• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Introduction

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hubbard
Hello All

I am returning to riding after about a 12 year break. I grew up on dirt bikes, seems like a 100 years ago:). I have owned and ridden five different large street bikes from a Gold Wing to a Road King. I just purchased my new love, a 2012 KLR650. It is my first time in the dual sport world and I am excited about exploring all the back roads. I live in Waxahachie, Texas and have been out exploring the local area. Look forward to meeting guys and joining in on some rides. This forum is fantastic and tons of good information.

Howdy ! That’s some green grass for Texas. Look up @Jarrett and read his threads. Great guy and your neighbor.

Welcome to TWT. Go check out the Upcoming rides in the forum part of TWT that will get you in the middle of all planned rides that you can select from. Are you thinking of camping off the KLR? We do that here from time to time. We have a bunch of members that ride KLRs. What made you switch from big touring bikes to the Kawasaki? KP

Hey, welcome. Cool to have a new rider in town.

If you are on FB, check out Ellis County Adventure / Dual Sport Riders. We tend to put together local rides there.

I know of a bunch of cool dirt roads in the area if you want to take a spin sometime.

Have been glancing at upcoming rides. Would love to do the AR Sep ride just not sure I will be back from a DC trip in time. It may workout, we’ll just have to wait a bit to know for sure. Switched to the KLR for two reasons. First its a different style of riding. Time to smell the roses not just ride pavement for 10 hours. Second, the TAT has always been a bucket list item for me. I retired in Nov 18 so I am doing the ride next summer. Thinking early May for first half to OK. The OK to west coast starting ing Sep. I am 56 years old and officially switched to dual sport. Can’t wait to meet up with some other KLR guys. I am sure I have plenty to learn.

Hey, welcome. Cool to have a new rider in town.

If you are on FB, check out Ellis County Adventure / Dual Sport Riders. We tend to put together local rides there.

I know of a bunch of cool dirt roads in the area if you want to take a spin sometime.

You bet, I went out this morning for about two hours, east and north towards Palmer. Back roads, a little gravel, and one field crossing. I may have to join facebook to be in the loop.

If you're not on there already, no reason to join just for that. I can always message you if rides are happening.

@Tim Scholz is also in the area and is free to ride during the week a lot.

I'm still a working slob and relegated to the weekend rides mostly.

@MacDaddy also lives nearby and rides during the week sometimes I think as well.

I'm definitely going up to the Rich Mountain Rendevous deal in September.

MacDaddy, 2WheelNut, GLFlyer and others are also headed up to Arkansas for a smaller group ride the week after. I can't make that one.

Roll the Bones is only an hour and a half away this year in October. I'm planning on riding down for that. Otherwise, I've already burned most of my vacation days on trip rides this year, so it will be local Saturday/Sunday rides for me mostly here on out for 2019.

Hello All

I am returning to riding after about a 12 year break. I grew up on dirt bikes, seems like a 100 years ago:). I have owned and ridden five different large street bikes from a Gold Wing to a Road King. I just purchased my new love, a 2012 KLR650. It is my first time in the dual sport world and I am excited about exploring all the back roads. I live in Waxahachie, Texas and have been out exploring the local area. Look forward to meeting guys and joining in on some rides. This forum is fantastic and tons of good information. View attachment 241741
Welcome, I live near Maypearl and ride mostly during the week as I make my money mostly on weekends. One ride next Thursday 29th (dfw slacker run) and the pie run on Sat 31.

Hello All

I am returning to riding after about a 12 year break. I grew up on dirt bikes, seems like a 100 years ago:). I have owned and ridden five different large street bikes from a Gold Wing to a Road King. I just purchased my new love, a 2012 KLR650. It is my first time in the dual sport world and I am excited about exploring all the back roads. I live in Waxahachie, Texas and have been out exploring the local area. Look forward to meeting guys and joining in on some rides. This forum is fantastic and tons of good information. View attachment 241741
Good looking klr
:welcome:

Have been glancing at upcoming rides. Would love to do the AR Sep ride just not sure I will be back from a DC trip in time. It may workout, we’ll just have to wait a bit to know for sure. Switched to the KLR for two reasons. First its a different style of riding. Time to smell the roses not just ride pavement for 10 hours. Second, the TAT has always been a bucket list item for me. I retired in Nov 18 so I am doing the ride next summer. Thinking early May for first half to OK. The OK to west coast starting ing Sep. I am 56 years old and officially switched to dual sport. Can’t wait to meet up with some other KLR guys. I am sure I have plenty to learn.
Have you done any motorcycle camping off the KLR yet? We do that around here sometimes.

Welcome, I live near Maypearl and ride mostly during the week as I make my money mostly on weekends. One ride next Thursday 29th (dfw slacker run) and the pie run on Sat 31.
May look into the two rides you mentioned. I too am available to ride during the week. Just exploring the local roads lately to get a good feel for the bike. We will have to knock out a ride within the next few weeks.

Have you done any motorcycle camping off the KLR yet? We do that around here sometimes.
No bike camping yet. I used to hike and camp a lot so I have the gear. Sounds like a blast. Been thinking about Big Bend sometime in the near future.

Welcome aboard! Your going to love that bike. I got bit by the Dualsport bug from a bunch of guys here, camping out at Fort Richardson back in 2013/14. I saw all their bikes and just knew I had to have one. It just looked like so much fun. Picked up a 14 Klr used with 1200 miles and put nearly 20k on it before I sold it wanting something smaller and nimble. I’m on a DRZ400 now.
I’m not far from you, in Arlington. I ride out your way from time to time to get away. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. We can explore some of the area.

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! from Whitney ....

Welcome aboard! Your going to love that bike. I got bit by the Dualsport bug from a bunch of guys here, camping out at Fort Richardson back in 2013/14. I saw all their bikes and just knew I had to have one. It just looked like so much fun. Picked up a 14 Klr used with 1200 miles and put nearly 20k on it before I sold it wanting something smaller and nimble. I’m on a DRZ400 now.
I’m not far from you, in Arlington. I ride out your way from time to time to get away. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. We can explore some of the area.

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric, that sounds great. I am headed to DC until the 18th. But after that I will reach out.

Back