• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Iron Butt Ride to the Left Coast

Great trip! These are some of my old stomping grounds. Used to ski at Mammoth Mountain every year. Did you explore June Lake Village or Mammoth Lakes? Ugh! You got the misty-eyed memory juices flowing.

Nope - all snowed in. Aunt Peachie also has a place in Lee Vining and moves into Bishop when the roads become impassable.

New Year's Day. Bishop, CA. After breakfast at Denny's and fueling up I hit the road around 10am. I was thinking I sure hope the locals here don't take this view for granted.

IMAG0869-XL.jpg

Once again, no precipitation in the forecast. I can't believe I'm actually talking about crossing yet another mountain pass, this time Westgard pass at 7,000ft in winter but I am - and I did. There is even a section where CA-168 goes to single lane between the rocks. Fantastic. I only got one shot here but hopefully my son can stabilize the shaky GoPro video footage.

IMAG0870-XL.jpg

The decent into Nevada gave a striking view too. (Wait for the video) I had neither the time nor inclination to stop in Vegas so I got gas and pressed on. I did however, stop here. I did not venture around back where they keep the dancing alien girls.

IMAG0872-XL.jpg

I'd like to see the Grand Canyon again someday but not today. And there was a long line to get to the Hoover Dam visitor's center so I rode on. Hwy 93 into Phoenix may have been a beautiful ride but nondescript after dark. I made it as far as Eloy AZ and checked into the Motel 6 around 11:30pm.

bishop%20to%20eloy-L.png

January 2nd. I'm still 1200 miles from home. I learned we're short an employee at the shop so I have to report for duty Saturday the 4th. No problem.

I stopped to meet a facebook rider buddy, Steve Loster of Victory Police Motorcycles of Tucson. He gave me the grand tour. Very impressive. It seems more and more law enforcement agencies are retiring their Harley and BMW fleets in favor of Victory. And it's no wonder. These guys deliver a fully integrated, built to order, duty ready machine that doesn't have to go out to a third party for radio, lights, etc. My guess is they're cranking out around 5 police bikes per week. Steve rattled off an impressive list of his Texas clients too, Denton, Corpus and Missouri City to name a few. He showed me some nice features such as foot board/crash bar arrangement that allows 34 degrees of lean and the bike will not fall over. Officers can bail off the bike for foot pursuit without taking time to put down the sidestand. I was most impressed with the keypad on the bars that pops the left side case and for 15 seconds releases the electronic lock on the AR-15 inside. Slick. :trust:

I also took time to take in Arizona's rugged beauty.

IMAG0873-XL.jpg

IMAG0875-XL.jpg

So I think I figured out why Deming New Mexico is soooo cold at night.

continental-divide-newmexico33-L.jpg

Is it beginning to feel like I'm beating it home yet? That's alright.

Back in Texas. I made it through moderate traffic in El Paso. I skipped Ft Hancock on the way out so I had to stop this time.

IMAG0883-XL.jpg

Oh look! There's Morgan Freemen stepping off the Greyhound! :rofl:

Of course while in Ft Hancock I couldn't resist a world famous Angie Burger.

IMAG0885-XL.jpg

:eat:
Angie made it herself.

IMAG0886-XL.jpg

9pm. Alright I'll admit it. It's cold! I pulled off somewhere to layer up.

IMAG0887-XL.jpg

I split the distance to home at Ft Stockton. I had been running 75mph in low 30's for hours. The Motel 6 was full but someone there obviously has a sense of humor.

IMAG0888-XL.jpg

So I lugged my gear up the stairs at the Super 8.

January 3rd. Continental breakfast - Republic of Texas style.

IMAG0889-XL.jpg

The day was a little warmer and crazy windy but otherwise nondescript. I rolled into the garage at 11pm.

4848 glorious miles in 10 blissful days and 2 IBA certs. I can't think of a better way to ring in the new year. :rider:

I've ridden in the cold and I've ridden long distances in short periods of time, but never ridden in the cold for long distances. You da MAN. Enjoyed your pics.

