grabbed a different kind of two wheeled vehicle:
DSCN3111.jpg

Said sorry to my motorcycle who was sitting in it's corner:
DSCN3112%20-%20Cropped.jpg

And headed out of the complex:
DSCN3113.jpg

Luckily I live in one of only a few areas of Houston where there is a bike trail. Although it is under construction right now so it's all grooved up:
DSCN3114.jpg

The ride was nice, the weather was wonderful, and the pie?
DSCN3118.jpg

It was pretty good too.

the menu paper thing stated that bathrooms were added when the back dining room was built in 1978. before that there was a bucket next door in the blackmith shop.
... Yep that sounds about right --Early to mid 70s. Although the bucket must have been reserved for the help because they pointed us off down the FM to the old outside toilet on the side of an old service station a block and a half away. ----My wife wasn't too happy with it which kinda explains her reaction when I suggested pie at the PONDER Steak House.

Dang, remind me to never give you a reason to hold a grudge!!!! Almost 40 years later and an owner change and still hate the place!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Awesome day to ride. Fall colors were nice. Traffic was light.
Sat with Bob from NY/Sugarland & had a nice burger.

698512265_NfiNV-L-2.jpg

Gary,
Great to see you again, thanks much for lunch and the pics of Suzy and Chucky. (that double cheeseburger basket was a killer, no room for pie. :doh:
Got out yesterday with Travis and the Magna for a nice 100 miler, was the first ride we've done together of any distance, we had a blast, didnt even have any opportunities to test the newly installed Stebel horn. :trust:

No Bill, We moved well away from the DFW area many years ago and haven't felt a need to fool around big city traffic especially on two wheels. We never even gave Ponder a thought until now and didn't really feel the need to see if they had changed any after all these years, but we did get a laugh thinking of our first visit. Had to sell the ranch in Mills County and moved to the Whitney Lake area because of health but this is as close to the big city as we plan on getting.

Yeah I spent my day taking my little brother to scope out bikes and whatnot. We now have a Victory dealership in town so we wanted to give it a look. Some of the bikes were nice, but occassionally out priced Harleys, which blew my mind.

Then we spent the remainder of the day finding stuff to make a Speed Racer costume for a party he had that night, he's always a Last Minute Larry.

Yeah I spent my day taking my little brother to scope out bikes and whatnot. We now have a Victory dealership in town so we wanted to give it a look. Some of the bikes were nice, but occassionally out priced Harleys, which blew my mind.

Then we spent the remainder of the day finding stuff to make a Speed Racer costume for a party he had that night, he's always a Last Minute Larry.

No pie? This is the Pie Run Report! :nana:

I have some photos but had barely recovered from my last trip and am out-of-town again. But I'll add them eventually. :doh:

I should have a pretty good count of who was there from the door prize entries. Bill (DFW_Warrior) won the Cli-Max battery tester (thanks Tom :thumb: ) by-the-way.

I think I counted 6 maxi-scooters, including Bergmans, an X9, and an MP3.

The Ponder Steakhouse has been a regular destination ever since the Pie Runs began almost 5 years ago... :eat:

Sorry Chuck, I don't do pie runs---Doctors Orders. No sugar and very low carbs so why go to sit and watch everyone else EAT THAT GOOD STUFF. Never thought of Ponder as a pie place--- Come to think of it I never thought of Ponder at all for many years. Just no reason to. Instead of Hutto I think maybe -Hill country and Del Rio (Laughlin Air Force Base for a few days for how ever long the body can hold up. And Bill no grudge. Heck I have eaten at Coyote Loco 4 times lately and got sick every time. I keep thinking they will change owners. Maybe fire Mary Melon would be better. My wife says I'm just DUMB for going back. She hasn't gotten sick but just not too crazy about the place so I guess I'll give up.:giveup::giveup::giveup:

for me, it's mostly about the people and the bikes. (I didn't even eat pie this time. ;-))

Going there - The wife, Susan (also known as tortuga), and I planned to meet Chris (sharkey) and Marcy (Mrs. sharkey) early on Saturday morning. Had to start out right with a mini-pie for breakfast:

pie_gps_0854q.JPG

Almost forgot the banner and I DID forget Bob. :doh:

Met them and Sean (Xdriver) at a local Shell station in west Arlington. Both Chris and I had routes - we decided to use his. We wandered out I30 and 199 and made our way up to Rhome where we took a pit stop:

stop_rhome_0859q.JPG

We then took FM407 and FM156 up to Ponder, getting there early. But we are never the earliest - a bunch were already there:

d70_7281q.JPG

Had to get the banner up to make it official:

d70_7283q.JPG

A family of interested lookers was there early and checking out all the bikes - they asked if it was OK to drop in - so I guess we didn't scare them off!

d70_7284q.JPG

Confirmed sitings of the elusive Elzi (TexasShadow) and Mike (Mike B) who can't look at the camera directly... ;-)

d70_7285q.JPG

I believe these 2 had His and Hers BMW GSs:

d70_7290q.JPG

d70_7291q.JPG

We were able to watch several folks roll in:

sockwell_7287q.JPG

d70_7295cq.JPG

d70_7297cq.JPG

d70_7298q.JPG

It's nice to bring your own photographer:

d70_7296cq.JPG

More arrivals:

d70_7299cq.JPG

d70_7301cq.JPG

d70_7300cq.JPG

d70_7304cq.JPG

What could be worse than EuroTrash? :eek2: ;-)

d70_7302q.JPG

d70_7303q.JPG

... well... Scooters! :eek2: :lol2:

scooters_7292q.JPG

scooters_7293q.JPG

Well, I rode in with two other scooters, so they can't be all that bad... :-P

d70_7308q.JPG

Still more folks motorin' in:

d70_7305q.JPG

d70_7306cq.JPG

Folks enjoying the variety of bikes that make it:

d70_7307q.JPG

And, of course, there's food:

d70_7309q.JPG

d70_7310q.JPG

d70_7312q.JPG

---

The nice folks at Cli-Max provided a door prize and I collected 55 entries - that means at leat 57 folks attended and a couple were a bit late. Here is the winner, Bill (DFW_Warrior) with eyes closed:

bill_7311q.JPG

---

For the most part, everyone got food and dessert. Some orders were a little slow but they eventually arrived. Sometimes that is what happens with big groups like ours. I hope that nobody was overly disappointed.

Thanks to all that came out. :thumb:

No pie? This is the Pie Run Report! :nana:

I have some photos but had barely recovered from my last trip and am out-of-town again. But I'll add them eventually. :doh:

I should have a pretty good count of who was there from the door prize entries. Bill (DFW_Warrior) won the Cli-Max battery tester (thanks Tom :thumb: ) by-the-way.

I think I counted 6 maxi-scooters, including Bergmans, an X9, and an MP3.

The Ponder Steakhouse has been a regular destination ever since the Pie Runs began almost 5 years ago... :eat:

Two X9's. Mine and Dons

So is there a rough count on how many ppl ran for pie, to how many locations around the globe, on IPRD 2009?

I can't help but notice the resembalance:

Dipstick.jpg

bill_7311q.JPG

Bill is thinking with his dipstick again. :mrgreen:

Back