• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Irish Day dirt road ride

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
Well I am off from work for spring break so I decided to take a solo ride for some dirt road exploring. I headed up FM 1774 from Plantersville, TX. to Anderson, TX. and took a bunch of different CR roads, then made my way up past Carlos, TX. via the dirt. It was a bit dusty, but I had a blast. I even ran across some blue bonnets on one of the back roads. Total mileage was right at 200 miles and I only got sprinkled on once.

Here I ended up on somebody's ranch via a private dirt road..think it was the Butler ranch north of Plantersville
3-17-06dsridesolo002.jpg

Turned around and headed back out....
3-17-06dsridesolo004.jpg

Found some neat old church's, this was the Macedonia Baptist church on CR 209 I think..
3-17-06dsridesolo009.jpg

No I didn't open the fence i just wandered upon it..
3-17-06dsridesolo019.jpg

Here is the Pleasant Grove Missionary
3-17-06dsridesolo025.jpg

Here I was starting to get the monkey butt so I took a break
3-17-06dsridesolo027.jpg

Found a cool entrance to a nice cattle ranch
3-17-06dsridesolo029.jpg

Ahh... and it is that time of the year for the Blue Bonnets
3-17-06dsridesolo031.jpg

3-17-06dsridesolo033.jpg

3-17-06dsridesolo039.jpg

another monkey butt break
3-17-06dsridesolo040.jpg

The power plant from one of the many County Roads I was on
3-17-06dsridesolo043.jpg

Some old buildings southeast of Dobbin, Texas
3-12-06dsridesolo001.jpg

Ahhh bug juice...the true sign you had a good ride!
3-17-06dsridesolo046.jpg

Nice bluebonnet shots. I haven't seen any around DFW yet - I'm afraid it has been too dry and the crop will be slim this year...

Thanks, the blue bonnets are just starting to bloom. This was pretty much the only patch I saw all day.

Dang, I so wanted to call in sick yesterday...my Suzuki would have looked so good behind those bluebonnets! We're still waiting on the data card to come in for the 276c, still got no maps!

Georgiapeach said:
Dang, I so wanted to call in sick yesterday...my Suzuki would have looked so good behind those bluebonnets! We're still waiting on the data card to come in for the 276c, still got no maps!
I slipped in this ride before all the rain starts, although the weather men have been saying it is going to rain for 2 day's now. So your 276 did not come with a data card?

Great report and Pics!

I am looking at getting a compact digital camera that takes OK shots but would not be a heartbreaker, dollarwise, if it got damaged in the course of a bit of rough riding. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might fit that bill?

I have a Kodak Z760 that I really like, but it's a bit bulky.

What do you use, Bryan?

Hey thanks Danny, I use a sony cyber shot DSC-P72 it is a couple years old and is only 3.2 megapixels. It is kinda bulky, I think they are alot smaller now day's but it takes a pretty good picture and movie clips.
DANNYROTH said:
Great report and Pics!

I am looking at getting a compact digital camera that takes OK shots but would not be a heartbreaker, dollarwise, if it got damaged in the course of a bit of rough riding. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might fit that bill?

I have a Kodak Z760 that I really like, but it's a bit bulky.

What do you use, Bryan?

Bryan,
Great photos! What brand and model tires are you running? I've got to replace the tires on my KTM but can't decide what to get. How are your tires wearing? They look pretty aggressive.
Hugh:rider:

vfrhugh said:
Bryan,
Great photos! What brand and model tires are you running? I've got to replace the tires on my KTM but can't decide what to get. How are your tires wearing? They look pretty aggressive.
Hey thanks Hugh, I am running the Dunlop D606 on front and rear. So far I love them, Tourmeister ordered them with his order at swmototire for 60 bucks each and free shipping when you order 2 tires or more. They really do well in the dirt but are fairly noisy on the road, but hey I love the roar of em'. They handle suprisingly well on the street, I have scrapped my boot toes a few times on some corners. I have about 2200 miles on this set and they have half the tread left, I estimate 4600 to 5000 miles before I have to replace them.:rider:

I was leaning toward the Maxis but I've always been a Dunlop guy. That's the kind of testimony I'm looking for. If I can get a couple of thousand miles on a set of knobbies, I'll be a happy man. Your front looks a little worse for wear than the back. You must be working on your stoppies. I don't have any experience with swmototire but I'll check them out.
Thanks for it input,
Hugh

I have ordered from SWmototires.com for several years. Only once in quite a few orders have they messed something up. The new tire was shipped immediately. I usually have them 1-2 days after ordering.

I ordered my Dunlops Monday night and they showed up yesterday afternoon. I'm putting Southwest Moto Tires http://www.swmototires.com on my good guy list. $122.90 delivered in two working days, fantastic!

newtire.jpg

Holey rim lock!!! I forgot how hard knobby tires are to change. It took me 3 hours to change the front and rear. Putting the new ones one was easy; it’s getting the old ones off without scratching the rim that kicked my butt. I had to resort to fishing weights to balance them. A quick run up the street confirmed how out of balance the old ones were. I put Dunlop 606’s on so I’m really legal now.

Nice, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I am about ready for another set, I have about 3,000 miles on mine but after all that rough terrain in Clayton I might have about 1,000 miles left on them.

Bryan,
What air pressure do you run on you 606's? I put about 60 miles on these with 24psig in them. The rear seems good but I wonder about the front. It looks a little low. The bike rides 100% better on road with these tires. Balancing makes a huge difference.

vfrhugh said:
Bryan,
What air pressure do you run on you 606's? I put about 60 miles on these with 24psig in them. The rear seems good but I wonder about the front. It looks a little low. The bike rides 100% better on road with these tires. Balancing makes a huge difference.
I have been running 25 in the front and about 28 in the rear.

OK, I think I'm in the ballpark withe 24 f/r.
Thanks,
Hugh

Back