• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Introduction

Mzungu

Reaction score
In summary, new to riding in 2012, so most of you will be a MUCH better rider than I am. Like exploring new places on dirt, but on pavement as well. Love meeting new people.

The back story...

Lived in Austin for 30 years, then moved to Colorado where, at the age of over 50, I took my first MSF course and got a license. Living near the Rocky Mountains, I learned to ride mostly on dirt roads and some trails in the Rockies. First bike was a DR-Z400S that I extensively customized for long-range, back-country travel.

In terms of style, I'm more of an explorer than Dakar racer, though I do love to watch the Dakar bike racers every year!

I lived in Nairobi, Kenya (East Africa) for nearly a year doing good work in some dodgy places for the UN in Eastern and Southern Africa.

Why the name "Mzungu?" My Kenyan driver, Patrick, dubbed me "my Mzungu," which in Swahili means - roughly - "white man wandering around." It's descriptive; not derogatory. The term originated when the first Europeans started exploring East Africa - Dr. Livingstone, I presume.

While in Africa, I completed a week-long, roughly 1200 mile trip (mostly on dirt roads) from Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls) thru Botswana (Okavango Delta, Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari Desert, etc.) to Johannesburg, South Africa. Bike was 2013 BMW R1200GS. Also rode an R1200 some in Nairobi (death defying) and a Husuberg FE 390 in Kenyan dirt, near where Karen Blixen lived, as chronicled in the movie "Out of Africa."

In 2014 I completed a solo "Giant loop through the West" trip, camping and staying in motels through Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, N. Dakota, S. Dakota and Wyoming back to Colorado. I visited many of the National Parks in those states and covered 3240 miles in a week and a half, again, on a 2013 R1200GS.

In 2016 moved from Colorado back to Austin. Before leaving Colorado, I sold the trusty DR-Z thinking that there would be little access to dirt in Texas -- and certainly not mountains -- but kept the R1200. Learning of this forum, I discovered -- to my delight -- that there is dirt here and was reminded that near here there is more dirt and mountains, (Big Bend, Mexico and the ever-enchanting Texas Hill Country), and so added a 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F to the stable. Let the adventure-enduro modifications -- and, indeed, the adventure itself - begin!

Looking forward to meeting all the good people in this forum in person real soon.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Mr. Livingstone, I hope you find our meager accommodations to your liking!

There's a bottle of Mrs. Balls in the cupboard.

Not too late to sign up for Big Bend in March. Lots of fun to be had there.

DOH!! Yet another person getting a 2017 500 EXC that does not include ME :tears: :lol2:

Welcome to the site! Given your travels, I doubt your riding skills will be lacking in any amount that matters ;-)

I hope you find our meager accommodations to your liking!
Not too late to sign up for Big Bend in March. Lots of fun to be had there.

Well I've stayed in meager accommodations, but I find this place superb! <pass the chutney, please>.

Thanks on Big Bend... not sure work schedule would allow for Big Bend this time, but sounds like a very exciting trip, and a must-do in the future!

Back