Great stuff, thanks for taking us along for the ride. Admittedly, I was warmer during the ride than you were. :D

Terrific report Ken. Did you lose weight on this trip from all the shivering and calorie burning to stay warm? :clap:

Terrific report Ken. Did you lose weight on this trip from all the shivering and calorie burning to stay warm? :clap:

Yeah I'm in great shape now. Back in November I came to the rude realization that I had to drop 10# to fit in my winter gear. I lost another 5 on the trip. Shivering was held to a minimum by my electrics which performed admirably. I'm ready to go again.:rider:

I took about 4 hours of video on the trip but much of it is just too shaky to use. My son is helping me sort through and stabilize it.

Here's some taken on US-395 December 31st. Enjoy! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gcCrfgQ1q0"]US-395 12/31/2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Here's Westgard Pass new year's day.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNy0LScvYY"]Westgard Pass 01/01/2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Here's another one.

I was wishing I wasn't under such time constraints and could have enjoyed US-50 to Lake Tahoe in daylight. Riding it at night below freezing was a whole different deal. :eek2:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qG_-tqz6MM"]California December 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Ken,

Thanks for sharing! BTW, did you have a throttle lock during those long stretches? How was the buffeting on the 919 with your screen set-up? What is the range on the stock tank during your trip?

Great video clips and story telling. Congratulations on the two IB accomplishments for this trip.

:clap:

RB

Ken,

Thanks for sharing! BTW, did you have a throttle lock during those long stretches? How was the buffeting on the 919 with your screen set-up? What is the range on the stock tank during your trip?

Great video clips and story telling. Congratulations on the two IB accomplishments for this trip.

:clap:

RB
Thanks again Red for your kind words. This is the first trip I have used a throttle lock on. I never had a problem with my right wrist but I figured I'm 56 and not getting any younger so what the heck. I got this Go-Cruise on ebay for $30 and I really like it.

go%20cruise-M.jpg

The bike was naked. I had to do something quick. I bought the windshield cheap to use while I shopped for a proper one. My expectations were not high but this National Cycle Street Shield does an excellent job of directing the wind with no buffeting whatsoever.

The 919 has a 5.2 gallon tank. In ideal conditions at reasonable speeds it gets as much as 43mpg. On this trip on I-10 through West Texas and New Mexico at 75mph in a headwind with temps in the 20's it got as low as 33mpg. I got gas every 140 miles or so on that stretch.

Here's a link to the thread that explains how my 919 (The Tigress) came about. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66262

Here's more pics.

I didn't realize it at the time but my BBG1500 hopes were dashed right here between Waco and Temple.

wacko%20waco%20traffic-XL.jpg

Arizona sunset, December 27th.

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%207.57.38%20AM-XL.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%208.02.57%20AM-XL.png

The landscape along Diablo Grande Parkway off I-5 looked like a litter of shar-pei puppies.

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%208.05.40%20AM-XL.png

And that Pacific Coast Highway - I'd love to take 2 or 3 weeks just to ride it end to end.

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%208.12.16%20AM-XL.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%2012.10.03%20PM-XL.png

US-395 was spectacular too. I was so lucky to get to see it in winter.

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%201.35.34%20PM-XL.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%201.37.27%20PM-XL.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-01%20at%201.40.08%20PM-XL.png

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I was so amped trying to get the BBG I didn't give any thought to the SS1000 since you're not allowed to dual certify those two. It wasn't until after my BB1500/SS2000 packet arrived that I went back and did the math. I had done 1022 miles in just under 15 hours when I reached El Paso. So I applied for the in-state TEXAS SS1000.

ss1000%20TEXAS%20cert-XL.jpg

And it comes with the coolest pin ever!

Here's my windscreen properly adorned.

IMAG0967-X2.jpg

I've never been much for patches but I needed to cover a spot. So I ordered a "Mile Eater" patch to cover the spot on the arm of my heated base layer where I laid it on the table and didn't see the candle burning. I think it's a cool one and what the heck, I earned it. :mrgreen:

IMAG0941-XL.jpg

Nice!

Just started my new job. There's a bunch of motorcycle guys there. They immediately hit me up about my IBA plate on my bike. It was a good introduction. :D

Back